What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Discuss general Black gangs in Los Angeles County which include Bloods, Crips, Hustlers, Crews and Independent groups in Los Angeles County here.
shaolinmonche
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: July 7th, 2017, 12:09 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Orange

What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby shaolinmonche » December 8th, 2017, 7:57 am

What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?
Example: Shoreline Crips in Venice

LionTheOracle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: April 30th, 2017, 2:07 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby LionTheOracle » December 8th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Most East Side neighborhoods really. West Side not so much. But I am seeing more and more white people move in to the far west like Inglewood.

Rodney121
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 44
Joined: April 23rd, 2016, 2:21 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Virginia
What city do you live in now?: Alexandria

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby Rodney121 » January 27th, 2018, 10:56 am

LionTheOracle wrote:Most East Side neighborhoods really. West Side not so much. But I am seeing more and more white people move in to the far west like Inglewood.

East side neighborhoods is more due to demographic change...correct?

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » January 29th, 2018, 2:02 pm

shaolinmonche wrote:What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?
Example: Shoreline Crips in Venice


Venice Shoreline Crips is probably the best example.

GraveYard Gangster Crips in Santa Monica

Blastin Fools Gangster Crips in Palms

Mansfield Gangster Crips -- I saw an organic food mart spring up in that area, and various trendy cafes.

By Yo'self Gangster Crips in the PicFair area... a lot more White people walking their dogs in that area. Never saw White people there in the 90's. A lot of new nice apartments/condos developed there.

Playboy Gangster Crips -- various redevelopment to their north along Pico, to their west is nice neighborhoods... Their hood is less than a mile from the border of Beverly Hills.

Hoods that could be gentrified in the near-future:

Black P Stone Jungles -- they're about to redevelop the Crenshaw Plaza and have it look more like The Grove, and put a subway station there. Might not be many White people moving in, but more upscale Black people. A lot more commerce & money will be coming to that area. And to the west of their hood is a bit nicer. I know a White engineer who lives in that area in the foot of Baldwin Hills.

Village Stone Bloods -- same reason as BPS... that White engineer lives just a couple blocks south of VSB hood.

Baldwin Hills Gangster Crips -- same reason as BPS/VSB -- I heard they don't really have much of a presence right now anyways, but their hood isn't far from a lot of studios in Culver City, and then you've got that Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook that attracts a lot of hipsters that is basically becoming a lesser-known Runyon Canyon.



I'm not familiar with gangs in the Valley but I know there are a few Black gangs in the Valley which I think could be ripe for gentrification... Same with the Altadena sets...

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » January 29th, 2018, 2:04 pm

LionTheOracle wrote:Most East Side neighborhoods really. West Side not so much. But I am seeing more and more white people move in to the far west like Inglewood.


As someone else pointed out, I think the East Side Black hoods are getting affected more by demographic changes from Black to Hispanic, not really due to gentrification.

And I have heard parts of west Inglewood have more White people living there.

WLA PALMS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 581
Joined: April 12th, 2004, 2:21 pm
Location: WEST L.A.

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby WLA PALMS » January 31st, 2018, 12:57 am

TheAngels wrote:
shaolinmonche wrote:What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?
Example: Shoreline Crips in Venice


Venice Shoreline Crips is probably the best example.

GraveYard Gangster Crips in Santa Monica

Blastin Fools Gangster Crips in Palms

Mansfield Gangster Crips -- I saw an organic food mart spring up in that area, and various trendy cafes.

By Yo'self Gangster Crips in the PicFair area... a lot more White people walking their dogs in that area. Never saw White people there in the 90's. A lot of new nice apartments/condos developed there.

Playboy Gangster Crips -- various redevelopment to their north along Pico, to their west is nice neighborhoods... Their hood is less than a mile from the border of Beverly Hills.

Hoods that could be gentrified in the near-future:

Black P Stone Jungles -- they're about to redevelop the Crenshaw Plaza and have it look more like The Grove, and put a subway station there. Might not be many White people moving in, but more upscale Black people. A lot more commerce & money will be coming to that area. And to the west of their hood is a bit nicer. I know a White engineer who lives in that area in the foot of Baldwin Hills.

Village Stone Bloods -- same reason as BPS... that White engineer lives just a couple blocks south of VSB hood.

Baldwin Hills Gangster Crips -- same reason as BPS/VSB -- I heard they don't really have much of a presence right now anyways, but their hood isn't far from a lot of studios in Culver City, and then you've got that Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook that attracts a lot of hipsters that is basically becoming a lesser-known Runyon Canyon.



I'm not familiar with gangs in the Valley but I know there are a few Black gangs in the Valley which I think could be ripe for gentrification... Same with the Altadena sets...




You're pretty right on the money. Gentrification began in Playboy Gangsta Crips area back in 1995. The city of L.A. began with their part of the city first because Beverly Hills is just across Pico blvd to the north. That lil neighborhood to the west of Playboy Gangsta Crips turf just across Robertson blvd is called Beverlywood, and it's very nice up in there, pretty much a miniature Beverly Hills, and Cheviot Hills is adjacent going west all the way to the Westside Pavilion Mall. During the gang wars of the 1980's, those suburbs were of course untouched and unaffected by the gang wars happening in PBG's area, but their area is way too close to those suburbs and when the city finally figured out how to clean up the neighborhood, gentrification is how it happened. My area in the Palms area has been hella gentrified too for the same reason as PBG's area. Back in the 1990's, the Palms area has always been lower to middle class and has always had a "black" feel or "black" influence to the area because there were a lot of us living over there, but of course when the Blastin' Fools took control of the area, the police aggressively tried to clean up the area because there were shootings, robberies, drug dealing, etc. Venice was next with the gentrification. Gentrification pretty much began on the Westside because those white/jewish property owners under pressure from the city of L.A. were forced to clean up their properties. They stopped accepting Section 8 for starters, and that's how it went downhill from there. The Westside is too prominent and the property is worth so much because of it's location, on the Westside of the city, close to the beach. That's why it's so expensive to live over there now, and "white flight" is now "white influx". Lmao, along with other races of people who really weren't living over there before, such as Asians and Indians. Back in the day, West L.A. was black, hispanic, and white. That organic food you're talking about in Mansfield Gangsta Crips area is where Oki Dog used to be, on Pico and Redondo Blvd. The Jungles is already experiencing gentrification and has been since 2009. When the city put the Jungle Stones bloods on that injunction, that's when they built those two high rise condos on Santa Rosalia and Stocker, those senior apartments on Buckingham and Santa Rosalia. Now, Kaiser Permanente has medical offices there, and yes, they are going to redevelop the Crenshaw Mall to look a lot like The Grove. I've seen the artists rendering of what it looks like when it's finished, and they are also going to tear down those senior apartments on King Blvd and Marlton Ave, across the street from the movie theater. They also are going to relocate Albertson's too, and of course, the Metro Crenshaw/LAX line is under construction too. It's going to run underground under Crenshaw blvd and I think come above ground along those train tracks after Hyde Park Blvd, right before you get to Florence Ave. A lot of redevelopment going on in the ghetto. Haha.

User avatar
advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 379
Joined: May 5th, 2004, 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby advocate » January 31st, 2018, 1:59 pm

What about by USC? Has it affected hoods near there? 20s/FTB/HPS?

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » February 1st, 2018, 11:27 am

advocate wrote:What about by USC? Has it affected hoods near there? 20s/FTB/HPS?


I know USC has campus security posted throughout FTB hood. USC just built the $700 million USC Village on Jefferson.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » February 1st, 2018, 12:51 pm

WLA PALMS wrote:
TheAngels wrote:
shaolinmonche wrote:What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?
Example: Shoreline Crips in Venice


Venice Shoreline Crips is probably the best example.

GraveYard Gangster Crips in Santa Monica

Blastin Fools Gangster Crips in Palms

Mansfield Gangster Crips -- I saw an organic food mart spring up in that area, and various trendy cafes.

By Yo'self Gangster Crips in the PicFair area... a lot more White people walking their dogs in that area. Never saw White people there in the 90's. A lot of new nice apartments/condos developed there.

Playboy Gangster Crips -- various redevelopment to their north along Pico, to their west is nice neighborhoods... Their hood is less than a mile from the border of Beverly Hills.

Hoods that could be gentrified in the near-future:

Black P Stone Jungles -- they're about to redevelop the Crenshaw Plaza and have it look more like The Grove, and put a subway station there. Might not be many White people moving in, but more upscale Black people. A lot more commerce & money will be coming to that area. And to the west of their hood is a bit nicer. I know a White engineer who lives in that area in the foot of Baldwin Hills.

Village Stone Bloods -- same reason as BPS... that White engineer lives just a couple blocks south of VSB hood.

Baldwin Hills Gangster Crips -- same reason as BPS/VSB -- I heard they don't really have much of a presence right now anyways, but their hood isn't far from a lot of studios in Culver City, and then you've got that Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook that attracts a lot of hipsters that is basically becoming a lesser-known Runyon Canyon.



I'm not familiar with gangs in the Valley but I know there are a few Black gangs in the Valley which I think could be ripe for gentrification... Same with the Altadena sets...




You're pretty right on the money. Gentrification began in Playboy Gangsta Crips area back in 1995. The city of L.A. began with their part of the city first because Beverly Hills is just across Pico blvd to the north. That lil neighborhood to the west of Playboy Gangsta Crips turf just across Robertson blvd is called Beverlywood, and it's very nice up in there, pretty much a miniature Beverly Hills, and Cheviot Hills is adjacent going west all the way to the Westside Pavilion Mall. During the gang wars of the 1980's, those suburbs were of course untouched and unaffected by the gang wars happening in PBG's area, but their area is way too close to those suburbs and when the city finally figured out how to clean up the neighborhood, gentrification is how it happened. My area in the Palms area has been hella gentrified too for the same reason as PBG's area. Back in the 1990's, the Palms area has always been lower to middle class and has always had a "black" feel or "black" influence to the area because there were a lot of us living over there, but of course when the Blastin' Fools took control of the area, the police aggressively tried to clean up the area because there were shootings, robberies, drug dealing, etc. Venice was next with the gentrification. Gentrification pretty much began on the Westside because those white/jewish property owners under pressure from the city of L.A. were forced to clean up their properties. They stopped accepting Section 8 for starters, and that's how it went downhill from there. The Westside is too prominent and the property is worth so much because of it's location, on the Westside of the city, close to the beach. That's why it's so expensive to live over there now, and "white flight" is now "white influx". Lmao, along with other races of people who really weren't living over there before, such as Asians and Indians. Back in the day, West L.A. was black, hispanic, and white. That organic food you're talking about in Mansfield Gangsta Crips area is where Oki Dog used to be, on Pico and Redondo Blvd. The Jungles is already experiencing gentrification and has been since 2009. When the city put the Jungle Stones bloods on that injunction, that's when they built those two high rise condos on Santa Rosalia and Stocker, those senior apartments on Buckingham and Santa Rosalia. Now, Kaiser Permanente has medical offices there, and yes, they are going to redevelop the Crenshaw Mall to look a lot like The Grove. I've seen the artists rendering of what it looks like when it's finished, and they are also going to tear down those senior apartments on King Blvd and Marlton Ave, across the street from the movie theater. They also are going to relocate Albertson's too, and of course, the Metro Crenshaw/LAX line is under construction too. It's going to run underground under Crenshaw blvd and I think come above ground along those train tracks after Hyde Park Blvd, right before you get to Florence Ave. A lot of redevelopment going on in the ghetto. Haha.


From what I recall, one reason Playboy GC got a lot of attention was because they were the very first gang the city hit with an injunction, back in the late 80's. Not because they were the biggest or baddest gang in the city, but because where they were located -- they were near the wealthier areas... it was to protect them, and they felt they had a better chance of flipping the neighborhood to being "nice" since it wasn't deep in the ghetto (like a Hoover set or Grape Street is). I read that PBGC hood was a lot different back in the 80's than it is now -- they'd be out in the open near Cadillac & Corning, posted on the block, slanging and openly running shit. Seems like these days they have to be more quiet about it. I recall you said you originally came from PBGC hood before migrating to Palms. BFGC seems to be the offspring of PBGC... I'm guessing y'all are allies?

I was unfamiliar with Palms having a "Black feel" even though I passed through that area often in the 90's... I always thought it was a mix of White, Asian, Hispanic, and Black... but you'd know more than me. Maybe it didn't seem Black to me because I grew up in two areas that were "Blacker" -- first near Slauson & Crenshaw (border of 60s & VNG Brims hood), and later in Midtown in the heart of School Yard Crip territory. SYC hood has become predominantly Hispanic, although I'm guessing Slauson & Crenshaw is still predominantly Black.

I always thought Shoreline was the easiest to gentrify due to its location near the beach, especially with Abbot Kinney being rejuvenated... I was there maybe a month ago at Erewhon organic market, and noticed in that area is Vice Studios, Google's LA headquarters, Whole Foods, and White women walking to yoga studios... then you got Abbot Kinney which is now the "hot spot" for the yuppies... and that large apartment complex east of Lincoln near Penmar Park, which is more of the V13 side (I don't think Shoreline stayed there), has been redeveloped and seems to be mostly White yuppies now. A lot of the houses in the heart of Oakwood is being bought up and refurbished. I hear Shoreline has weekly meetups at Oakwood Park, and many Shorelines don't even live in the area anymore.

The Jungles got "cleaned up" from what I hear from locals. The injunction by the LAPD on BPS came down on them hard. I don't know if they're really being gentrified right now, but I know more Hispanics live there than before, and demographic changes always weaken a set. I used to go to summer camp at Jim Gilliam Park back in the early 90's and saw one Hispanic kid in the three years I've been there. Otherwise it seemed 99% Black. I just took a look at the Crenshaw Plaza redevelopment, and it says they're going to build luxury apartments, condos, and a hotel there, in addition to a modern outdoor mall. So there might be some Whites moving in that area...

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » February 1st, 2018, 1:03 pm

Hispanic sets having the same fate:

Sotel 13
Santa Monica 13
18th Street Hollywood Gangsters
Echo Park 13
Silver Lake 13
Avenues 13
Highland Park 13


Sotel does a lot of wall hitups to make it seem like they're deeper than they are, but I've heard they're about 20 deep as far as those active in the Sotel hood... I also noticed them crossing out Westside Locos in on the 10 freeway in the Palms area. And that's outside of Sotel territory.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » February 1st, 2018, 1:13 pm

Oh yeah, WLA Palms, I forgot to mention...

I'm guessing since it happened in your hood, you know about the Snoop Dogg murder case in the 90's? But I heard it was a BYSHC who got killed. What was a BYSHC doing in BFGC hood, and shooting it out with a Rollin 20s Crip from Long Beach?

WLA PALMS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 581
Joined: April 12th, 2004, 2:21 pm
Location: WEST L.A.

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby WLA PALMS » February 2nd, 2018, 12:07 am

TheAngels wrote:
WLA PALMS wrote:
TheAngels wrote:
shaolinmonche wrote:What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?
Example: Shoreline Crips in Venice


Venice Shoreline Crips is probably the best example.

GraveYard Gangster Crips in Santa Monica

Blastin Fools Gangster Crips in Palms

Mansfield Gangster Crips -- I saw an organic food mart spring up in that area, and various trendy cafes.

By Yo'self Gangster Crips in the PicFair area... a lot more White people walking their dogs in that area. Never saw White people there in the 90's. A lot of new nice apartments/condos developed there.

Playboy Gangster Crips -- various redevelopment to their north along Pico, to their west is nice neighborhoods... Their hood is less than a mile from the border of Beverly Hills.

Hoods that could be gentrified in the near-future:

Black P Stone Jungles -- they're about to redevelop the Crenshaw Plaza and have it look more like The Grove, and put a subway station there. Might not be many White people moving in, but more upscale Black people. A lot more commerce & money will be coming to that area. And to the west of their hood is a bit nicer. I know a White engineer who lives in that area in the foot of Baldwin Hills.

Village Stone Bloods -- same reason as BPS... that White engineer lives just a couple blocks south of VSB hood.

Baldwin Hills Gangster Crips -- same reason as BPS/VSB -- I heard they don't really have much of a presence right now anyways, but their hood isn't far from a lot of studios in Culver City, and then you've got that Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook that attracts a lot of hipsters that is basically becoming a lesser-known Runyon Canyon.



I'm not familiar with gangs in the Valley but I know there are a few Black gangs in the Valley which I think could be ripe for gentrification... Same with the Altadena sets...




You're pretty right on the money. Gentrification began in Playboy Gangsta Crips area back in 1995. The city of L.A. began with their part of the city first because Beverly Hills is just across Pico blvd to the north. That lil neighborhood to the west of Playboy Gangsta Crips turf just across Robertson blvd is called Beverlywood, and it's very nice up in there, pretty much a miniature Beverly Hills, and Cheviot Hills is adjacent going west all the way to the Westside Pavilion Mall. During the gang wars of the 1980's, those suburbs were of course untouched and unaffected by the gang wars happening in PBG's area, but their area is way too close to those suburbs and when the city finally figured out how to clean up the neighborhood, gentrification is how it happened. My area in the Palms area has been hella gentrified too for the same reason as PBG's area. Back in the 1990's, the Palms area has always been lower to middle class and has always had a "black" feel or "black" influence to the area because there were a lot of us living over there, but of course when the Blastin' Fools took control of the area, the police aggressively tried to clean up the area because there were shootings, robberies, drug dealing, etc. Venice was next with the gentrification. Gentrification pretty much began on the Westside because those white/jewish property owners under pressure from the city of L.A. were forced to clean up their properties. They stopped accepting Section 8 for starters, and that's how it went downhill from there. The Westside is too prominent and the property is worth so much because of it's location, on the Westside of the city, close to the beach. That's why it's so expensive to live over there now, and "white flight" is now "white influx". Lmao, along with other races of people who really weren't living over there before, such as Asians and Indians. Back in the day, West L.A. was black, hispanic, and white. That organic food you're talking about in Mansfield Gangsta Crips area is where Oki Dog used to be, on Pico and Redondo Blvd. The Jungles is already experiencing gentrification and has been since 2009. When the city put the Jungle Stones bloods on that injunction, that's when they built those two high rise condos on Santa Rosalia and Stocker, those senior apartments on Buckingham and Santa Rosalia. Now, Kaiser Permanente has medical offices there, and yes, they are going to redevelop the Crenshaw Mall to look a lot like The Grove. I've seen the artists rendering of what it looks like when it's finished, and they are also going to tear down those senior apartments on King Blvd and Marlton Ave, across the street from the movie theater. They also are going to relocate Albertson's too, and of course, the Metro Crenshaw/LAX line is under construction too. It's going to run underground under Crenshaw blvd and I think come above ground along those train tracks after Hyde Park Blvd, right before you get to Florence Ave. A lot of redevelopment going on in the ghetto. Haha.


From what I recall, one reason Playboy GC got a lot of attention was because they were the very first gang the city hit with an injunction, back in the late 80's. Not because they were the biggest or baddest gang in the city, but because where they were located -- they were near the wealthier areas... it was to protect them, and they felt they had a better chance of flipping the neighborhood to being "nice" since it wasn't deep in the ghetto (like a Hoover set or Grape Street is). I read that PBGC hood was a lot different back in the 80's than it is now -- they'd be out in the open near Cadillac & Corning, posted on the block, slanging and openly running shit. Seems like these days they have to be more quiet about it. I recall you said you originally came from PBGC hood before migrating to Palms. BFGC seems to be the offspring of PBGC... I'm guessing y'all are allies?

I was unfamiliar with Palms having a "Black feel" even though I passed through that area often in the 90's... I always thought it was a mix of White, Asian, Hispanic, and Black... but you'd know more than me. Maybe it didn't seem Black to me because I grew up in two areas that were "Blacker" -- first near Slauson & Crenshaw (border of 60s & VNG Brims hood), and later in Midtown in the heart of School Yard Crip territory. SYC hood has become predominantly Hispanic, although I'm guessing Slauson & Crenshaw is still predominantly Black.

I always thought Shoreline was the easiest to gentrify due to its location near the beach, especially with Abbot Kinney being rejuvenated... I was there maybe a month ago at Erewhon organic market, and noticed in that area is Vice Studios, Google's LA headquarters, Whole Foods, and White women walking to yoga studios... then you got Abbot Kinney which is now the "hot spot" for the yuppies... and that large apartment complex east of Lincoln near Penmar Park, which is more of the V13 side (I don't think Shoreline stayed there), has been redeveloped and seems to be mostly White yuppies now. A lot of the houses in the heart of Oakwood is being bought up and refurbished. I hear Shoreline has weekly meetups at Oakwood Park, and many Shorelines don't even live in the area anymore.

The Jungles got "cleaned up" from what I hear from locals. The injunction by the LAPD on BPS came down on them hard. I don't know if they're really being gentrified right now, but I know more Hispanics live there than before, and demographic changes always weaken a set. I used to go to summer camp at Jim Gilliam Park back in the early 90's and saw one Hispanic kid in the three years I've been there. Otherwise it seemed 99% Black. I just took a look at the Crenshaw Plaza redevelopment, and it says they're going to build luxury apartments, condos, and a hotel there, in addition to a modern outdoor mall. So there might be some Whites moving in that area...



Yes, the PBG's were the first gang in the city to get hit with an injunction. That was back in 1987, really late '86, and another reason why the injunction was levied against them was because the war with the 60's and other gangs were raging at that time, besides the outright open drug dealing, open gang banging, etc. Them fools were running shit back then because the laws weren't tough yet like they are now, and when the 3 strikes law went into effect in 1994. Like I mentioned too, gentrification started with their area because of their location, Beverly Hills to the west and north, as well as Cheviot Hills, Century City, and the more affluent parts of West L.A. A lot of people say the BFGC's are so called "offspring" of the PBG's. We are not "offspring" because we bang BFGC, not PBG. We did originally grow up in their area, but we also had a bunch of homies who grew up in the Palms too, and we always went back and forth between both areas, even as kids, and we met up with the other homies who grew up in the Palms when we got older. The PBG's are family, regardless, but we are BFGC.

As far as the Palms having a "black feel" to the area, I say that because there was always a black and hispanic gang presence over there. Some of the white people who lived over there hung out with the blacks and hispanics, there were very few Asians over there, but yeah, you lived in the 60's/VNG's and later in the SYC's, so yeah, those areas were always predominantly black, and yes, the Midtown area is mostly hispanic now, but the SYC's are still over there though, and I hear they're hella deep too, came up on some numbers in the past few years. Venice was easy to gentrify too because of it's location, right off the beach. Venice has a very deep history with Abbot Kinney being who he was, so when the city started gentrifying these gang "strongholds" or areas, areas like Venice got hit really hard too with the gentrification because of it's rich history and the city and community just plain got tired of the all the criminal activity happening over there. Property right off the beach is always going to be prime real estate, so the city attorney, the police, etc, aggressively cleaned the Westside up. Even though I hear a lot of Sho-lines don't live over there anymore, a lot of them still do, just like the PBG's are still in their area and us BFGC's are still in our area, even though for the most part, things have changed due to gentrification. As far as the Jungles are concerned, hell yeah they got cleaned up. That injunction came down on them like a hammer with operation "Stone cold", which was that big ass raid that happened that morning back in 2008! I was living off and on with a woman I was dealing with over there at that time, and I was awakened by L.A.P.D. and F.B.I. SWAT raiding every documented BPS's house simultaneously! I looked out the bathroom window and could see SWAT teams all over the place, hitting everybody's house, including the neighbors because they were from Jungles BPS. The Jungles is being gentrified now because there are a bunch of white people living over there now. I've seen them walking their dogs early in the morning, and they even set up dog poop trash cans all over the place, like it's Beverly Hills n shit. Lmao. Some of the apartments over there have been turned into condos. I remember seeing a letter in the mail about that happening, and a lot property owners and management companies east of Hillcrest Elementary School all the way to the Crenshaw Mall never accepted Section 8. That's when Jones and Jones Properties owned those properties, but they sold them and the new owners still don't accept Section 8. Back in the day when you were going to Jim Gilliam Park Summer Camp, the Jungles was 99% black and the Jungles had a notorious reputation back then! If you were gang bangin', you were advised not to get caught slippin' in the Jungles because either outsiders who were rival gang members were discovered and got dealt with, or were accidentally collateral damage when other gangs came through on them. When I was meeting women in traffic or off the internet, a lot of women wouldn't deal with me because they were afraid to come to the Jungles, even though I tried to tell them the area was not the same it was before. Lmao, but yeah though, the Jungles is changing rapidly.

WLA PALMS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 581
Joined: April 12th, 2004, 2:21 pm
Location: WEST L.A.

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby WLA PALMS » February 2nd, 2018, 12:23 am

TheAngels wrote:Oh yeah, WLA Palms, I forgot to mention...

I'm guessing since it happened in your hood, you know about the Snoop Dogg murder case in the 90's? But I heard it was a BYSHC who got killed. What was a BYSHC doing in BFGC hood, and shooting it out with a Rollin 20s Crip from Long Beach?



Yeah, the dude who got killed was from BYSHC. The dude from BYSHC had family who lived over there, and he was hangin' out and tryin' to sell his lil drugs over there. I hear Snoop Dogg owned property over there at that time, I'm not sure. I don't know why the dude got into it with Snoop Dogg and his people, but we all know what happened afterwards. This was way before we went to war with the BYSHC's.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » February 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

WLA PALMS wrote:
Yes, the PBG's were the first gang in the city to get hit with an injunction. That was back in 1987, really late '86, and another reason why the injunction was levied against them was because the war with the 60's and other gangs were raging at that time, besides the outright open drug dealing, open gang banging, etc. Them fools were running shit back then because the laws weren't tough yet like they are now, and when the 3 strikes law went into effect in 1994. Like I mentioned too, gentrification started with their area because of their location, Beverly Hills to the west and north, as well as Cheviot Hills, Century City, and the more affluent parts of West L.A. A lot of people say the BFGC's are so called "offspring" of the PBG's. We are not "offspring" because we bang BFGC, not PBG. We did originally grow up in their area, but we also had a bunch of homies who grew up in the Palms too, and we always went back and forth between both areas, even as kids, and we met up with the other homies who grew up in the Palms when we got older. The PBG's are family, regardless, but we are BFGC.


As far as the Palms having a "black feel" to the area, I say that because there was always a black and hispanic gang presence over there. Some of the white people who lived over there hung out with the blacks and hispanics, there were very few Asians over there, but yeah, you lived in the 60's/VNG's and later in the SYC's, so yeah, those areas were always predominantly black, and yes, the Midtown area is mostly hispanic now, but the SYC's are still over there though, and I hear they're hella deep too, came up on some numbers in the past few years. Venice was easy to gentrify too because of it's location, right off the beach. Venice has a very deep history with Abbot Kinney being who he was, so when the city started gentrifying these gang "strongholds" or areas, areas like Venice got hit really hard too with the gentrification because of it's rich history and the city and community just plain got tired of the all the criminal activity happening over there. Property right off the beach is always going to be prime real estate, so the city attorney, the police, etc, aggressively cleaned the Westside up. Even though I hear a lot of Sho-lines don't live over there anymore, a lot of them still do, just like the PBG's are still in their area and us BFGC's are still in our area, even though for the most part, things have changed due to gentrification. As far as the Jungles are concerned, hell yeah they got cleaned up. That injunction came down on them like a hammer with operation "Stone cold", which was that big ass raid that happened that morning back in 2008! I was living off and on with a woman I was dealing with over there at that time, and I was awakened by L.A.P.D. and F.B.I. SWAT raiding every documented BPS's house simultaneously! I looked out the bathroom window and could see SWAT teams all over the place, hitting everybody's house, including the neighbors because they were from Jungles BPS. The Jungles is being gentrified now because there are a bunch of white people living over there now. I've seen them walking their dogs early in the morning, and they even set up dog poop trash cans all over the place, like it's Beverly Hills n shit. Lmao. Some of the apartments over there have been turned into condos. I remember seeing a letter in the mail about that happening, and a lot property owners and management companies east of Hillcrest Elementary School all the way to the Crenshaw Mall never accepted Section 8. That's when Jones and Jones Properties owned those properties, but they sold them and the new owners still don't accept Section 8. Back in the day when you were going to Jim Gilliam Park Summer Camp, the Jungles was 99% black and the Jungles had a notorious reputation back then! If you were gang bangin', you were advised not to get caught slippin' in the Jungles because either outsiders who were rival gang members were discovered and got dealt with, or were accidentally collateral damage when other gangs came through on them. When I was meeting women in traffic or off the internet, a lot of women wouldn't deal with me because they were afraid to come to the Jungles, even though I tried to tell them the area was not the same it was before. Lmao, but yeah though, the Jungles is changing rapidly.




Interesting that you say the SYC's are still deep today... I remember reading a post here a few weeks ago from Alex Alonso and others saying the School Yards aren't deep there right now. I responded saying it likely has to do with demographic shifts and all the OGs either moved out or in jail.

I don't know, I don't live in Midtown anymore and I visit there maybe once a month. Haven't paid much attention to the gang situation there. But I assume like in all parts of LA, Midtown gangbanging ain't at the levels it was in the 90's and 80's. It's been on the downfall citywide since the late 90's.

Very interesting firsthand account of the federal raids in the Jungles. I do remember reading about the raids. They did another raid in 2011 too. I'm wondering if the 2008 raid was the result of that BPS dude who shot and killed a 3-year-old girl in 2006. He mistook a Mexican dude walking with his daughter as being from 18th Street. I don't know if the BPS dude is slow or was high, but why would an 18th Street dude walk in the Jungles by himself with his daughter (and live there)? But I remember that made the news, and I wonder if that put their hood. I wouldn't be surprised if Training Day had something to do with putting the spotlight on BPS. It seems like the LAPD (and the feds) decided to make BPS Jungles a high priority to target. LAPD even held an open press conference at Jim Gilliam Park a few years back to declare victory, basically to mock BPS like "Yeah we run this hood now."

Yeah the Jungles did have a reputation... Kids would tell me about hearing gunshots and bragged about it like it made them hard. Most of the kids at that park lived in the Jungles, or nearby areas. I was more of an outsider from Slauson & Crenshaw.

I always thought the Jungles would be too difficult to get rid of the gangs just because of the nature of the neighborhood - enclosed, densely packed apartments with dead-end & narrow streets always made it seem like the perfect place for a gang to claim and rep. I am surprised to hear White people living in that area. If White people live in the actual apartments in the Jungles, I'll be more surprised. Of course, that area was all White in the beginning. My dad told he was in the Jungles in 1960 for a house party, and remembers it being almost all White. He said it turned mostly Black by the mid-late 60's, but said it was still nice because it was mostly young Black professionals living there with good jobs. But by the early to mid 1970's is when he said it started getting dangerous, and the Jungles began to have a reputation as being the place to buy drugs or hear about a robbery or shooting.

But as a Crip who lived in the Jungles that's interesting... did you have to keep a low profile or something?

User avatar
bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6045
Joined: June 19th, 2003, 7:01 am
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby bgcasper » February 2nd, 2018, 10:17 pm

that gentrication is only possible because us print his own money this shit bout to stop get ready to reclaim the gentrifried places lol

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 961
Joined: September 1st, 2003, 10:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL
Location: http://allhood.proboards.com/index.cgi
Contact:

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby Young Nile » February 12th, 2018, 4:25 pm

WLA PALMS wrote:
TheAngels wrote:Oh yeah, WLA Palms, I forgot to mention...

I'm guessing since it happened in your hood, you know about the Snoop Dogg murder case in the 90's? But I heard it was a BYSHC who got killed. What was a BYSHC doing in BFGC hood, and shooting it out with a Rollin 20s Crip from Long Beach?



Yeah, the dude who got killed was from BYSHC. The dude from BYSHC had family who lived over there, and he was hangin' out and tryin' to sell his lil drugs over there. I hear Snoop Dogg owned property over there at that time, I'm not sure. I don't know why the dude got into it with Snoop Dogg and his people, but we all know what happened afterwards. This was way before we went to war with the BYSHC's.


Dude was from over there...

He claimed the area...

He was from Venton Ave who from what I hear turned into an extension/sub set of BYSH aka V/A BYSH...

When I met dude he wasn’t claiming BYSH he was claiming VAHC but I guess before he died they turned one in the same....

But as to why he was over there is cuz he claimed to be from that area... Venton & Venice...

WLA PALMS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 581
Joined: April 12th, 2004, 2:21 pm
Location: WEST L.A.

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby WLA PALMS » March 11th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Young Nile wrote:
WLA PALMS wrote:
TheAngels wrote:Oh yeah, WLA Palms, I forgot to mention...

I'm guessing since it happened in your hood, you know about the Snoop Dogg murder case in the 90's? But I heard it was a BYSHC who got killed. What was a BYSHC doing in BFGC hood, and shooting it out with a Rollin 20s Crip from Long Beach?



Yeah, the dude who got killed was from BYSHC. The dude from BYSHC had family who lived over there, and he was hangin' out and tryin' to sell his lil drugs over there. I hear Snoop Dogg owned property over there at that time, I'm not sure. I don't know why the dude got into it with Snoop Dogg and his people, but we all know what happened afterwards. This was way before we went to war with the BYSHC's.


Dude was from over there...

He claimed the area...

He was from Venton Ave who from what I hear turned into an extension/sub set of BYSH aka V/A BYSH...

When I met dude he wasn’t claiming BYSH he was claiming VAHC but I guess before he died they turned one in the same....

But as to why he was over there is cuz he claimed to be from that area... Venton & Venice...



Yeah, dude was from over there, or at least claiming the block, but he and his homies didn't have a real solid foundation in the Palms. The Venton Ave Hustlas were like an "extention" of the BYSHC's, but after he got killed, them dudes went back to the Crescent Heights area, which is their original turf. I was hearing that dude also had family from Venice Sho-line but they were having problems, fighting over the drug sales on that street, besides the traditional West L.A. beef. Well, R.I.P. to dude, what was his name?, Philly Mac?

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 961
Joined: September 1st, 2003, 10:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL
Location: http://allhood.proboards.com/index.cgi
Contact:

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby Young Nile » March 13th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Yeah Philly Mac RIP

User avatar
mr. chill
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 809
Joined: February 2nd, 2004, 1:08 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby mr. chill » March 16th, 2018, 7:53 am

WLA PALMS wrote:
Young Nile wrote:
WLA PALMS wrote:
TheAngels wrote:Oh yeah, WLA Palms, I forgot to mention...

I'm guessing since it happened in your hood, you know about the Snoop Dogg murder case in the 90's? But I heard it was a BYSHC who got killed. What was a BYSHC doing in BFGC hood, and shooting it out with a Rollin 20s Crip from Long Beach?



Yeah, the dude who got killed was from BYSHC. The dude from BYSHC had family who lived over there, and he was hangin' out and tryin' to sell his lil drugs over there. I hear Snoop Dogg owned property over there at that time, I'm not sure. I don't know why the dude got into it with Snoop Dogg and his people, but we all know what happened afterwards. This was way before we went to war with the BYSHC's.


Dude was from over there...

He claimed the area...

He was from Venton Ave who from what I hear turned into an extension/sub set of BYSH aka V/A BYSH...

When I met dude he wasn’t claiming BYSH he was claiming VAHC but I guess before he died they turned one in the same....

But as to why he was over there is cuz he claimed to be from that area... Venton & Venice...



Yeah, dude was from over there, or at least claiming the block, but he and his homies didn't have a real solid foundation in the Palms. The Venton Ave Hustlas were like an "extention" of the BYSHC's, but after he got killed, them dudes went back to the Crescent Heights area, which is their original turf. I was hearing that dude also had family from Venice Sho-line but they were having problems, fighting over the drug sales on that street, besides the traditional West L.A. beef. Well, R.I.P. to dude, what was his name?, Philly Mac?


Does Blastin Fools still have a presence in Palms? I used to live there but now every time I go back over there I rarely see black people anymore. More whites and college students

User avatar
jae
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 323
Joined: December 13th, 2004, 4:51 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles
Location: Southern California

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby jae » April 3rd, 2018, 4:33 am

shaolinmonche wrote:What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?



Short answer: ALL OF THEM. If its not whites, its Mexicans. Black folks is moving out and moving on.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 316
Joined: October 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby TheAngels » July 5th, 2018, 11:11 am

Just drove through Shoreline hood this past weekend and nothing about it seemed hood. Maybe because there was some kind of festival going on but there was a lot of hipsters and people walking their dogs and White chicks hanging out... And I'm talking in the "heart" of their hood like on 6th Ave & Indiana... I did see a buffed 'VSLC' tag off Lincoln and Indiana that I could still see through the paint...

A lot of refurbished homes & apartments, cafes, yoga studios and organic markets in that area.

People always say "Shoreline and V13 still be there" but I don't see how they still control that area.

User avatar
advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 379
Joined: May 5th, 2004, 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: What black gang neighborhoods have been effected by gentrification?

Unread postby advocate » July 6th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Shorelines just had their hood day at Oakwood Park....about 3 weeks ago. I know there were a couple candle light vigils recently at Oakwood too for older people who had passed away.

A couple shootings also went down like 3 nights in a row in Oakwood too....that happened a month ago. They were more active on the walls recently too this past month. Bunch of hit ups. Even on the other side of Penmar Park.

But it seems like each & every block has a home fenced off as they get ready to remodel....bunch of new developments in their area. And there are a bunch of white people walking all around that area now. Rose Ave & Abbott Kinney are very hipster-ish.

The VSLC/V13 are still around but its no where near as crazy as back in the day.


Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Black gangs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests