Lawyer discusses boycott's legacy (re: Rosa Parks)

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Lawyer discusses boycott's legacy (re: Rosa Parks)

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 2nd, 2005, 3:40 am

Lawyer discusses boycott's legacy
By GREG WRIGHT
Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON - Morris Dees, co-founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center, has been a civil rights champion for more than 30 years. The center in Montgomery, Ala., runs school tolerance education programs and monitors hate group activity. It has won multimillion-dollar lawsuits against the United Klans of America and Aryan Nations.

On the 50th anniversary of the Montgomery bus boycott that helped launch the modern civil rights movement, Dees, who founded the law center with Joseph Levin Jr., talked about the state of U.S. race relations:

Question: Have race relations improved since Rosa Parks refused to give up her bus seat in 1955?

Answer: I think race relations in America since Mrs. Parks sparked the bus boycott in Montgomery 50 years ago have greatly improved. We don't have an apartheid system of government. People can freely vote today. Today, people are not sitting in the back of the bus. But many times, minorities, Latinos, African-Americans and others are at the back of the economic line.

Q: In this era of political correctness, is the American public a bit exhausted with the question of race and equality?

A: I think Americans are divided on the issue of race and racial prejudice today. Polls show that African-Americans believe that, if you ask them do we have bias and discrimination today, 75 percent say yes. If you ask Anglo-Americans the same question, about 75 percent say no. People like myself - I'm a white American - go through life rarely thinking about the color of (their) skin. Dark-skinned people in this country think about it everyday because they confront situations that I have to never even think about.

Q: Should our education system do more to focus on hate and prevent it?

A: A child is born with no attitudes about love or hate. And hate is a taught thing. It's important to teach acceptance and tolerance in our schools. Maybe it's not going to be taught fully in our homes and our religious institutions, but especially in our schools because it's the first mixed community most people become a part of.

Q: Some studies show more teenagers are dating across cultural and racial lines.

Is there hope for a more harmonious society 50 years from now? A century from now?

A: Once you have an open society where people of all races go to the same schools and attend the same religious groups and involve themselves in occupations together, you'll have interracial romantic relationships. But just interracial relationships and dating is not totally the answer. I mean, that's fine, no problem. But what we have to do is get people to build bridges across these divides in this country that keep people separated.

Q: Are you worried our schools are even more segregated now?

A: Since those days in the 1950s, '60s and '70s when school integration began to take hold we've had resegregation. And the resegregation is caused by two things. People selecting different neighborhoods to live in, choosing those that are with people more like their own race so they can go to schools of the same race. And also the advent of an enormous number of private schools, many sponsored by churches. I'm not sure that is something that you can simply change by desiring to change it - people make choices. But within the education system there are ways to cross those boundaries other than having kids mixed in the same schools.

Q: The center monitors hate groups and critics say your group overestimates their number and the threat
A: Well, the criticism of the count that we make of hate groups comes from those people we include on the list. And clearly they don't want to be on the list. But the criteria we have of hate groups are pretty consistent. There are probably more hate groups than we list because many of them are secretive and it's difficult to find out.

Q: Which groups especially worry you?

A: The neo-Nazis and skinhead groups. You have other types of groups, even a few African American groups, that espouse the same philosophy - anti-Semitic, anti-Jewish philosophy - that some of the white hate groups have.

Q: Is the number of groups on the rise?

A: In the last total five years (there's been) about a 20 percent increase in the number of hate groups in the country. More significant is the rise of hate Web sites. The Web sites are like virtual hate groups. Kids from Idaho, from Alabama, from Oregon, from California can log onto those hate groups, find common interests. And then you'll end up with an individual - (a) paranoid, afraid young person deciding that unless he or she does something there's going to be a loss of the American way of life they believe in.

Q: There is an anti-terrorism war in Iraq. Are we ignoring internal threats from paramilitary or hate groups?

A: There is little attention paid by Homeland Security in the U.S. government on domestic terrorist groups. Since 1995, since Timothy McVeigh bombed the Oklahoma (Alfred P. Murrah Federal) building, there have been over 50 separate terrorist incidents by domestic terrorist groups and 15 law enforcement officers since 1995 have been murdered (in) incidents directly tied to hate groups.

Q: After the center brought its first major civil action against the Ku Klux Klan in 1979 it received death threats. Klansmen burned the center's office in 1983. You've had a lot of threats against your life. What is it in your background that made you want to be a risk taker - a person who for a long time held up the rights of other people?

A: I don't think I set out to do that. I had an opportunity to take those
controversial cases or back off. I probably took them because I had good parents. (I) grew up on a small cotton farm. (We were) tenant farmers, worked for others. (We) picked cotton alongside blacks in the field and knew the pain they suffered so when some of those same people came to see me I did my best to defend them.

Originally published December 1, 2005

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbc ... 01002/1002

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 3rd, 2005, 2:08 pm

SHE COULD NOT POSSIBLY KNOW THE PAIN THAT AMERICAN BLACKS FELT

SHE HAS GOT TO BE OVER 110YRS OLD IF SHE TALKING ABOUT HOW SHE PICKED COTTON ALONSIDE BLACKS. :lol:

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 3rd, 2005, 6:27 pm

100 wrote:SHE COULD NOT POSSIBLY KNOW THE PAIN THAT AMERICAN BLACKS FELT

SHE HAS GOT TO BE OVER 110YRS OLD IF SHE TALKING ABOUT HOW SHE PICKED COTTON ALONSIDE BLACKS. :lol:
Are you ok?? Do you know who Rosa Parks was and what this amazing strong woman did??? You need to do a little more research before you let such ridiculous statements come out you're finger tips.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 5th, 2005, 3:00 pm

crstnamre wrote:

Are you ok?? Do you know who Rosa Parks was and what this amazing strong woman did??? You need to do a little more research before you let such ridiculous statements come out you're finger tips.

NO NEED TO SHE COULD NOT POSSIBLY KNOW THE PAIN SO ZIP IT!

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 5th, 2005, 3:27 pm

100 wrote:
crstnamre wrote:

NO NEED TO SHE COULD NOT POSSIBLY KNOW THE PAIN SO ZIP IT!
Rosa Parks was black. She passed away last month.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » December 5th, 2005, 5:50 pm

its pretty sad if you dont even know who rosa parks is.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 5th, 2005, 6:53 pm

Maybe this will help.

I know you HAVE to know who that is with Mrs. Parks in the above picture.....right?

Biography: Rosa Parks
Pioneer of Civil Rights

Rosa Parks Date of birth: February 4, 1913
Date of death: October 24, 2005
Print Biography

Most historians date the beginning of the modern civil rights movement in the United States to December 1, 1955. That was the day when an unknown seamstress in Montgomery, Alabama refused to give up her bus seat to a white passenger. This brave woman, Rosa Parks, was arrested and fined for violating a city ordinance, but her lonely act of defiance began a movement that ended legal segregation in America, and made her an inspiration to freedom-loving people everywhere.

Rosa Parks was born Rosa Louise McCauley in Tuskegee, Alabama to James McCauley, a carpenter, and Leona McCauley, a teacher. At the age of two she moved to her grandparents' farm in Pine Level, Alabama with her mother and younger brother, Sylvester. At the age of 11 she enrolled in the Montgomery Industrial School for Girls, a private school founded by liberal-minded women from the northern United States. The school's philosophy of self-worth was consistent with Leona McCauley's advice to "take advantage of the opportunities, no matter how few they were."

Opportunities were few indeed. "Back then," Mrs. Parks recalled in an interview, "we didn't have any civil rights. It was just a matter of survival, of existing from one day to the next. I remember going to sleep as a girl hearing the Klan ride at night and hearing a lynching and being afraid the house would burn down." In the same interview, she cited her lifelong acquaintance with fear as the reason for her relative fearlessness in deciding to appeal her conviction during the bus boycott. "I didn't have any special fear," she said. "It was more of a relief to know that I wasn't alone."

After attending Alabama State Teachers College, the young Rosa settled in Montgomery, with her husband, Raymond Parks. The couple joined the local chapter of the NAACP and worked quietly for many years to improve the lot of African-Americans in the segregated south.

"I worked on numerous cases with the NAACP," Mrs. Parks recalled, "but we did not get the publicity. There were cases of flogging, peonage, murder, and rape. We didn't seem to have too many successes. It was more a matter of trying to challenge the powers that be, and to let it be known that we did not wish to continue being second-class citizens."

The bus incident led to the formation of the Montgomery Improvement Association, led by the young pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The association called for a boycott of the city-owned bus company. The boycott lasted 382 days and brought Mrs. Parks, Dr. King, and their cause to the attention of the world. A Supreme Court Decision struck down the Montgomery ordinance under which Mrs. Parks had been fined, and outlawed racial segregation on public transportation.

In 1957, Mrs. Parks and her husband moved to Detroit, Michigan where Mrs. Parks served on the staff of U.S. Representative John Conyers. The Southern Christian Leadership Council established an annual Rosa Parks Freedom Award in her honor.

After the death of her husband in 1977, Mrs. Parks founded the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self-Development. The Institute sponsors an annual summer program for teenagers called Pathways to Freedom. The young people tour the country in buses, under adult supervision, learning the history of their country and of the civil rights movement. President Clinton presented Rosa Parks with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1996. She received a Congressional Gold Medal in 1999.

When asked if she was happy living in retirement, Rosa Parks replied, "I do the very best I can to look upon life with optimism and hope and looking forward to a better day, but I don't think there is any such thing as complete happiness. It pains me that there is still a lot of Klan activity and racism. I think when you say you're happy, you have everything that you need and everything that you want, and nothing more to wish for. I haven't reached that stage yet."

Mrs. Parks spent her last years living quietly in Detroit, where she died in 2005 at the age of 92. After her death, her casket was placed in the rotunda of the United States Capitol for two days, so the nation could pay its respects to the woman whose courage had changed the lives of so many. She was the first woman in American history to lie in state at the Capitol, an honor usually reserved for Presidents of the United States.

Now hon??? PLEASE tell me that you at least know who that is paying his respects to Mrs. Parks???

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 6th, 2005, 3:45 pm

se11 wrote:its pretty sad if you dont even know who rosa parks is.

DUDE SHUT YOUR ASS UP IF YOUR REFERING TO ME I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WHITE LADY NOT ROSA PARKS IDIOT.

I BET ROSA PARKS AND MLK IS ALL WHAT YOU KNOW, GON ASK ME DO I KNOW WHO ROSA PARKS IS YOUR LAME

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » December 6th, 2005, 3:52 pm

100 wrote:

DUDE SHUT YOUR ASS UP IF YOUR REFERING TO ME I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WHITE LADY NOT ROSA PARKS IDIOT.

I BET ROSA PARKS AND MLK IS ALL WHAT YOU KNOW, GON ASK ME DO I KNOW WHO ROSA PARKS IS YOUR LAME
then maybe you should word your posts a little bit better

not_the_one
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by not_the_one » December 6th, 2005, 4:59 pm

Damn itz that lady who had to give up her seat cause of a white person, man i feel bad bout slavery n' the way white people treated black people, but i feel good about slavery, also, cause 70% of the street crimes today are done by black people, but shes brave, cause i kno that dis is BS that fuckin racist kkk basterd types had to fuckin put sweet ol' harmless lady on the back, cause if an accident happens, white man gets the best way out, n' bout slavery bein a problem then, why dun dey arrest black people that do the crimes, not the caring. Just ma opinion, im not racist.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 6th, 2005, 6:09 pm

100 wrote:

So let me get this straight....out of all this "white" person did to help in the civil rights movement..working right alongside to help blacks....you still got shit to talk about them??? Out of that whole article...all you picked up on was a negative and ran with it. NICE.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 6th, 2005, 6:10 pm

se11 wrote:
100 wrote:

then maybe you should word your posts a little bit better

OH MY BAD

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 6th, 2005, 6:12 pm

crstnamre wrote:
100 wrote:

So let me get this straight....out of all this "white" person did to help in the civil rights movement..working right alongside to help blacks....you still got shit to talk about them??? Out of that whole article...all you picked up on was a negative and ran with it. NICE.

YEAH THERE WERE QUITE A FEW WHITES THAT HELPED THEY MAY BEEN OF JEWISH BACKGROUND ALSO, I KNOW YOU HEARD OF THE KKK THAT WAS TRIED FOR THE MURDERS OF 3 CIVIL RIGHTS WORKERS 2 WERE WHITE AND ONE AS BLACK, THEY BURNED THE VICTIMS.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 6th, 2005, 9:17 pm

100 wrote:
crstnamre wrote:
100 wrote:

YEAH THERE WERE QUITE A FEW WHITES THAT HELPED THEY MAY BEEN OF JEWISH BACKGROUND ALSO, I KNOW YOU HEARD OF THE KKK THAT WAS TRIED FOR THE MURDERS OF 3 CIVIL RIGHTS WORKERS 2 WERE WHITE AND ONE AS BLACK, THEY BURNED THE VICTIMS.
Are you now saying that the only whites that have been involved in civil rights movements have been Jewish???

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 6th, 2005, 10:02 pm

also implies in addition to something, so he means that there were probably jewish whites in addition to regular whites. And what the fuck you talking about not_the one? Your ass typing some fake ass ebonics to sound black. I bet your ass aint even black. Not racist but kind of agree with slavery? Idiotic shit.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 6th, 2005, 10:09 pm

perongregory wrote:also implies in addition to something, so he means that there were probably jewish whites in addition to regular whites. And what the fu-- you talking about not_the one? Your ass typing some fake ass ebonics to sound black. I bet your ass aint even black. Not racist but kind of agree with slavery? Idiotic shit.
That would be why I asked for clarification.

not_the_one
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by not_the_one » December 6th, 2005, 10:36 pm

Ur acting like little kids, god bless ya, son.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 6th, 2005, 11:04 pm

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » December 6th, 2005, 11:17 pm

not_the_one wrote:Damn itz that lady who had to give up her seat cause of a white person, man i feel bad bout slavery n' the way white people treated black people, but i feel good about slavery, also, cause 70% of the street crimes today are done by black people, but shes brave, cause i kno that dis is BS that fuckin racist kkk basterd types had to fuckin put sweet ol' harmless lady on the back, cause if an accident happens, white man gets the best way out, n' bout slavery bein a problem then, why dun dey arrest black people that do the crimes, not the caring. Just ma opinion, im not racist.
Okay, did eveyrone else just miss this between the conversation between christy and 100, because , did I just rea that right? And no one responded???

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 6th, 2005, 11:34 pm

I cannot even understand what that kid writes, typing all slangish (is that a new word?, lol) or whatever you want to call it.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » December 6th, 2005, 11:43 pm

not_the_one wrote:Damn itz that lady who had to give up her seat cause of a white person, man i feel bad bout slavery n' the way white people treated black people, but i feel good about slavery, also, cause 70% of the street crimes today are done by black people, but shes brave, cause i kno that dis is BS that fuckin racist kkk basterd types had to fuckin put sweet ol' harmless lady on the back, cause if an accident happens, white man gets the best way out, n' bout slavery bein a problem then, why dun dey arrest black people that do the crimes, not the caring. Just ma opinion, im not racist.
I wouldn't worry about this kid for too long. He's insane. He claims to be a hard core gangbanger from Toronto, then talks about how he hates blacks because "they commit crime" :?: :?:

Then he floods other threads will useless posts. And crstnamre is correct, I can't even understand his posts. He's trying way to hard to type in ebonics.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 7th, 2005, 11:07 am

End Violence NOW wrote:
Okay, did eveyrone else just miss this between the conversation between christy and 100, because , did I just rea that right? And no one responded???

WHO IN THE HELL IS CHRISTY?

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 7th, 2005, 11:11 am

crstnamre wrote:
100 wrote:
crstnamre wrote:
100 wrote:

Are you now saying that the only whites that have been involved in civil rights movements have been Jewish???

COULD HAVE BEEN, BUT REGARDLESS THE FEW NUMBERS DON' MEAN ANYTHING AT LEAST NOT TO ME MANY WERE REPORTERS, ETC OR A FEW JUST TRYING TO HELP NOW

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 7th, 2005, 5:40 pm

Could have been what?. Quit talking in circles.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » December 7th, 2005, 5:45 pm

100 wrote:WHO IN THE HELL IS CHRISTY?
I used "christy" as short for crstnamre.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 7th, 2005, 5:51 pm

End Violence NOW wrote:
That would be me.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 7th, 2005, 7:00 pm

End Violence NOW wrote:

SO ARE YOU AND ENDVIOLENCE THE SAME PERSON? IF NOT WHY DID YOU SAY YOU AND ITS THE PERSON NAME UNDER YOUR POST WHICH IS ABOVE MINE?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » December 7th, 2005, 7:18 pm

100 wrote:
End Violence NOW wrote:

SO ARE YOU AND ENDVIOLENCE THE SAME PERSON? IF NOT WHY DID YOU SAY YOU AND ITS THE PERSON NAME UNDER YOUR POST WHICH IS ABOVE MINE?
I'm calling you a taxi, give me your keys hahaha

Really you sound sort of drunk right now, I said that I typed christy as short for crstnameer because she said somewhere else her name was christina marie or something like that, and then after I explained that, crstnamere said "That's me". What is so confusing about that?

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 7th, 2005, 9:33 pm

End Violence NOW wrote:
100 wrote:
End Violence NOW wrote:

I'm calling you a taxi, give me your keys hahaha

LMAO!!!!!

Really you sound sort of drunk right now, I said that I typed christy as short for crstnameer because she said somewhere else her name was christina marie or something like that, and then after I explained that, crstnamere said "That's me". What is so confusing about that?

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 7th, 2005, 9:37 pm

100 wrote:
End Violence NOW wrote:

No...last time I checked, we were not the same person. How about you EVN, (End Violence NOW)?? (uh oh, better not use initials, don't want to confuse 100 further).

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 8th, 2005, 5:15 pm

crstnamre wrote:
100 wrote:
End Violence NOW wrote:

No...last time I checked, we were not the same person. How about you EVN, (End Violence NOW)?? (uh oh, better not use initials, don't want to confuse 100 further).

man fukk both of yal :lol:

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”