Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Eld

Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss

Unread post by Eld » July 1st, 2008, 3:29 am

Has anyone picked up a copy?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss

Unread post by thewestside » July 2nd, 2008, 3:31 pm

Eld wrote:Has anyone picked up a copy?
I've talked to a few people who already have it. As was expected, there are some glaring errors that should be obvious to anyone, including to the book's author Philip Carlo himself. For example, Carlo says the attempted hit on Frank Costello happened in 1952. It actually happened in 1957. He also says that Matthew "Matty the Horse" Ianniello is a member of the Colombo family, when as is well known, Ianniello is a longtime member of the Genovese family.

The problem, besides Caro's notorious lack of checking facts, is that Gaspipe Casso himself is a habitual liar. Now, you have to expect some lies and half truths from just about any biography of a mobster, but Casso is beyond the pale. So, while Casso's life story would be fascinating, you really don't know what to believe.

Here is the rundown on some the book's main points from Carlo's own website -
The mob’s decision that John Gotti had to go after whacking Big Paul Castellano without approval—and how Casso got the order to hit Gotti

A fly-on-the-wall view of the Mafia commission sit-down at which John Gotti was made capo di tutti capi . . . the boss of all bosses

The insidious relationship between La Cosa Nostra and the Russian Mafia, and how the Lucchese family murdered the most feared assassin in the Russian mob

Details of secret sit downs with mob bosses Vincent “The Chin” Gigante and John Gotti, and the notorious Sammy “The Bull” Gravano

How Gravano made fools of the US Justice Department and the FBI

The real story of the Mafia Cops and the revelations of other law enforcement personnel on Casso’s payroll

How the Mafia managed to get a tight stranglehold on most unions in America

The truth behind the mafia’s real role in bringing narcotics into the U.S.

How federal prison officials were bought and sold by the Mafia

The intimate details of the women behind the Mafiosi

The truth behind the assassinations of JFK and RFK

Who killed Jimmy Hoffa and where his body is

Why J. Edgar Hoover protected the Mafia Chilling and illuminating, unvarnished and entertaining, Gaspipeis a rollercoaster ride into a world few outsiders have ever dared to enter.

http://www.philipcarlo.com/works/gaspipe/gaspipe.html
A few of the things above stand out as bogus or questionable. There was never a Commission meeting in which John Gotti was made Capo di tutti Capi (Boss of Bosses).

What inside knowledge would Casso have of the John and Robert Kennedy assassinations?

What inside knowledge would Casso have of the Hoffa murder or where his body is?

Eld

Unread post by Eld » July 2nd, 2008, 4:25 pm

I see your point, the Carlo-Casso combination doesn't seem stable, to say the least, if one is interested in reliable information. Those claims about JFK and so forth are of course ridiculous, on the other hand, as you mentioned, Cassos story could in fact be fascinating.
I save my money for now.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » July 3rd, 2008, 11:29 pm

Carlo and his Iceman book was bull! Is there anything even remotetly true init?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 4th, 2008, 7:49 am

paingod wrote:Carlo and his Iceman book was bull! Is there anything even remotetly true init?
Not much.

Someone who also just recently read the Gaspipe book said Carlo claimed Bobby Boriello was a member of the Lucchese family, when he was actually a member of the Gambino family.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » July 4th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Has this Carlo bum written any other mafia related books?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 4th, 2008, 9:57 pm

paingod wrote:Has this Carlo bum written any other mafia related books?
He wrote the notoriously bad book The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer about former hitman Richard Kuklinski. Kuklinksi claimed to be involved in numerous mob hits over the years, including Hoffa and Castellano. The book is 90% BS.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » July 4th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Sorry, for the third time! I meant other than that piece of crap Kuklinski book and the Gaspipe book? Did Kuklinski really even have Mafia connections? He says he was with Demeo and even killed him,but did he really kill anyone for the Mafia?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 5th, 2008, 3:04 am

paingod wrote:Sorry, for the third time! I meant other than that piece of crap Kuklinski book and the Gaspipe book? Did Kuklinski really even have Mafia connections? He says he was with Demeo and even killed him,but did he really kill anyone for the Mafia?
Carlo has written a number of crime-related books but the above two are the only ones I am aware of that are based on organized crime. Kuklinski did know some mafiosi and actually did kill a few people here and there but nothing like what he described in the book.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » July 5th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Did he really kill that cop for Gravano or was that bull too? At the end of the Iceman book Carlo claims Kuklinski was going to confess about that murder and implicate Gravano and someone poisons Kuklinski before he could. Sounds like bull to me!

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 5th, 2008, 7:35 pm

paingod wrote:Did he really kill that cop for Gravano or was that bull too? At the end of the Iceman book Carlo claims Kuklinski was going to confess about that murder and implicate Gravano and someone poisons Kuklinski before he could. Sounds like bull to me!
I'm not sure about the cop. Kuklinski wasn't poisoned, that's for sure.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » July 5th, 2008, 8:05 pm

But the book and Carlo claimed he was. I mean Carlo can't be misinformed:)?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 5th, 2008, 8:57 pm

paingod wrote:But the book and Carlo claimed he was. I mean Carlo can't be misinformed:)?
Carlo claims a lot of things. Often they are not true. Judging from his books, he doesn't seem to care too much about getting the facts right.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » July 6th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Whats the story with the luchese's bumpin off the ruskies feared assasin?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 7th, 2008, 12:46 am

TeeKay wrote:Whats the story with the luchese's bumpin off the ruskies feared assasin?
Casso and the Luccheses killed a number of Russian mobsters who got to big for their britches and thought they could take on the LCN. One Russian, Viktor Reznikov, tried to muscle in on another Russian who was running the bootleg gasoline racket for the Luccheses. Casso had him taken out. The Luccheses also killed another Russian mobster who was supposed to be aligned with them but was double dealing behind their backs. I'm not exactly sure who this "most feared assassin" is supposed to be but I'll ask some people who have read the book.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 7th, 2008, 7:48 am

OK it turns out that it was Reznikov that was the "feared Russian assassin" killed by the Luccheses. People who have read the book keep finding so many things wrong it's not even funny. Here are some of the mistakes so far -

Carlo says that Matthew "Matty the Horse" Ianniello is a Colombo member, when he is actually a Genovese member.

He says that the attempted hit on Frank Costello was in 1952, when it was actually in 1957.

He says that Bobby Boriello was a Lucchese member, when he was actually a Gambino member.

He claims that a Commission meeting took place where John Gotti was made Capo di tutti Capi or Boss of Bosses. This never happened.

He says that Hoffa was killed by members of the Genovese family's New Jersey faction. It is well known that New Jersey Genovese guys like Anthony "Tony Pro" Provenzano were likely involved in the Hoffa murder. So that's nothing new.

Despite Carlo's claims about new revelations on the Kennedy assassinations, Casso didn't have much to offer on those.

He refers to Philadelphia members Nicky Scarfo and Yogi Merlino as "Nicky Scarpo" and "Yogi Mellino."

He says that Joe Valachi flipped in 1952, when it was actually in 1963.

Supposedly there are close to 100 similar errors like this in the book. How this incompetent boob gets book deals I'll never know.

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Glesga

Unread post by Jinky08 » July 8th, 2008, 1:12 am

Works

Non-fiction:

* The Night Stalker: The Life and Crimes of Richard Ramirez (1996) ISBN 1-57566-030-X
* The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer (2006) ISBN 0-312-34928-9

Novels:

* Stolen Flower (1988) ISBN 0-525-24484-0
* Predators and Prayers (2005) ISBN 0-8439-5576-7
* Smiling Wolf (2006) ISBN 0-8439-5678-X

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 8th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Correction on the name of the Russian the Luccheses killed - It was Vladimir Reznikov, not Viktor.

Dudeman277

Unread post by Dudeman277 » July 11th, 2008, 8:56 pm

This author sounds like a lyin' sack of shit. Just to clarify, Kuklinski was never poised but according to him he used cyanide in different forms to kill people.