North African People

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

North African People

Unread post by johnnny » December 18th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Are they white? or brown or black?

Like in america they class them as white
But when i see pictures of north african people, they look white or brown and not black whats up with that? im confused

Capo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Capo » December 19th, 2006, 4:17 am

The original North African people (speaking for Morocco as I lived there when I was younger) were berber which could be compared to the indians here, dark-skinned, had their own religion and culture. When the arabs (paler skinned) conquered and islamized the region, with time both people mixed and most people nowadays can't really tell if they're berber or arab since they've mixed so much. Add to that black africans which were once slaves and mixes with them too although not as much as the berber and arabs

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » December 19th, 2006, 4:37 am

Pics of Berber:

Arabs:

Tunisian Soccer Team etc....

But you even have blonde and light northern africans, so id say they are pretty mixed.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » December 19th, 2006, 4:39 am

He is also Berber:

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » December 19th, 2006, 5:53 am

I agree with you Sentenza….. Berbers are a mixture of different ethnic groups, the term "Berber" refers more to the language spoken and not necessarily to a specific race. Genetic evidence indicates that the Berbers are descended from several waves of immigration into the area, dating as far back as 50,000 years.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » December 19th, 2006, 5:59 am

Funny thing is, that they have been feuding with the Arabs for a long time.
I know a Berber and he told me that they were always engaging in brawls and fist fights with the Arabs in Algeria...
I think it almost turned into civil war at a time, but i am not sure about that.

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » December 19th, 2006, 8:56 am

thats some fucked up shit, thanks guys

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 19th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Berbers are some mixed up people.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 19th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Capo wrote:The original North African people (speaking for Morocco as I lived there when I was younger) were berber which could be compared to the indians here, dark-skinned, had their own religion and culture. When the arabs (paler skinned) conquered and islamized the region, with time both people mixed and most people nowadays can't really tell if they're berber or arab since they've mixed so much. Add to that black africans which were once slaves and mixes with them too although not as much as the berber and arabs
What's the purpose of this info right here, and what historical context is it even in?

Capo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Capo » December 19th, 2006, 3:03 pm

perongregory wrote:
Capo wrote:The original North African people (speaking for Morocco as I lived there when I was younger) were berber which could be compared to the indians here, dark-skinned, had their own religion and culture. When the arabs (paler skinned) conquered and islamized the region, with time both people mixed and most people nowadays can't really tell if they're berber or arab since they've mixed so much. Add to that black africans which were once slaves and mixes with them too although not as much as the berber and arabs
What's the purpose of this info right here, and what historical context is it even in?
It is commonly believed that Gnawa of Morocco were originally black slaves and who over time had become free under various historical circumstances.
http://www.afropop.org/multi/feature/ID ... %20Morocco

In North Africa, the main slave markets were in Morocco, Algiers, Tripoli and Cairo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

The purpose of putting black african slaves up in the ethnical makeup of the Maghreb is HISTORY idiot and the mixes of today in the people over there, just look it up. Stop getting on people's backs just when the word 'black slaves' is written blackie. It's HISTORY and it resumes into saying black slavery (just as much as WHITE people slavery, slavs, etc in islamic culture) is part of the real History. That's what it is. Why?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 19th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Capo wrote:
perongregory wrote:
It is commonly believed that Gnawa of Morocco were originally black slaves and who over time had become free under various historical circumstances.
http://www.afropop.org/multi/feature/ID ... %20Morocco

In North Africa, the main slave markets were in Morocco, Algiers, Tripoli and Cairo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

The purpose of putting black african slaves up in the ethnical makeup of the Maghreb is HISTORY idiot and the mixes of today in the people over there, just look it up. Stop getting on people's backs just when the word 'black slaves' is written blackie. It's HISTORY and it resumes into saying black slavery (just as much as WHITE people slavery, slavs, etc in islamic culture) is part of the real History. That's what it is. Why?
Haha, gettin butthurt over a legit question, keep on talking that BS and douchin yoself, silly broad.

Capo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Capo » December 19th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Butthurt? Hahahahaha :lol: No, I'm only clarifying what I MEANT before you try twisting up anything more I say. See what I'm saying now? I wrote that word EXPLICITELY to see you show your true 'colorS' over how quickly you react to any skin color subjects. I'm not that low of a person to only insult a person on something a person didn't even have any decision upon such as skin color (you were born with what you have without getting asked, who would I be insulting really?). But thanks for proving what I thought gets to you the most in anything I might be saying. As if the real information interests you in any way unless it's of the 'selective' type..

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 19th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Capo wrote:Butthurt? Hahahahaha :lol: No, I'm only clarifying what I MEANT before you try twisting up anything more I say. See what I'm saying now? I wrote that word EXPLICITELY to see you show your true 'colorS' over how quickly you react to any skin color subjects. I'm not that low of a person to only insult a person on something a person didn't even have any decision upon such as skin color (you were born with what you have without getting asked, who would I be insulting really?). But thanks for proving what I thought gets to you the most in anything I might be saying. As if the real information interests you in any way unless it's of the 'selective' type..
Then why did you do it? HAha, idiot. Wow, you are so smart. Let me call your mom and bitch and then sock her ass in the face, and if she reacts to me calling her a bitch over me sockin her, then I know shes just a dumb ass who only cares about her gender, and gender related issues. That's stupid right? It don't matter stupid muthafucka, I insulted her in both ways, and it's not her fault if she chooses one to concentrate on.

You are a little butthurt bitch, just admit it. If you weren't you would've answered my question without emotions. Now, I said what is the purpose of adding the clause of info that the blacks were slaves? Then I further qualified that question by asking what particular historical context were your referring to. You could of said, oh, it was important to mention they were slaves, cause it's believed that they were introduced into the Berber racial mix in this manner. Did I recieve an intelligent answer? No, I got some bitch gettin butt hurt over some white guilt shit. Callin me an idiot, and blackie, showin your true colors. Haha, pretty resourceful with your attempted flip of the situation though.

SniperSVD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SniperSVD » December 19th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Sentenza wrote:Pics of Berber:

for those in the jesus is black white what ever convo,,, this is what he probly actually looked like
tan as fuch with no lotion to keep from burning.

Capo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Capo » December 19th, 2006, 3:59 pm

perongregory wrote:
Capo wrote:Butthurt? Hahahahaha :lol: No, I'm only clarifying what I MEANT before you try twisting up anything more I say. See what I'm saying now? I wrote that word EXPLICITELY to see you show your true 'colorS' over how quickly you react to any skin color subjects. I'm not that low of a person to only insult a person on something a person didn't even have any decision upon such as skin color (you were born with what you have without getting asked, who would I be insulting really?). But thanks for proving what I thought gets to you the most in anything I might be saying. As if the real information interests you in any way unless it's of the 'selective' type..
Then why did you do it? HAha, idiot. Wow, you are so smart. Let me call your mom and bitch and then sock her ass in the face, and if she reacts to me calling her a bitch over me sockin her, then I know shes just a dumb ass who only cares about her gender, and gender related issues. That's stupid right? It don't matter stupid muthafucka, I insulted her in both ways, and it's not her fault if she chooses one to concentrate on.

You are a little butthurt bitch, just admit it. If you weren't you would've answered my question without emotions. Now, I said what is the purpose of adding the clause of info that the blacks were slaves? Then I further qualified that question by asking what particular historical context were your referring to. You could of said, oh, it was important to mention they were slaves, cause it's believed that they were introduced into the Berber racial mix in this manner. Did I recieve an intelligent answer? No, I got some bitch gettin butt hurt over some white guilt shit. Callin me an idiot, and blackie, showin your true colors. Haha, pretty resourceful with your attempted flip of the situation though.
Then why did I do it? :) ^^^^^^^^^^ FOR THIS! It just keeps on spilling out. Ok let me skip 6 phrase of butthurtedness and see what else you have to say in the 2nd paragraph.. Same old stuff. The purpose of the info was simple : Are they white? or brown or black? and WHY. Isn't it obvious enough?

Calling you an idiot and then proving it by continuing on this stupid WORTHLESS twist of the subject into something about skin color (for you though, a racist, it's become a racist subject, only natural), yeah, it does my true colors I guess. Keep on saying whatever you want, it's just slipping off me like I don't give a fuck. See for yourself how much I love wasting my time trying to 'claim' races just like you do.

And yeah, Snipersvd, that's somehow how I freely imagined him and tried saying it in that thread about Jesus, even if the thing is that whatever he looked like has as much 'importance' as this :

WHEN THE SAGE POINTS AT THE MOON, ALL THAT THE IDIOT SEES IS THE FINGER. And perongregory goes even further as to waste so much time on the finger's skin color.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 19th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Capo wrote:
perongregory wrote:

Then why did I do it? :) ^^^^^^^^^^ FOR THIS! It just keeps on spilling out. Ok let me skip 6 phrase of butthurtedness and see what else you have to say in the 2nd paragraph.. Same old stuff. The purpose of the info was simple : Are they white? or brown or black? and WHY. Isn't it obvious enough?

Calling you an idiot and then proving it by continuing on this stupid WORTHLESS twist of the subject into something about skin color (for you though, a racist, it's become a racist subject, only natural), yeah, it does my true colors I guess. Keep on saying whatever you want, it's just slipping off me like I don't give a fu--. See for yourself how much I love wasting my time trying to 'claim' races just like you do.

And yeah, Snipersvd, that's somehow how I freely imagined him and tried saying it in that thread about Jesus, even if the thing is that whatever he looked like has as much 'importance' as this :

WHEN THE SAGE POINTS AT THE MOON, ALL THAT THE IDIOT SEES IS THE FINGER. And perongregory goes even further as to waste so much time on the finger's skin color.
Yep, and capo is right there to give him the historical and scientific reason to why the sage's finger is not black and probably something else, while berating perongregory about him fixating on race. Ironic, isn't it?

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » December 19th, 2006, 10:17 pm

-ok ok north africans are mixed,

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » December 20th, 2006, 8:24 am

SniperSVD wrote:

for those in the jesus is black white what ever convo,,, this is what he probly actually looked like
Yep, i think the same.

dziri-officiel

Unread post by dziri-officiel » May 7th, 2008, 6:12 am

The arabs of north africa has more in common with the berbers of northafrica then they have in common with the arabs of the middle east. People should know that. The arabs of north africa (Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia) are originally berbers. That is proven genetecially. Then about the color of our skin. You will find every color but we do not speak in terms of skin, for exemple if you are an algerian you simply say: "I'm algerian" and thats it. Even our arabic dialect are so different from what you hear in the middleast. I would say that what unite us with the middle east (arabic countries) are oiur religion Islam. Other then that there not so many similarities between us, both historically and in culture.

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » May 24th, 2008, 3:20 am

SniperSVD wrote:

thanks for that mr time travel man :roll: Go to the area where Jesus lives now and you will see the full range of colours, dark skin, white skin, tanned etc, so thanks all the same :roll:

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”