Asian Rapper

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music. Also included here are news worthy articles as it relates to music, musicians and the industry.
Proverbz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Asian Rapper

Unread post by Proverbz » October 5th, 2009, 9:22 pm

In your opinions, do you think there will ever be a great asian rapper in america? Like how the puerto ricans had big pun, the mexicans had cypress hill, and the whites had eminem but what about the asians? how come we don't have a rapper that represents us and makes it big on a mainstream level? i remember jin was doing it on 106 and park but nobody bought his album and it flopped big time. what does it take for an asian to make it? is america ready to see an asian all in their faces on mtv?

thonkoboy2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Harbor Area

Re: Asian Rapper

Unread post by thonkoboy2000 » October 5th, 2009, 11:59 pm

cuz no one in america likes asians or take us seriously, were a joke to most people and were shown as weak people so even if there was a talented asian rapper a black dude would say wtf is this chinese guy doing

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 6th, 2009, 12:42 am

There are a number of really good Asian MC's. They're all underground where the real Hip-Hop is.

562booney
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 562booney » October 6th, 2009, 10:39 am

i think asian ppl are not meant to be in the rap game, leave it to the black ppl becuz thats what they are good at...i mean im not saying asian ppl can't rap ive seen some that is aight lolz....look on the other hand, look at (FM )Far Eastmovment, them asian group do great songs what are known for clubbin lolz.

TCC19
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Victorville CA

Unread post by TCC19 » October 6th, 2009, 12:19 pm

I think it's more than possible for a Asian rapper to make it big I thought Jin was going to be that dude but I guess he did'nt want it bad enough There are more than enough Asian underground dudes that have serious talent people just got to stop sleepin I guess. I'm black and I'll listen to anything if it sounds good to me I could give a F#ck what they look like.These dudes are pretty decent to me That Guy Mondega is dope.

FINITO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: TOrrance

Unread post by FINITO » October 6th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Mainstream, NO. I dont care how good they are cuz to them, we are just some slanted eyed gooks looking silly. Even when that foo JIN was battling it out with them niggas, i mean he was considered as pretty good amongs us asians but he was pretty much a laughing stock to them niggas and i dont blame them. Asians dressing hip hop and rapping looks silly as hell to me. It looks fake as fuck and it doesnt look natural. NIggas got that groove in them and it's something that cannot be taught. They have it and we dont and that's all there is to it. ASians weren't built to rap but we are good at many other shit and rapping isn't one of them. There are alot of top singers in korea coming to america and releasing albums. Like Seven and B for example. They may be the shit in Korea but over here, they be getting fuckin clowned on and rightfully so. Seven has this song with Lil Kim and it sounds stupid as fuck, niggas be clowning on that shit and it makes me laugh too. Leave the rapping shit to them africans.

Proverbz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Proverbz » October 6th, 2009, 8:26 pm

its a damn shame cause a lot of asians go through major struggles in america and we got something to say. hopefully, one day america can give an asian a real shot. that asian better be 10 times more talented than the rest because like everyone here said, no one will respect him due to the fact he's a gook. oh yeah and FM had to change their name cuz far east movement sounded too asian lol. whatever, they're making money now.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 7th, 2009, 12:00 am

This is a funny topic. So hey.. Asians shouldn't go snowboarding, shouldn't listen to KROQ, and shouldn't drive trucks cause thats for white ppl.. LOL! When Asians do that they jus end up looking funny. LOL at this thread. Oh, and don't eat hamburgers cause thats for white ppl too.. LOL!

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 7th, 2009, 6:52 am

I think that dude Bambu is aight, sounds a little awkward but overall cool - Filipino

Dumbfoundead paid a lot of dues at Project Blow'd in Leimert Park, only other Asian rapper to pass through there was in the 90's, dude named Slant from Kali 9 - Korean

Slant - Korean

Lyrics Born back in the 90's etc.

Overall no, there's not too many Asian rappers in the game.

Last weekend I was at a show in the Bronx, at a spot called Rebel Diaz Arts Collective, and saw this tallish Korean dude Master Chi. He was kinda nice but you won't find none of his stuff online. Pretty much all the audience and rappers were Latin and Black, one other white rapper, that's it.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 7th, 2009, 9:08 am

Here's a list of some Asian MC's and groups: Key Kool (Visonaries), Dannu (Visonaries), Slant (Project Blowed), Dumbfoundead, Ching02, Arata (Living Legends), Chikaramanga (Giant Panda), Mountain Brothers, Organic Thoughts, Chan, Cool Calm Pete (Babbletron), Longevity Crew (now called Captions), Kero One, Native Gunz, Geologic (Blue Scholars), JFK (Oldominion), Denizen Kane (Typical Cats), The Pacifics, Yoshi Blessed, and a whole bunch more! All these MC's and groups have skills. I recommend checking them out before you pass judgment.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 7th, 2009, 10:14 am

I forgot to mention Lyrics Born (Latyrx) from northern Cali. He was one of the first Asian MC's to really put it down. Check out El Gambina who used to be from Organic Thoughts. A female Korean MC out of New Jersey. Not to mention all the Asian Bboys, Bgirls, DJ's, graff artists, and producers that are part of the Hip-Hop culture. Turn off the mainstream!

SB Tisoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SB Tisoy » October 7th, 2009, 10:27 am

To me the only asian rapper who made it semi-big was Jin. There's that Black Eyed Peas fool Apl but he's part of a group and mixed. Smilez and Southstar were a 1 hit wonder in the early 2000s. DJ Glaze was representing in the mid '90s with the Long Beach g-funk group Foesum. The many others have their following but were/are mainly underground. Recently Roscoe Umali was gettin airplay on Power and some spins in the clubs but that's it. Nowadays Far East Movement is making headway with their club oriented jams, but seems like they had to abbreviate their name to do so. Asian rappers get little to no respect. They gotta be mixed or in a group to get major.

Proverbz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Proverbz » October 7th, 2009, 1:04 pm

smilez and southstar lol they sucked hardcore. dj glaze from lbc was pretty nice. that track let em understand perfection with early snoop (before he got signed) is pure hip hop. i think asians need to stop mimicking blacks so much and come up with a unique flavor that's all our own. when i saw jin dressed in orange sweats and hoodie with a oversized cap looking straight BUFU'd out, i already didn't think he was a good representation for us. a great asian emcee somehow has to have a message that relates to all people. that or cause a lot of controversy. since these days people don't care about message in hip hop, i guess an asian has to stir up the pot in mainstream rap to get some shine.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 7th, 2009, 2:28 pm

A couple more names came to me. There's an Asian MC in the group Ill Again. They have a good vid on youtube! There's a guy named Mint Rock (Bored Stiff) from the bay area. Does anyone remember Fresh Kid Ice? He's the half Chinese guy from 2 Live Crew. Back in the days 2 Live Crew was pretty big. In a way that guy helped put Asian MC's on the map. Alright I'm done! Jus had to get that out there.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 9th, 2009, 9:00 am

I said I was done before. But I can't help it. So here's more. A group called Novelists and another group called The CounterParts have Asian MC's. If you want to hear good Hip-Hop music then I recommend checking out the groups and names I mentioned. Jus trying to spread the word! There's good music out there and Asians are behind some of it. What you heard is all fallacy. Asians can groove, have soul and can get down with the best of them!

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 9th, 2009, 12:33 pm

TCC19 wrote:I think it's more than possible for a Asian rapper to make it big I thought Jin was going to be that dude but I guess he did'nt want it bad enough

haha, I just got back from visiting my homegirl out in Hong Kong a few weeks back, seen that fool Jin's face plastered all over bus stops, doing cheesy ass raps for some box drink soy milk shit in Cantonese. She said he moved there under some "quality migrant scheme"(basically the govt gives residency to any famous people and scholars) and he's been poster boy for stupid products ever since.

Lol jin.

TCC19
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by TCC19 » October 10th, 2009, 8:30 am

buLLetxx2 wrote:
TCC19 wrote:I think it's more than possible for a Asian rapper to make it big I thought Jin was going to be that dude but I guess he did'nt want it bad enough

haha, I just got back from visiting my homegirl out in Hong Kong a few weeks back, seen that fool Jin's face plastered all over bus stops, doing cheesy ass raps for some box drink soy milk shit in Cantonese. She said he moved there under some "quality migrant scheme"(basically the govt gives residency to any famous people and scholars) and he's been poster boy for stupid products ever since.

Lol jin.

At first when I read this I was about to LMAO but after thinking about it I wish I could rap for some soymilk Lol this recession is a b*tch Can you imagine if all those battle rap guys found that ish out they would kill him in a battle LOL .

Dammmmn are you serious when I first read this I was LMAO but after I thought about it I wish I could rap for some soymilk LOL this recession is a b*tch.I hope he doesn't try to comeback to battle rappin with that info can you imagine if one of those freestyle dudes found that out it would be too funny LOL.

TCC19
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by TCC19 » October 10th, 2009, 8:33 am

Damn WTF happened to my post LOL

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 10th, 2009, 9:27 am

triplethreat wrote:Here's a list of some Asian MC's and groups: Key Kool (Visonaries), Dannu (Visonaries), Slant (Project Blowed), Dumbfoundead, Ching02, Arata (Living Legends), Chikaramanga (Giant Panda), Mountain Brothers, Organic Thoughts, Chan, Cool Calm Pete (Babbletron), Longevity Crew (now called Captions), Kero One, Native Gunz, Geologic (Blue Scholars), JFK (Oldominion), Denizen Kane (Typical Cats), The Pacifics, Yoshi Blessed, and a whole bunch more! All these MC's and groups have skills. I recommend checking them out before you pass judgment.

Good to see someone knowing a lil something something about something not on the radio, so to add to the list (since you touched on Typical Cats), Qwel(typical cats/g4) is another asian rapper to peep out, someone already touched on Lyrics Born too who, in my opinion, has sorta kinda fell off since the 90s but is still doing his thing. Latyrx is a MUST to peep out (it's Lateef and Lyrics Born with DJ Shadow on the beats), check the track Lady Don't Tek No by Latyrx to kinda ease into the style.

But yeah, good to know I aint the only one on here, that "real" hip hop stuff kept me outta trouble in my later years, seeing things from a different angle and all that good stuff.

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 10th, 2009, 9:41 am

TCC19 wrote:
buLLetxx2 wrote:

Lol jin.
Dammmmn are you serious when I first read this I was LMAO but after I thought about it I wish I could rap for some soymilk LOL this recession is a b*tch.I hope he doesn't try to comeback to battle rappin with that info can you imagine if one of those freestyle dudes found that out it would be too funny LOL.

Ha, yep, Fuel for the fire haaha, messed up thing is I honestly don't think he's dropping records out there either, I seriously just think he became a poster boy for random products.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 10th, 2009, 1:15 pm

^That's cool Bullet. Good to see someone else on here knos whats up! The Hip-Hop culture is more than what ppl see or hear on TV and radio. In matter of fact, what ppl see or hear on TV and radio ain't even Hip-Hop. All that junk is force feed to the masses from corporations that don't kno or care about the culture. They do it in the name of monetary gain and suckers buy into it. And sorry fellas but in my opinion MC's like Jin and Far-East Movement are wack, straight up! Jin has maybe like one good song, "Top 5 Dead or Alive". And I'm not really a fan of that one either. Far-East Movement has no decent songs to their name, nothing. Club songs ain't Hip-Hop it's more along the lines of Pop-Rap. There's a healthy alternative to all that mess and I recommend supporting it. Kill the noise, turn off your TV, and I have to say f--k clear channel! Dang sorry, getting worked up.

Proverbz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Proverbz » October 10th, 2009, 9:25 pm

underground is cool and there's lots of talent out there but most everyone started out underground one way or another. dmx, eminem, pac, snoop, biggie, nas, fat joe, etc were underground when they started but eventually touched the masses. how come most underground rappers can't get past that underground level? is it cause they're missing something or is it the record labels fault? my opinion is that if you're truly a great emcee, you will reach the masses. that's with anything really. there's guys playing street ball and there's guys playing in the nba. i think it's possible for an asian to make it big but he has to be really talented. so far asians made it in djing with dj qbert killing it and america loves watching asians dance for them on mtv with jabbawockeez. why is it that an asian can't break out in the rap game? what do you guys think it takes for an asian to sell a million records?

scrub1819
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by scrub1819 » October 11th, 2009, 10:52 am

isnt there an asian guy in Dilated Peoples?

i think the best way for an asian to break out of the underground is if he DOES NOT have some kind of gimmick, like Jin. i mean nothing against Jin but his gimmick was the fact that no one could believe that he kept winning on freestyle fridays or whatever.
can't knock him tho, not all freestyle rappers can compose a good song; and for all we know he probably didnt have much say in how his album was constructed.

VCB
What city do you live in now?: santa clarita

Unread post by VCB » October 11th, 2009, 6:58 pm

man while i ws readin your guys post i ws shock tht u guys didnt mention THAI
the viet rapper up in portland doin preety big with a indie label
u guys should check him out
on youtube u gotta type thai viet g
chek him out hes a gangster rapper

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 12th, 2009, 1:27 am

^I heard of Thai but didn't think he was worth mentioning. Isn't he from some gang called Laos Viet Cambodian (LCV) or something like that? Not sure, name sounds kinda funny to me. There are a few Asian gangster rappers out there. Back in the days there was a group out of Long Beach called Foesum. They had this Asian MC in the group I think he was Filipino. They had some good songs. But I don't really care for any of the Asian gangster rappers. So I dont pay attention to them or kno much about them.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » October 12th, 2009, 3:44 am

Like everyone posted, there are alot of underground Asian MC's and they're good. But don't trip Asians have taken up alot of other spots in HIP HOp that blacks have largely abandoned: turntabalism, B-boying, Graff art. Poor blacks are more into "making it" and the hip hop way to do it is mainstream Rap, but Asians don't have to follow into that and have your culture fucked by some white man like the blacks. Plus, Mexicans never really made it, Cypress Hill is Cuban and black, with a white dude (plus B-real and Sen were in a black gang)...The puerto-ricans are heavy into black culture so it's easy for them to make it...and when there is an Asian who understands black culture and is marketed right, the white audience will love you and that will be the Asian who makes it into the mainstream.

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 13th, 2009, 5:49 am

Dang, jus re-read my post and noticed I spelled some names wrong. Key Kool and Dannu are from Visionaries. A world famous underground group. And Ching02 is actually Shing02, not Ch but Sh. Born in Japan but part of his life was raised in the Bay Area. Had to clear that up.

FINITO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: TOrrance

Unread post by FINITO » October 13th, 2009, 2:37 pm

VCB wrote:man while i ws readin your guys post i ws shock tht u guys didnt mention THAI
the viet rapper up in portland doin preety big with a indie label
u guys should check him out
on youtube u gotta type thai viet g
chek him out hes a gangster rapper
Heard that and he sounds very gay. NOne of that gay shit will fly around here.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 14th, 2009, 9:32 am

Also Key Kool I met one time that fool is pretty tall, and I'm 6'1" myself.

Somebody mentioned Mint Rock from Bored Stiff, but you forgot the major player, Equipto! http://www.myspace.com/equipto415

Also NUMP TRUMP, who did it big with "I Gott Grapes" and "Jump on the scrape"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD_ltIXTaN8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olZgD3F8WLk
I was knockin these two for a MINUTE

Also somebody mentioned an Asian in Dilated, Rakaa is half Chinese, half Black

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » October 14th, 2009, 1:13 pm

^Dang man, your right about Equipto. Can't believe I missed that one, haha. Thanks for putting that down. He's definitely a legend and a very well respected MC from the Bay. He's been doing it for a long time now! I'm surprised I forgot to mention him. I never heard Rakaa Iriscience was half Chinese before. If so that's a trip man. I thought the comment was talking about DJ Babu since he's Filipino. Always learning something new, thanks for the info!

VCB
What city do you live in now?: santa clarita

Unread post by VCB » October 14th, 2009, 9:24 pm

triplethreat:yea he from LCV gang..i knw when i first heard tht gang i ws lke THE FUCK??? well yeah he preety guud gots alot of talent.

FINTO:u r kiddin right? thai sounds gay?? wow man u must be drinkin or smoken shit or sumthing

Proverbz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Proverbz » October 14th, 2009, 9:28 pm

thai when i first heard about this guy i thought he was .....THAI lol. but turns out hes vietnamese. around my town was pretty tight back in the days. his old style of rapping fast like bone thugs was better in my opinion.

Return to “Music and News”