Who's Not Hot?

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music. Also included here are news worthy articles as it relates to music, musicians and the industry.
Anonymous20

Re: Who's Not Hot?

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 17th, 2004, 6:39 pm

Hmmm, I hear what both of y'all are leakin still.
But shit, I cant listen to that chigny shit, or J kwon, those cats are fuckin Wack
I dont even listen to that gangsta shit too tuff
No doubt im a hip hop head, one of the few remaining
I love listening to my mp3 player, full with tracks from

Canibus, Ras kass, Ali vegas, Nas, Az, Cormega, Eminem,Jedi Mind tricks,jean grae, Gza and etc

Rap aint dying, its jus that its polluted and shit
instead of one thinkin this artist/song is good, The media is tellin them that it is good. I see it so much
when im on the bus, or at school, people dem got some wack shit up in they decks. But hey, Im not one to place my belifs and musical taste on others, but SHIT
TURN OFF THAT MTV SHIT, AND LISTEN TO THE WORDS

I really hope an lyrically strong artist, can break through, and start going at these wack fucks, and Mix up the game
but whats the chance of that......

E`S`T
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by E`S`T » March 17th, 2004, 7:51 pm

PERSONALLY, I think eminem is booty..
puff is hella "commercial"
snoop though by far has disapointed me, selling A.O.L, staring in booty a__ movies (starsky and hutch)..W.T.F...that dude is a straight "white man's brother"..LOL>....he sold his butt to corporate america for some change. Personally, I believe in QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY....peace

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » March 17th, 2004, 8:45 pm

kronic wrote:Hmmm, I hear what both of y'all are leakin still.
But stuff, I cant listen to that chigny stuff, or J kwon, those cats are fuckin Wack
I dont even listen to that gangsta stuff too tuff
No doubt im a hip hop head, one of the few remaining
I love listening to my mp3 player, full with tracks from

Canibus, Ras kass, Ali vegas, Nas, Az, Cormega, Eminem,Jedi Mind tricks,jean grae, Gza and etc

Rap aint dying, its jus that its polluted and stuff
instead of one thinkin this artist/song is good, The media is tellin them that it is good. I see it so much
when im on the bus, or at school, people dem got some wack stuff up in they decks. But hey, Im not one to place my belifs and musical taste on others, but stuff
TURN OFF THAT MTV stuff, AND LISTEN TO THE WORDS

I really hope an lyrically strong artist, can break through, and start going at these wack fucks, and Mix up the game
but whats the chance of that......
how ironic...you say you wanna support Hip Hop and hope a lyrically strong artist can break through, but you got an mp3 player...

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 18th, 2004, 8:52 am

lol
ok u partly got me on that
Some of the tracks i Have are from Cd's I purchased
Like the Nas' and Az's and the others
But shit nigga, I aint fully ballin out right now, but best belive if i had the funds, i'd be supporting those cats. Plus some of those underground cats are hard to find,
knowatImeing...

Fre$h
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Fre$h » March 19th, 2004, 12:54 am

http://www.sandboxautomatic.com

You can find damn near any underground hiphop artist that you could think of, right there. For anyone that hasn't heard it yet, & if you like jazz at all, you should really check out "High Water Mark" by El-P. That album is ridiculous, & of course, I mean that in a good way. MF Doom, & Madlib have a disc commin out together. There's a gang of new shit out there, if that's the type of music you're in to.

You know, I just realized that I posted this under "Who's Not Hot," I wasn't paying attention. The artists I mentioned are damn good though, I didn't mean to put them out there like that. So, don't get me wrong. Also, check out Atmosphere's "Seven's Travels" album, it's lovely.

THALOCPASADENA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by THALOCPASADENA » March 22nd, 2004, 9:30 am

PAC WAS A BUSTER NOT TO SAY HIS LYRIC'S WERENT TIGHT BUT HE WENT OUT LIKT A BUSTER. IF HE WAS NOT TUPAC THEN YOU WOULD OF NEVER HEARD HIS NAME IN THE STREET'S AND ALL THAT SHIT.... I AM NOT SAYING HE IS A BUSTER BUT SOME OF THE MOVE'S HE DID WAS DISAPOINTING..... AND I AM LIKE DAM PAC YOU TO SMART TO BE DOING DUMD SHIT.....MAN

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » March 22nd, 2004, 12:12 pm

THALOCPASADENA wrote:PAC WAS A BUSTER NOT TO SAY HIS LYRIC'S WERENT TIGHT BUT HE WENT OUT LIKT A BUSTER. IF HE WAS NOT TUPAC THEN YOU WOULD OF NEVER HEARD HIS NAME IN THE STREET'S AND ALL THAT stuff.... I AM NOT SAYING HE IS A BUSTER BUT SOME OF THE MOVE'S HE DID WAS DISAPOINTING..... AND I AM LIKE DAM PAC YOU TO SMART TO BE DOING DUMD stuff.....MAN
You contradicting your own self just called pac a busta then said you not callin him a busta.

swordswinging

Unread post by swordswinging » April 6th, 2004, 11:10 pm

Seriously. 99% of the fools I see on TV I think are wack! 50 Cent, Chingy, Nelly, Ja Fool, Gay Z.... the list just goes on and on. Don't even start with the "Don't hate" $h!t, that line went tired and worn out back when Mase was saying it in every damn song. 10-15 hours a day of the SAME videos, about the SAME shit. Non-stop beach parties, with these fools spreading their illiteracy around. That got played out since the Puff Daddy and Mase days.

It's not really the subject matter that I'm against, Hip Hop has always been dealing with these issues, drugs, guns, gangs etc....It's the repetitiveness and lack of skill that's fucked up.

Maybe I'm oldschool, but didn't rapping also consist of cleverly using punch lines, metaphors, and similes? Sounds easy? Well it's apparently very hard to do, when you're a vocabulary-challenged corporate slave like 50 Cent, Nelly, and Chingy. Yet their videos are all over the damn TV, with a couple hundred other frauds all day long. It's horrendous that peoople so untalented can get so much airtime. I understand there are definitely people that like this $h!t, but damn, where's the variety? This kind of fucked up $h!t Pop is the dominant factor in urban music. Almost all of this crap sounds the same!! These guys put out an album that consists of 18 tracks of braggadocio "I'm-SO-gangstuh-and-nobody-can-kill-me" bull$h!t laced with fucked up slang that just epitomizes stupidity..Thurr??? Shizzel-my-nizzel??! Heezy-fo-Sheezy?? Pathetic.

I stopped caring about stuff on MTV and BET around 1998. BET, has to be the biggest joke. They claim to be supporting black culture, while flooding the airwaves with the same stereotypical bullsh!t that's been plaguing black culture like a disease for how many years now????! Isn't it owned by Viacom now? Should call it Black Exploitation Television.

troy b
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by troy b » April 10th, 2004, 10:23 pm

im really gettin tired of all that atlanta "get crunk, thro dem bowz" shit, and that "rite thurr and errbody durrtty" st louis shit, sorri if u from those places, i aint hatin just i aint feelin they music

lewis503
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by lewis503 » April 10th, 2004, 11:54 pm

troy b wrote:im really gettin tired of all that atlanta "get crunk, thro dem bowz" stuff, and that "rite thurr and errbody durrtty" st louis stuff, sorri if u from those places, i aint hatin just i aint feelin they music

Took the wordz rite out of my mouth.

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » April 12th, 2004, 8:15 am

50 CENT- HOT ONE OF THE BEST OUT THERE REALLY HOOD
JA RULE- WEAK AND WANKSTA
JAY-Z- ONE OF THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME AND HE IS REALLY HOOD A FORMER HUSTLER HE KNOWS SOME OF MY FAMILY AND THEY KNOW HIM
BOO YAA TRIBE- NO DISRESPECT THEIR OK THEY NEED TO STICK TO BANGING WHICH I HEARD THEY DO BEST
GANGSTA DRE- WEAK
BG KNOCC OUT- HE IS NICE
OUTKAST- ONE OF THE GREATEST
NOTORIOUS BIG- THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME HE WAS A REAL G
TUPAC- HE WAS OK RIP
EAZY E- ONE OF MY FAVORITES ONE OF THE GREATEST RIP CIP
MC EIHT- ONE OF MY FAVORITES
SNOOP DOGG- VERY GOOD BUT FELL OFF A LITTLE
DR. DRE- GREAT MUSIC MAKER NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS I LIKE HIM
LLOYD BANKS- I MET HIM YEARS AGO HE IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE GREATS HIS FLOW IS CRAZY AND HIS LYRICS ARE SMOOTH BUT GANGSTA
SCARFACE- OG I LIKE HIM
JUELZ SANTTANN- THE WORST
JIM JONES- THE WORST
CAMRON- HE IS NICE BUT HE FELL OFF TO MUCH OF A PRETTY BOY
FREEWAY- HE IS NICE
PEEDI CRAKK- HE GETS BUZY

ETGC 4 LIFE 3X

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 12th, 2004, 6:30 pm

BG MLOCO wrote:50 CENT- HOT ONE OF THE BEST OUT THERE REALLY HOOD
JA RULE- WEAK AND WANKSTA
JAY-Z- ONE OF THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME AND HE IS REALLY HOOD A FORMER HUSTLER HE KNOWS SOME OF MY FAMILY AND THEY KNOW HIM
BOO YAA TRIBE- NO DISRESPECT THEIR OK THEY NEED TO STICK TO BANGING WHICH I HEARD THEY DO BEST
GANGSTA DRE- WEAK
BG KNOCC OUT- HE IS NICE
OUTKAST- ONE OF THE GREATEST
NOTORIOUS BIG- THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME HE WAS A REAL G
TUPAC- HE WAS OK RIP
EAZY E- ONE OF MY FAVORITES ONE OF THE GREATEST RIP CIP
MC EIHT- ONE OF MY FAVORITES
SNOOP DOGG- VERY GOOD BUT FELL OFF A LITTLE
DR. DRE- GREAT MUSIC MAKER NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS I LIKE HIM
LLOYD BANKS- I MET HIM YEARS AGO HE IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE GREATS HIS FLOW IS CRAZY AND HIS LYRICS ARE SMOOTH BUT GANGSTA
SCARFACE- OG I LIKE HIM
JUELZ SANTTANN- THE WORST
JIM JONES- THE WORST
CAMRON- HE IS NICE BUT HE FELL OFF TO MUCH OF A PRETTY BOY
FREEWAY- HE IS NICE
PEEDI CRAKK- HE GETS BUZY

ETGC 4 LIFE 3X
Yo I agree with you on most of your list but when it comes to 50 not get got nice beats but my man dont spit hot lyrics to me he not big on word play. Sh@t Em will still eat 50 up on a flow. Where Em at on your list.

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 12th, 2004, 6:47 pm

My list of not hot no matter what the media or charts say:

Chingy
East side boyz
Nelly and his boyz
Ja-rule
DMX
Memphis Bleek
Petey Pablo (dont care if he from NC)
all the NBA players who think they can rap
master p
cash money (all of them)
ice cube
mack ten
some more i cant think of right now.

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 14th, 2004, 9:24 pm

C-rum wrote:Let me correct myself as for the R.O.C. I do like FreeWay and Beanie Seagul

Yo the best ones even though I like Jay-Z word play but Beanie segul just as good as jay if not better. I think freeway spit some nasty sh@t but his voice gets a bit ignoring a bit. He have the same tone and flow on every song.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 14th, 2004, 9:34 pm

freeway don't even rhyme half the damn time. He sounds like Wu Tang clan how it's like they just talkin and forget they supposed to be making a damn song. Beenie tight though. That mf'er spits some real shi-. Don't know why he never responded Jayo though. I guess maybe he is the bitch Jayo said he was.

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » April 14th, 2004, 9:46 pm

Panik wrote:freeway don't even rhyme half the damn time. He sounds like Wu Tang clan how it's like they just talkin and forget they supposed to be making a damn song. Beenie tight though. That mf'er spits some real shi-. Don't know why he never responded Jayo though. I guess maybe he is the female Jayo said he was.

Lmao thats what it is. He gets off beat sometimes too. He does not mold his voice with the beat change his pitch up or nothing. He jump on a beat quick yelling and talking. Lmao!

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » April 17th, 2004, 12:01 pm

ok, i dont believe this shit. damn
http://www.thegayrapper.com/biopage.html

Fre$h
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Fre$h » April 17th, 2004, 7:15 pm

swordswinging wrote:Seriously. 99% of the fools I see on TV I think are wack! 50 Cent, Chingy, Nelly, Ja Fool, Gay Z.... the list just goes on and on. Don't even start with the "Don't hate" $h!t, that line went tired and worn out back when Mase was saying it in every damn song. 10-15 hours a day of the SAME videos, about the SAME stuff. Non-stop beach parties, with these fools spreading their illiteracy around. That got played out since the Puff Daddy and Mase days.

It's not really the subject matter that I'm against, Hip Hop has always been dealing with these issues, drugs, guns, gangs etc....It's the repetitiveness and lack of skill that's "oops I used profanity and I might get banned" up.

Maybe I'm oldschool, but didn't rapping also consist of cleverly using punch lines, metaphors, and similes? Sounds easy? Well it's apparently very hard to do, when you're a vocabulary-challenged corporate slave like 50 Cent, Nelly, and Chingy. Yet their videos are all over the damn TV, with a couple hundred other frauds all day long. It's horrendous that peoople so untalented can get so much airtime. I understand there are definitely people that like this $h!t, but damn, where's the variety? This kind of "oops I used profanity and I might get banned" up $h!t Pop is the dominant factor in urban music. Almost all of this crap sounds the same!! These guys put out an album that consists of 18 tracks of braggadocio "I'm-SO-gangstuh-and-nobody-can-kill-me" bull$h!t laced with "oops I used profanity and I might get banned" up slang that just epitomizes stupidity..Thurr??? Shizzel-my-nizzel??! Heezy-fo-Sheezy?? Pathetic.

I stopped caring about stuff on MTV and BET around 1998. BET, has to be the biggest joke. They claim to be supporting black culture, while flooding the airwaves with the same stereotypical bullsh!t that's been plaguing black culture like a disease for how many years now????! Isn't it owned by Viacom now? Should call it Black Exploitation Television.

I agree 100%. When you think about it though, it's exactly the same thing that happened to "heavy metal" in the late 80's. All of a sudden these cats were dressin like women, & wearin make-up. It started with Black Sabbath, & turned into Poison; all because of corporate agenda. The corporations are going to bleed hiphop culture until they think they can't make enough money on it anymore, then they'll drop it. It's ok though, there's still a ton of top shelf independent hiphop music being made out there. I don't support very many mainstream artists anyway(Outkast would be the exception). You just have to be willing to turn off your radio/t.v., & look for it. You know?

zzzz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by zzzz » April 19th, 2004, 3:10 am

Fre$h wrote: I agree 100%. When you think about it though, it's exactly the same thing that happened to "heavy metal" in the late 80's. All of a sudden these cats were dressin like women, & wearin make-up. It started with Black Sabbath, & turned into Poison; all because of corporate agenda. The corporations are going to bleed hiphop culture until they think they can't make enough money on it anymore, then they'll drop it. It's ok though, there's still a ton of top shelf independent hiphop music being made out there. I don't support very many mainstream artists anyway(Outkast would be the exception). You just have to be willing to turn off your radio/t.v., & look for it. You know?
It's good to see someone agrees with me. People like you are few and far between. Everyday I keep hearing "awww man, fitty is the greatest ever!", "that song right thurr is the shizzle-my-nizzle", "big tymers are off the heezy-fosheezy!", "don't hate, don't hate, you know nelly is numba 1 and we're getting married next year". Makes me wanna puke, and I'm pretty much even more disgusted in mainstream $h!t Pop after that.

Raz

Unread post by Raz » May 8th, 2004, 6:19 am

did yall hear about 50 gettin his ass beat in '99? i heard some dudes that had beef with him ran up on him at a stoplight, pulled him out of his car, and mashed on him. i even saw a short segment on mtv about it like middle of last year...

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » May 8th, 2004, 1:46 pm

How can someone say Eazy e was one of the best when he didn't even write his own lyrics???? Maybe he was a good vocalist, but as a Rapper I can't say he's that great. And this person also had the nerve to say 2pac was "ok rip".

At least 2pac wrote his own lyrics, at least he was able to produce songs, not just verses or freestyles.

Now the stuff that Suge and Pac's mom are making into albums today is a disgrace to Tupac most of the time. A few years ago it was understandable cuz

R u Still down,
2pac's Greatest hits
Makaveli
even Until the end of time

these albums sounded more like the vision 2pac had in his music and his lyrics.

Now Suge is attempting to modernize 2pac's lyrics to some "down south/crunk" or some damn New York like commercial rap beats. just look at that horrible "Nu mixxx" compilation. that was a disgrace man.

Its like taking Bob Marley lyrics from his original music and trying to fit them into some Euro Techno/house beats just to attract the younger masses.

Please, if Suge really wants the newer generations to feel Pac, Suge needs to allow Pac's music the integrity it deserves starting off by allowing Pac's flow/verses/delivery/topics to smoothly blend with the music Mr.Shakur originally envisioned and felt instead of some half assed attempt to make 2pac sound like today's 50 or Jay z.

I personally think Suge just wants more cash off of 2pac materials.

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » May 9th, 2004, 12:08 am

In my opinion these are the not so hot right now-
Nelly
freeway
memphis bleek
DMX
juelz santana
snoop dog
neptunes or clones, whatever!
juvy, bg, lil wayne, baby
master p
common
kanye west latest song, first one was good tho

Unread post by Guest » May 9th, 2004, 3:25 am

2pac wuz a studio gangsta u dumb monkey get off his nutts, rip eazy the godfather of gangsta rap

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » May 9th, 2004, 5:28 pm

George wrote: How can someone say Eazy e was one of the best when he didn't even write his own lyrics????

Lmao! Tell me this is not so? I don't respect nobody who spit sh@t a ghost writer provided for them. If this is so then how can you respect him and say he was gangsta but he was fake on the mic.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » May 9th, 2004, 9:51 pm

Actually I'm not on anyones nuts but my own, my brother in laws, and of course Prince's purple nuts.......... uhhhhhhhhhhh..... you figure if this is fiction or not.

And as far as 2pac being fake??? Naw homie, he was an actor and applied that to his everyday life. He was a gifted actor too, he put himself into character, and that character was the "Struggling young Black male in America" searching for his place and trying to sort things out and try to find some sense.

He wasn't trying to be a gangster, a badman, or anything. He simply went to the fullest extent and put himself in situations that a Black man in the worst ghetto's would go to. Thats why people relate to him so much. He was real in the sense he was able to take all that mess the world would give him once he put himself out there as "Amerikkka's new public enemy". And what was so good was Pac was able to put all that pain, turmoil, and dispair into a M-I-C, let it flow into a track, and let that track become a "Song". Beautiful. He wanted to be the very reflection that a young Black male lacked when he turned on that t.v, or movie screen, and most important that headphone.

yeah Pac might not been the "hardest", so what????? What does being the worst killer or dope dealer or pimp have to do with rocking a mic??? What about the skill? The heart??? The emotion? The lyrics??? the music???? Doesn't that count???

I don't care what you say but, just cuz a rapper is hard and "from the streets" doesn't actually mean he would be a great artist that can connect with me individually.

I look for signs of intelligence and originality/creativity when it comes to a musician, whether that be a singer/guitarist/Rap Artist/D.j/etc etc.

Oh by the way, insulting me doesn't really do anything but make you foolish purple monkey man. I don't even take offense to it, i just look at it like you are too stuck up in your views. And how can you talk for someone you never knew??? I'm sure you didn't take 5 bullets like him in a recording studio. You probably just sit behind your computer, go to school, dress like your running things, bump the latest "hardcore hip POP" albums, and try talk ebonics infront of the wannabe White chicks looking for thug penises.

Please Purple monkey, i have no time for you cuz you really are annoying to read. Later ;)

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » May 10th, 2004, 6:25 pm

And did you know Prince could fight??? A few years back he was gonna scrap it out with an ex guitarist cuz Prince felt the female attention was going all towards the guitar player instead of himself. Of course security guards broke up the scuffle, and later Prince fired the guitarist. LOL Prince could be so cold hearted some days. ;(

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » May 11th, 2004, 12:32 am

Music industry is playin' y'all. If y'all got gripe about the music comin' out, then don't blame them. Blame yourselves and your peers. Music industry only pushes out what it can sell and make money off, of. And who's buyin' this "crap"? Your neighbor, your friend, your peers. The music business is a game for hustlers man. 50 hustled the hell outta the country and now he the biggest thing in rap. Jay Z hustled everyone for years. Dr. Dre still hustlin' everyone. People think he the greatest producer to come out of Hip Hop. If y'all only knew...more than half of the beats credited to him, he ain't even make. Dre gots a good hear to know what's hot and not hot, but as far as talent in makin' beats...he isn't as high as people put him.

What's not hot in Hip Hop these days is everyone complainin' about it's wackness, but nobody doin' anythin' about it. What's hot is those that actually talk the talk and walk the walk...ie: Kanye West. He keeps it straight real. No sugar-coatin' shit.

like i said before...Hip Hop ain't wack these days. It's just that the audience ain't got no more taste or ear. They see the music, before they even hear it.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » May 11th, 2004, 4:02 pm

^^ Yup. Take it back to the underground and rerun the whole game fresh with new players and new sounds. No more of the same old same old PLEASE!

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » May 11th, 2004, 4:30 pm

I agree with Kicker, that is what I been saying all along, all the bullsh@t music has a lot to do with young teenagers, white kids, and women. So instead of knocking sh@t just listen to the muisc you like. I don't listen to the main stream rappers like I use to. There are still some, but I been looking into the under ground stuff lately. You find the one's with there own labels doing they own thing are more real then these main steam rappers. And they don't try and suga coat stuff to make more money they keep it real.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » May 11th, 2004, 4:42 pm

I listen to dj quik a lot these days. that guys real with his shit. i mean hes real with himself and real with what he spits n no need to change himself for anything. haha one of my fav tracks of his is youz a gangsta. comon man, how many rappers make such a tight track on a subject like this explainin that hes not really a gangsta but still down all while keepin it positive? that guys a real artist, my fav id say, no shame and he keeps the p in it too all while exploring new styles at the same time. as for those mainstream rappers damn...its been a looong time i havent checked out those music television channels....real long time oh n kicker, youre right on point on all you said too, i completely agree nobody's takin the time to really hear the music, they see it before they hear it like u said. and also about dre, i read somewhere he even stole the g-funk style from above the law and fact is, anyday ill prefer big hutch aka cold 187's beats over his. not that im hating, but that guy's got more talent than dre, my point of view when it comes to bangin beats

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » May 11th, 2004, 5:40 pm

In the rap game its really about power, just like Em took credit for the beat on Jay-z ablum renergade. Just like Dre. does, when you have power you can fix things up and get credit for it yourself, when you have your own label it comes through your hands last. So its a lot of stealing going on sad to say.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » May 11th, 2004, 6:46 pm

How can you do ANYTHING when its so hard to even get your material to be heard out there??? Especially since Record Labels are not just handing out contracts now. They want to see that you have enough talent to make it on your own first (like too short in the days) independently.

Not that its any easier trying to start and MAINTAIN your own label, distribute your own albums/materials, make sure you get enough performances/show opportunities, and somehow reach a target market and gain a certain fan following.

Now, if record labels are more interested in individual creativity and originality, it would be a lot easier for musicians/artist/Rappers to get that much needed exposure and media attention. But the reality is record labels/producers are only attempting to cash in on the next cliche artist. They want to sign/hire someone that has the capability to make them business. Therefore, they are basically right now looking for the next catchy artist like Nelly, Jay z, or 50. Or they are constantly seeking that artist that can catch on with a target audience that doesn't have someone to relate too (Dr Dre saw something in Eminem that could make the suburban White teens relate with, trust me the industry's been trying for years to get a White rapper for the masses= Beastie boyz, Vanilla Ice, Marky Mark, Fun Loving Criminals, and a few others).

Theres so much originality, uniqueness, and talent out there thats being ignored due to the Music industry's blatant disregard for what the people REALLY want and need.
For example, Jin and the Mountain Brothers. Jin is steady improving his song making abilities. I've heard some of his tracks and they are pretty good, in a few years if he keeps this up he might be among the greats.
The MOUNTain Brothers are one of Phillie's most original and talented rappers to come from the Brotherly Love ever since the Roots. ANd they got a whole Oriental twist on things. Its really beautiful.

But of course they were slept on cuz the INDUSTRY doesn't somehow think there's a target audience's need for Asian acts. So most likely even Jin would have to forever be in Underground stats for most of his career.

The only time you see the industry dig someone who's different and unique is if they see that artist making moves/money/and gaining fans on their own. For instance NWA, 2 $hort, E40 all basically in the beginning had to represent California without any national air play, tv exposure, or hype. Short Dawg had to somehow sell 50,000 or so copies of his own Tapes in the back of his trunk in and around Oakland b4 any industry people even took a glance at him. Once they found out he was marketable they jumped the band wagon on his stuff and probably other artist like him. Same with NWA, no one in the powerful East Coast music industry gave them attention until all that controversy began.

Thats how the Music industry is, S-H-A-D-Y and arrogant, and of course ignorant towards talent.

Hey, theres always the Internet but...... Would someone really figure you out on the mysterious web??? Who knows, Mountain Brothers applied this technique some time or another.....???

Return to “Music and News”