What happened to Black tagger crews

Discuss general Black gangs in Los Angeles County which include Bloods, Crips, Hustlers, Crews and Independent groups in Los Angeles County here.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

What happened to Black tagger crews

Unread post by alexalonso » October 17th, 2012, 2:21 pm

During the 1980s and early 1990s there were several black tagger crews in LA but today, I dont think that blacks are into the tagger crew culture anymore. What happened?

Hispanics and whites are heavily involved in tagging still.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Re: What happened to Black tagger crews

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 18th, 2012, 6:57 am

One explanation could be Black subcultures tend to move faster with trends than say, Mexican subcultures.

I mean... you see how long Mexicans hold on to Oldies lol. Natural to see more Mexican youths still into tagging culture, happy to carry on a tradition that's generations old at this point. Taking a big chunk of history and maybe adapting it here and there. Tagbanging will never be what it was in the early to mid 90's but everything else is similar.

To tell you the truth I think graff and tagging got played out amongst Black youths.

Saw an article about the Black graffiti writer Sight that got 4 years in the state pen for graffiti. He got an example made out of him in a way that was really messed up.

http://www.laweekly.com/2012-08-30/news ... t-artists/
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012 ... ed_job.php

Not for nothing but I think it's possible white graffiti artists tend to get slaps on the wrist, say like Revok who did 180 days. Vs. Sight that did 4 years. (and Revok is much higher profile in the graff scene I think)

Street art and gallery art kind of intertwine in the white, Hollywood side of things. Another Black graff artist turned gallery artist Retna who was down with a predominantly white crew made a $1,000,000 IN ONE NIGHT at a show out here in NYC. But far as majority Black crews like let's say maybe KWS or whatever from South Central, stakes are higher due to the intertwining of police profiling, gangbanging, and isolation from the more profitable side of graff (i.e. selling and designing gear, getting paid for murals and all that). There's too much risk and not enough reward in the hood to be pursuing graff I think

Out here in NY there's a little bit of a conflict with new "street art" hipster white graffiti and the traditional graff, a lot of it done by Black and Latinos. Read the comments on this vid of Noxer (Black from DOD Department of Defense crew) vs. Jesus Saves (Latino but getting a lot of mural jobs in the hipster side of Bushwick / Brooklyn)

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » October 18th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Ok ima justspeak for blacks.....

the tagger scene died when clicks came up to rise in LA (BEFORE, all these gay tattoo clicks you have nowdays...) which was arpund 1999~2004~6~ or 7 it was short lived. once niggas started getting into gang click warfare niggaas was better in gangs because with black gangs numbers going down mass recruitment was needed everywhere....at a time youhad niggas claiming more alledgence to there click than the gang they were born in (it was serious) at times certain clicks would have more members than most big gangs at events it was getting ugly until around the end everywhere in LA. Black gangs started to mass recruit through clicks bringing in 50~100 niggaz in a weeks notice.sSome were good through politics and some got beat out there clicks and recruited by blacks gangs. ask any nigga das 22~early 30s... 9/10 they were in a click while in there same gang. its crazy...and nowdays its back to do you gangbang or not..lol.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » October 21st, 2012, 10:17 am

Graffiti dead for Blacks late 80s, by early 90s it was a wrap. White boys and Hispanics dominate that culture. The only elements of hip hop blacks still cling to is the music side, rapping, dj, and trendy dances.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » October 21st, 2012, 2:10 pm

I dropped by Piece Fest on Venice and Union last week and didnt see much blacks at all. Create is one of the few blacks that still doing his thing, but that event was Hispanic and white dominated.

I wonder if in New York the graffiti seen is still popular among blacks?

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 22nd, 2012, 9:26 am

went to the graff hall of fame on 106 and park in Harlem last month.
http://whatyouwrite.files.wordpress.com ... f_web1.jpg

lotta old school cats are black and spanish like the dude Straightman aka Lava 1&2 who has a good documentary I suggest seeing on the first wave of graffiti in Harlem and the Bronx

lotta new representation was from Europe or Latin America. Not a lot of young black writers

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » January 7th, 2013, 3:56 pm

the first writers in L.A. were black guys and white hipster types. It didn't take long for Latinos and regular hoodrat whites to dominate the scene however. I think Blacks simply lost interest in that branch of hip-hop.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » July 12th, 2013, 12:58 am

the main reason is that og black gangsters in the 80's and 90's made it a point to remove blacks from that scene especially the og's in the 80's who made their stripes in the 70's, they had a connection to or were familiar with the 60's and 70's black power movement . Graffiti just for graffiti was seen as self destruction of a neighborhood and nothing really to gain from it like gangs (respect, manhood, money etc) gang graffiti was seen as gang territory markings which served a purpose.
the graffiti culture comes from being an outsider, like young whites who feel outside of mainstream america or dont fit in or dont want to fit in. blacks naturally feel that way and hispanics also. the whites that do graffit continue to feel that way because every dominant culture like the whites in america will have their outsiders within their own people. The latino graffiti movement comes from immigrant or latino youths who feel not part of society. and blacks also but were strongly encouraged to not take part in this type of destruction. In LA , latinos were also strongly encouraged by og mexcian gangsters to not take part in this type of scene but with so many immigrants in it, it was harder for the mexican og's to keep a handle on it like the og black gangsters did.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » July 12th, 2013, 11:38 am

i guess if it dont make dollass it dont make sens thats a basic street rule project kids may fall in that hobby for a second while very young but once in junior high most would aply the above rule because spendin money even doin time for grafitti is a must in busterism

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Black gangs”