Racist Fans Worry Many in World Cup Soccer

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Racist Fans Worry Many in World Cup Soccer

Unread post by curiousdude06 » June 7th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Wow, guess where the real racists thrive en masse, openly and with impunity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/sport ... wanted=all

Surge in Racist Mood Raises Concerns on Eve of World Cup

By JERE LONGMAN
Published: June 4, 2006

HAMBURG, Germany, June 3 — As he left the soccer field after a club match in the eastern German city of Halle on March 25, the Nigerian forward Adebowale Ogungbure was spit upon, jeered with racial remarks and mocked with monkey noises. In rebuke, he placed two fingers under his nose to simulate a Hitler mustache and thrust his arm in a Nazi salute.

In April, the American defender Oguchi Onyewu, playing for his professional club team in Belgium, dismissively gestured toward fans who were making simian chants at him. Then, as he went to throw the ball inbounds, Onyewu said a fan of the opposing team reached over a barrier and punched him in the face.

International soccer has been plagued for years by violence among fans, including racial incidents. But FIFA, soccer's Zurich-based world governing body, said there has been a recent surge in discriminatory behavior toward blacks by fans and other players, an escalation that has dovetailed with the signing of more players from Africa and Latin America by elite European clubs.

This "deplorable trend," as FIFA has called it, now threatens to embarrass the sport on its grandest stage, the World Cup, which opens June 9 for a monthlong run in 12 cities around Germany. More than 30 billion cumulative television viewers are expected to watch part of the competition and Joseph S. Blatter, FIFA's president, has vowed to crack down on racist behavior during the tournament.

Underlining FIFA's concerns, the issue has been included on the agenda at its biannual Congress, scheduled to be held this week in Munich. A campaign against bigotry includes "Say No to Racism" stadium banners, television commercials, and team captains making pregame speeches during the quarterfinals of the 32-team tournament.

Players, coaches and officials have been threatened with sanctions. But FIFA has said it would not be practical to use the harshest penalties available to punish misbehaving fans — halting matches, holding games in empty stadiums and deducting points that teams receive for victories and ties..........

Players and antiracism experts said they expected offensive behavior during the tournament, including monkey-like chanting; derisive singing; the hanging of banners that reflect neofascist and racist beliefs; and perhaps the tossing of bananas or banana peels, all familiar occurrences during matches in Spain, Italy, eastern Germany and eastern Europe.

Particularly worrisome are the possibilities of attacks by extremist groups on spectators and visitors in train stations, bars, restaurants and open areas near the stadiums, Wachter and other experts said. To promote tolerance, he said his organization would organize street soccer matches outside World Cup stadiums.

Recent attacks in the eastern Germany city of Potsdam on an Ethiopian-born engineer and in eastern Berlin on a state lawmaker of Turkish descent, along with a government report showing an increase in right-wing violence, have ignited fears that even sporadic hate crimes and other intolerant behavior could mar the World Cup, whose embracing motto is A Time to Make Friends........

Far-right extremism is isolated on the fringe of German society, and the German government has intended to confront its Nazi past while preaching openness and tolerance. Germany has one of the world's lowest rates of violent crime. Still, an immigrant group called the Africa Council said it would publish a "No Go" guide for nonwhites during the World Cup, particularly for some areas of eastern Berlin and for surrounding towns of the state of Brandenburg.

In mid-May, a former government spokesman, Uwe-Karsten Heye, caused a furor when he tried to assist visitors by advising that anyone "with a different skin color" avoid visiting small and midsize towns in Brandenburg and elsewhere in eastern Germany, or they "may not leave with their lives."

Gerald Asamoah, a forward on Germany's World Cup team and a native of Ghana, has been recounting an incident in the 1990's when he was pelted with bananas before a club match in Cottbus. "I'll never forget that," he said in a television interview. "It's like we're not people." He has expressed anger and sadness over a banner distributed by a right-wing group that admonished, "No Gerald, You Are Not Germany."

Cory Gibbs, an American defender who formerly played professionally in Germany, said there were restaurants and nightclubs in eastern Germany — and even around Hamburg in the west — where he was told "You're not welcome" because he was black.

"I think racism is everywhere," said Gibbs, who will miss the World Cup because of a knee injury. "But I feel in Germany racism is a lot more direct."

Not all the misbehavior can be traced to fans or to Europe. Players and coaches have also been transgressors.

Luis Aragonés, Spain's World Cup coach, was fined in 2004 after making racial remarks about the French star Thierry Henry. In March, in the Brazilian league, the defender Antonio Carlos was suspended for 120 days, and 4 additional matches, after an incident in which he shouted "monkey" at an opposing player who was black. But it was an incident in Spain on Feb. 25 that galvanized antiracist sentiment and prodded FIFA into taking a tougher stand against bigoted behavior. That match, in Zaragoza, was temporarily halted in the 77th minute by the referee, who threatened to cancel the remaining 13 minutes after Samuel Eto'o, the star forward for Barcelona, was subjected to a chorus of racial taunts. Eto'o threatened to leave the field. His coach and teammates eventually persuaded him to continue, and last month Barcelona won the European Champions Cup......"

This isn't an "isolated" incident or new:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Dec12.html december 2004

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 7th, 2006, 11:42 pm

f*ck em all, line em up and boooom

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » June 8th, 2006, 9:13 am

I know that some German Nazi hooligans plan on some demonstrations during the world cup. Lets see what happens.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » June 8th, 2006, 2:21 pm

I hope we don't see that kind of stupidity in World Cup. Not racism, not hooliganism. Although, unfortunately I think there will be hooligans fighting and that police can't do nothing about that.

And Sentenza, good luck for Germany tomorrow ;)

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 8th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Sentenza wrote:I know that some German Nazi hooligans plan on some demonstrations during the world cup. Lets see what happens.
lets hope that something good and bloody happens to them haha

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » June 16th, 2006, 2:20 pm

so what has happened?

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » June 16th, 2006, 4:34 pm

I was about to ask the same question... I saw from the news that atleast Germans and Polish had some fights, but how bad was it? Or has there been any other fights?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » June 16th, 2006, 4:41 pm

niro wrote:
Sentenza wrote:I know that some German Nazi hooligans plan on some demonstrations during the world cup. Lets see what happens.
I heard that in I think it was euro 2000 the british hooligans were going to all these countries like holland, germany, france, etc. and wrecking stuff nad attacking people and causing fights but when they got to Turkey and england played turkey the turkish hooligans were ready for them with knives and some corpses were sent back to Britain.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 17th, 2006, 3:43 am

Invincible wrote:
niro wrote:
I heard that in I think it was euro 2000 the british hooligans were going to all these countries like holland, germany, france, etc. and wrecking stuff nad attacking people and causing fights but when they got to Turkey and england played turkey the turkish hooligans were ready for them with knives and some corpses were sent back to Britain.
yea thats true
but i think by that time few thousand of the hardcore hooligans had been slapped with bannin orders and stuff and could not travel to turkey, might have been different story otherwise

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » June 17th, 2006, 8:06 am

Invincible wrote:
niro wrote:

Those English that got killed were fans of Leeds United,a club from England who were playing in Turkey.Two of them got killed.There were only maybey 30 hooligans of Leeds United and they got ambushed.Had nothing to do with the national team of England.And when Turkey had to play England in England,every thug and hooligan were waiting for them.Not one Turk showed up.But the English did get revenge,Arsenal had to play a Turkish team in i think it was Denmark.And there were big fights.Same when a Turkish team had to play in France Paris.There they got ambushed bij France hooligans and skinheads,with many casualties among the Turks.And for the fights English supporters causing everywhere,that maybe true.But when they went to France to the World Cup 1998,they got slapped all over the place.Thousand of immigrants in France went on some English bashing.And for the German nazi hooligans,they control the east of Germany.They are no joke.Same for Berlin,don't go to the east of Berlin.The hooligans and skinheads are a powerhouse over there.Hooligans of Berlin even made contact with Columbian druglords and were smuggling cocaïne to Germany.They control all the pubs and disco's in the east of Berlin.

FLUID
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by FLUID » June 17th, 2006, 11:55 am

I Bet they do hate niggas in some fuckin Germany/Europe. I wouldn't dare get caught fuckin around over there. I don't see how them black brothas can be comfortable playin in that NFL Europe League shit.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 17th, 2006, 2:46 pm

they hav a NFL in europe lolll

i didnt know that

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » June 17th, 2006, 3:22 pm

FLUID wrote:I Bet they do hate niggas in some fuckin Germany/Europe. I wouldn't dare get caught fuckin around over there. I don't see how them black brothas can be comfortable playin in that NFL Europe League shit.
Germany is bad,but especially in the east of Germany.There were something like 90.000 racist attacks over there.No joke.In the west it isn't that bad,but they are there to,but low key.Germany as a race are just racist,it is in there nature.I had a aunt who lived there and she is black.She went to the toilet in a restaurant and there was a line,it was really busy.She did her thing in the toilet and everybody just went to a other toilet.They didn't want to sit on the same toilet as her.That's Germany and that was a mild example.Why do you think there is only one stadium in the east of Germany where they play World Cup matches?The rest of the World Cup matches are all played in the west of Germany.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 17th, 2006, 4:26 pm

dutch wrote:
FLUID wrote:I Bet they do hate niggas in some fuckin Germany/Europe. I wouldn't dare get caught fuckin around over there. I don't see how them black brothas can be comfortable playin in that NFL Europe League shit.
Germany is bad,but especially in the east of Germany.There were something like 90.000 racist attacks over there.No joke.In the west it isn't that bad,but they are there to,but low key.Germany as a race are just racist,it is in there nature.I had a aunt who lived there and she is black.She went to the toilet in a restaurant and there was a line,it was really busy.She did her thing in the toilet and everybody just went to a other toilet.They didn't want to sit on the same toilet as her.That's Germany and that was a mild example.Why do you think there is only one stadium in the east of Germany where they play World Cup matches?The rest of the World Cup matches are all played in the west of Germany.
LOL, you are talking shit. Sorry, but i am from Germany, i know what the deal is.
IT IS NOT IN OUR NATURE, ABANDON THAT THOUGHT. Even if you have anger cause Germany fucked Holland in Sports and politics ALL OF THE TIME. ;) ;) ;) (Feel free tto diss me also :lol: )
Thats not my fault. There are lots of Nazi Skins in East Germany and they are more opnely agitating than in the west. I wont go into the reasons for that, unless someone wants to know, but i was visiting East Germany and i saw lots of Nazi Skins sometimes. But its not like they dominate everydaylife. Only in some special isolated regions.

If you come to where i am at you get fucked as a Nazi. Point blank. We have lots of common sensed people in Germany, thats why the Nazis parties very rarely get over 5% of the votes during elections. Basically the liberal, left wing side gets most of the votes in genereal.

So fuck the "all Germans are Nazis" mindset. Its not true.

Peace.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 17th, 2006, 4:28 pm

dutch wrote:
Invincible wrote:
niro wrote:

Those English that got killed were fans of Leeds United,a club from England who were playing in Turkey.Two of them got killed.There were only maybey 30 hooligans of Leeds United and they got ambushed.Had nothing to do with the national team of England.And when Turkey had to play England in England,every thug and hooligan were waiting for them.Not one Turk showed up.But the English did get revenge,Arsenal had to play a Turkish team in i think it was Denmark.And there were big fights.Same when a Turkish team had to play in France Paris.There they got ambushed bij France hooligans and skinheads,with many casualties among the Turks.And for the fights English supporters causing everywhere,that maybe true.But when they went to France to the World Cup 1998,they got slapped all over the place.Thousand of immigrants in France went on some English bashing.And for the German nazi hooligans,they control the east of Germany.They are no joke.Same for Berlin,don't go to the east of Berlin.The hooligans and skinheads are a powerhouse over there.Hooligans of Berlin even made contact with Columbian druglords and were smuggling cocaïne to Germany.They control all the pubs and disco's in the east of Berlin.
Turkish and English Hooligans are NOT to be messed with. Even if they are chaotic, drunk bastards. They are willing to kill you because of a fucking soccer game.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 17th, 2006, 4:33 pm

punamusta wrote:I hope we don't see that kind of stupidity in World Cup. Not racism, not hooliganism. Although, unfortunately I think there will be hooligans fighting and that police can't do nothing about that.

And Sentenza, good luck for Germany tomorrow ;)
Kiitos :) We won that shit and hopefully will make it far in the World Cup. People are going crazy about it over here. And i got to admit, me too :)

And yes, the polish and german hooligans had some fights. But the real deal was going on in some woods in East Germany. They had appointments about meeting there and a few polish and german hooligans were smashing each other somewhere in "the outback". Thats how they always handle it, cause the police is aware of that shit since the 1998 incident where they almost beat a cop to death in France.
You have thousands, ten thousands of cops roaming the streets of germany these days.
I hope the cops gonna smash those Nazi fucks.

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » June 17th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Sentenza wrote:
dutch wrote:
LOL, you are talking shit. Sorry, but i am from Germany, i know what the deal is.
IT IS NOT IN OUR NATURE, ABANDON THAT THOUGHT. Even if you have anger cause Germany #%@& Holland in Sports and politics ALL OF THE TIME. ;) ;) ;) (Feel free tto diss me also :lol: )
Thats not my fault. There are lots of Nazi Skins in East Germany and they are more opnely agitating than in the west. I wont go into the reasons for that, unless someone wants to know, but i was visiting East Germany and i saw lots of Nazi Skins sometimes. But its not like they dominate everydaylife. Only in some special isolated regions.

If you come to where i am at you get #%@& as a Nazi. Point blank. We have lots of common sensed people in Germany, thats why the Nazis parties very rarely get over 5% of the votes during elections. Basically the liberal, left wing side gets most of the votes in genereal.

So fu-- the "all Germans are Nazis" mindset. Its not true.

Peace.
Offcourse not all of the Germans are nazi's.But do you remember Rostock or was it another town in Germany when skinheads attacked asylum seekers at there homes and burned the place.Do you remember who was cheering them on,right the normal German people who lived in that place.And yes you did f.uck the Netherlands at the World Cup final of 1974 and yes that still bother us. :lol:And that story about mine aunt is true bij the way.

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » June 17th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Sentenza wrote:
dutch wrote:
Invincible wrote:
niro wrote:

Turkish and English Hooligans are NOT to be messed with. Even if they are chaotic, drunk bastards. They are willing to kill you because of a #%@&#%@ soccer game.
It don't matter from wich country hooligans come from England,Germany,Holland,they are all dangerous.I don't really include the Turks because they don't have real hooligans like in Germany an so on.Hooligans from West-Europe are different it isn't about getting drunk and smashing things up and voila your a hooligan.And like exremist from the Islam who are abusing the Islam to commit murder,football hooligans abuse football to have a fight.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 17th, 2006, 6:05 pm

dutch wrote:
Sentenza wrote:
dutch wrote:
IT IS NOT IN OUR NATURE, ABANDON THAT THOUGHT. Even if you have anger cause Germany #%@& Holland in Sports and politics ALL OF THE TIME. ;) ;) ;) (Feel free tto diss me also :lol: )

If you come to where i am at you get #%@& as a Nazi. Point blank. We have lots of common sensed people in Germany, thats why the Nazis parties very rarely get over 5% of the votes during elections. Basically the liberal, left wing side gets most of the votes in genereal.

So fu-- the "all Germans are Nazis" mindset. Its not true.

Peace.
Offcourse not all of the Germans are nazi's.But do you remember Rostock or was it another town in Germany when skinheads attacked asylum seekers at there homes and burned the place.Do you remember who was cheering them on,right the normal German people who lived in that place.And yes you did f.uck the Netherlands at the World Cup final of 1974 and yes that still bother us. :lol:And that story about mine aunt is true bij the way.
I remember Rostock. To me its a shame.

Here are some pics for the people who dont know.

Notice how that drunk guy peed his pants.

Nazis burnt down a house with mostly Vietnames and Romanian people in it:

BUT:

It is not in our nature Come to Berlin and you will find out. (WEST of course :wink: )

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 18th, 2006, 5:40 am

I'll tell u guys now, Northern Ireland is soon gonna be (if it aint already) the racist capital of Europe.

There's sum irish kids in a part of my area and they always startin trouble with the asian kids

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » June 18th, 2006, 6:53 am

niro wrote:they hav a NFL in europe lolll

i didnt know that
Me either. NFL Europe League, what a f*ck, hahah.

And about that "whole Germany is full of Nazis"... I've been in Germany 5-6 times and I never seen even a single Nazi there (not that I was looking for them, haha). Haven't been in the Eastern parts, but at least the Western Germany is a chilled out place.

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » June 18th, 2006, 8:40 am

niro wrote:I'll tell u guys now, Northern Ireland is soon gonna be (if it aint already) the racist capital of Europe.

There's sum irish kids in a part of my area and they always startin trouble with the asian kids
Is Combat 18 still active in England?Don't hear much about them these days.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 18th, 2006, 4:17 pm

punamusta wrote:
niro wrote:they hav a NFL in europe lolll

i didnt know that
Me either. NFL Europe League, what a f*ck, hahah.

And about that "whole Germany is full of Nazis"... I've been in Germany 5-6 times and I never seen even a single Nazi there (not that I was looking for them, haha). Haven't been in the Eastern parts, but at least the Western Germany is a chilled out place.

Heres some more stuff about it:

No Hitler for hooligans, English soccer fans warned
Officials trying to keep peace between British-German fans

By Sarah Lyall
NEW YORK TIMES NEWS
Monday, June 05, 2006

LONDON — They have been warned, as always, not to rampage through the streets, destroying things and attacking people. But as England's soccer fans prepare to visit Germany for the World Cup, another item has been added to their long "verboten" list: Don't mention the war.

"It's not a joke," Charles Clarke, then the home secretary, warned at a pre-World Cup briefing earlier this spring. "It is not a comic thing to do. It is totally insulting and wrong."

That means, basically, no getting drunk and goose-stepping in a would-be humorous manner. No Nazi salutes. No shouting "Sieg Heil!" at the referees. No impromptu finger-under-the-nose Hitler mustaches.

"Doing mock Nazi salutes or fake impersonations of Hitler — that's actually against the law in Germany," Andrin Cooper, a spokesman for the Football Association, which administers English soccer, said in an interview.

Even something as simple as wearing an ersatz German war helmet could violate German laws against inciting hatred and glorifying extremism, Clarke said at the briefing.

"The reason why the German parliament passed these laws was because the era we are talking about was one of total horror and destruction in Germany," he continued. "Anyone who thinks it's entertaining to get involved in this sort of thing, I absolutely urge them not to do so."

The authorities in both countries have developed elaborate programs to ensure that England's fans behave themselves in Germany when the competition begins Friday. Some 3,200 people with histories of violence and hooliganism have been required to surrender their passports and are forbidden to leave Britain during the tournament.

Dozens of British officers are being dispatched to Germany to help keep order. Some English players have recorded advertisements exhorting the fans to respect their hosts, and fans' groups have arranged various communal activities with their German counterparts. One group plans to visit Auschwitz.

Getting the English to refrain from obnoxious references to World War II should be easy enough. The war ended more than 60 years ago. The Germans themselves seem to have moved on. Even Europe, with its history of chronic internecine conflict, has pulled itself together and found a common purpose, at least theoretically, in the European Union.

But for some perverse reason — intellectual laziness; the tendency of British schools to teach German history through the prism of the Nazi era; a yearning for a simpler time, when Britain had an empire and a clear set of enemies — many England fans seem stubbornly unable to let go of Germany's past.

"There's clearly more than 100 years of martial conflict between the two nations, and sport has a nasty habit of mixing up events off the pitch with events on the pitch," Matthew Perryman, a spokesman for the official England fans' club, said in an interview. (Pitch is English, real English, for soccer field.)

This obsession manifests itself in ways that are funny, infantile or offensive, depending on perspective.

During Germany-England matches, for instance, the fans like to sing the theme from "The Dam Busters," a 1954 film about how English bombers destroyed German dams during the war. Employing accompanying hand gestures, they perform a song called "Ten German Bombers," the upshot of which is that all the airmen are shot down.

They also shout "Stand up if you won the war!" and "Two world wars and one World Cup!" at the German fans. The second is a reference to the last (and only) time England won the World Cup, in 1966.

Perhaps the British are jealous of Germany's general postwar success.

"German supporters would be within their rights to respond, 'Twice as many hospital beds and three times as many World Cups,' " or, alternatively, "Higher GDP per capita than you," Paul Hayward wrote some years ago in The Daily Telegraph, in an earlier incarnation of the same debate.

Perryman suggested that there are plenty of non-Nazi-related ways to irritate the Germans, including bringing up England's 5-1 defeat of Germany in 2001, an incident that at the time inspired several British newspapers to use the headline "Don't Mention the Score."

"You know our joke in Germany," Perryman related. " 'What time is it? Five to one!' "

Just don't mention the war.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 19th, 2006, 4:10 am

dutch wrote:
niro wrote:I'll tell u guys now, Northern Ireland is soon gonna be (if it aint already) the racist capital of Europe.

Is Combat 18 still active in England?Don't hear much about them these days.
Dunno i havent heard bout them in england since those london nailbombs, i guess they must still be some in Northern Ireland

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » June 19th, 2006, 4:18 am

[
quote="Sentenza"]
It is not in our nature Come to Berlin and you will find out. (WEST of course :wink: )
[/quote]

Some of my friends wanted to go to Berlin on vacation,we are all dark-skinned and i made them so scared about Berlin about the hooligans and so on,that they didn't wanted to go no more.But i know that there are allot of minorities living in Berlin and that it is a good place to go and have a good holiday.What kind of parade you always had in Berlin,wasn't it the Love Parade.Shame that they don't organise it no more.Was the best parade of the world and the biggest.But one of these days i will visit Berlin.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 19th, 2006, 5:36 am

About 1/5 of Berlin are minorities, thats around 6-700,000 people.
You have some Areas in Berlin where Nazi Skins are present, but thats almost exclusively in the east. I mean openly present. Like hanging on street corners and stuff.
This year the love parade is happening again. They revived it. But its not my thing, not my music.Some day in July in think. But yes, it was the biggest parade in the world.

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”