Oprah Winfrey comments on inner city kids upsets some

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
User avatar
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 3127
Joined: May 31st, 2004, 10:36 am
Country: Hong Kong, China
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Oprah Winfrey comments on inner city kids upsets some

Unread post by 'X' » January 1st, 2007, 11:35 pm

Oprah Winfrey is firing back at critics of her decision to build a $40 million school complex in South Africa - saying she didn’t build it in the U.S. because inner-city kids here don’t appreciate the value of a free education.

“I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn’t there,” the TV talk-show maven says in the current issue of Newsweek.

“If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers :shock: . In South Africa, they don’t ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school.” :shock:

The tough talk comes as the famously philanthropic Winfrey unveils her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa - a sprawling, 28-building complex for impoverished teens that features a yoga studio and beauty salon, among other luxuries.

The 22-acre complex has taken more than five years to build and has raised eyebrows in the U.S. and abroad, she said.

“I understand that many …feel that I’m going overboard, and that’s fine,” Winfrey said. “This is what I want to do. I wanted to take girls with that ‘it’ quality and give them an opportunity to make a difference in the world.”

Winfrey handpicked the 152 girls who will attend out of an application pool of more than 3,500. Winfrey has also supplied millions of dollars to educate needy children in the U.S. through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2900
Joined: July 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Location: Africa
Contact:

Unread post by Mcminister » January 1st, 2007, 11:57 pm

its true man, shit go to africa u'll c,
teens here there is evvery thing rite in front of us but we jst fukked up like a bunch of spoiled mothafucka's,

kids here don look at the bright side of things,

talk to olda africans thats wat they say....ur mama got shot, well atleast ur still breathing, healthy and still have a chance to make a difference
an african wud go to schoo
an american wud think that old man crazy

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5404
Joined: September 21st, 2005, 6:47 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, New York

Unread post by A Ghost » January 2nd, 2007, 12:04 am

Mcminister wrote:its true man, shit go to africa u'll c,
teens here there is evvery thing rite in front of us but we jst #%@& up like a bunch of spoiled mothafucka's,

kids here don look at the bright side of things,

talk to olda africans thats wat they say....ur mama got shot, well atleast ur still breathing, healthy and still have a chance to make a difference
an african wud go to schoo
an american wud think that old man crazy
good post......

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 2nd, 2007, 12:30 am

You can't help it if there are those who don't want to learn. I believe she made a good decision and made a great point. There is plenty of help in the hood, but many aren't willing to try or for whatever reason but, the ones who do try just have to try harder. It can't be more difficult than how it is in Africa.

frozen fire
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 615
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 4:44 am

Unread post by frozen fire » January 2nd, 2007, 1:21 am

^^^ true

MiChuhSuh

Re: Oprah Winfrey comments on inner city kids upsets some

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 4th, 2007, 10:55 pm

'X' wrote:“If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers :shock: . In South Africa, they don’t ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school.” :shock:
so true

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Unread post by perongregory » January 5th, 2007, 1:12 am

thats true but we have to get to teh base of why kids here wanna fuck off, and other kids in the world wanna do something. And our public school systems are still really fucked up, we gotta fix that. A public school kid sees time in class for some "BS" as an oppurtunity cost, or that he can be out makin money, something real and tangible, to him, than sittin in some classroom. Thats a fucked up way of thinkin in this country...it shouldn't be like that.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2900
Joined: July 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Location: Africa
Contact:

Unread post by Mcminister » January 5th, 2007, 3:53 am

i dono where we go wrong to be honest, i think its a slow proccess u cant notice

User avatar
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 3127
Joined: May 31st, 2004, 10:36 am
Country: Hong Kong, China
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » January 8th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Interesting response about Oprah's school...

by Akl

"In a society that's groomed to be consumers what would you expect? The question is: what is Oprah Winfrey doing to curtail that mentality in "inner-city schools"?...given that she's so "frustrated" about it.

Here's a clue Oprah. Support those people/organizations who fight the rampant consumer slave culture mentality in the "inner-city".

Funny, but last time I checked those grown assed white broads whooped and hollered when you were giving away material shit on your show Oprah. Did you get frustrated with them?

Yeah, the youth in the inner city need work. They are a WORK IN PROGRESS. You [Oprah] drops by a few times and get "frustrated" because their priorities are out of whack - which is peculiar because the whole fuggin country's priorities are out of whack.

Children learn through perception.

The question is: What are they perceiving about our society Oprah?

Also Oprah, don't the boys of South Africa need a school too? What?...a second check woulda bounced?"



And in response to Oprah being a "Black leader" as one person called her...

by Akl

"Oprah is not a "black leader". Oprah wants to be a leader of women. One of the best examples of a Black leader on this planet is Minister Louis Farrakhan. Min. Farrakhan and Oprah Winfrey have different backgrounds of service, different agendas, and different motivations. A Black leader is not one who has a "good job", or merely a successful business owner. A Black leader is one who's actions, thoughts, prayers, talents, work, and behavior all push towards the liberation of Black folks here and worldwide; and they demonstrate an effective solution to whatever contemporary impediment [s] Black folks' face through word and deed. Oprah is gender focused. As digitalgriot said, she's estrogen driven. I've never known [historically] a Black leader to be primarily concerned with one gender. Oprah has chosen the women's movement over the Black liberation movement. Sure that's her prerogative, but lets call it what it is. Her image/lifestyle appeals to a lot of Black women who are status oriented and struggle with the same loyalty issues - especially since Black women [and women in general] are experiencing greater career success than say 30 years ago."

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2900
Joined: July 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Location: Africa
Contact:

Unread post by Mcminister » January 8th, 2007, 8:54 pm

mandela is/should be the black leader of the planet

i agree with u X , i think even thuogh oprah has a point bout inner city kids in america's mentality she has to give'em a chance..and just coz some of'em are messed up don mean all of'em will ask for an ipod i think she let down a lil ghetto queen with dreams to be somethin bigger

User avatar
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 3127
Joined: May 31st, 2004, 10:36 am
Country: Hong Kong, China
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » January 8th, 2007, 10:19 pm

Mcminister wrote: i think she let down a lil ghetto queen with dreams to be somethin bigger

I feel you....

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 713
Joined: November 16th, 2005, 6:49 am
Location: "It is the racist who creates the inferior." fanon.

Unread post by black » January 9th, 2007, 2:40 am

'X' wrote:Interesting response about Oprah's school...

by Akl

"In a society that's groomed to be consumers what would you expect? The question is: what is Oprah Winfrey doing to curtail that mentality in "inner-city schools"?...given that she's so "frustrated" about it.

Here's a clue Oprah. Support those people/organizations who fight the rampant consumer slave culture mentality in the "inner-city".

Funny, but last time I checked those grown assed white broads whooped and hollered when you were giving away material shit on your show Oprah. Did you get frustrated with them?

Yeah, the youth in the inner city need work. They are a WORK IN PROGRESS. You [Oprah] drops by a few times and get "frustrated" because their priorities are out of whack - which is peculiar because the whole fuggin country's priorities are out of whack.

Children learn through perception.

The question is: What are they perceiving about our society Oprah?

Also Oprah, don't the boys of South Africa need a school too? What?...a second check woulda bounced?"



And in response to Oprah being a "Black leader" as one person called her...

by Akl

"Oprah is not a "black leader". Oprah wants to be a leader of women. One of the best examples of a Black leader on this planet is Minister Louis Farrakhan. Min. Farrakhan and Oprah Winfrey have different backgrounds of service, different agendas, and different motivations. A Black leader is not one who has a "good job", or merely a successful business owner. A Black leader is one who's actions, thoughts, prayers, talents, work, and behavior all push towards the liberation of Black folks here and worldwide; and they demonstrate an effective solution to whatever contemporary impediment [s] Black folks' face through word and deed. Oprah is gender focused. As digitalgriot said, she's estrogen driven. I've never known [historically] a Black leader to be primarily concerned with one gender. Oprah has chosen the women's movement over the Black liberation movement. Sure that's her prerogative, but lets call it what it is. Her image/lifestyle appeals to a lot of Black women who are status oriented and struggle with the same loyalty issues - especially since Black women [and women in general] are experiencing greater career success than say 30 years ago."
real shit..

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 713
Joined: November 16th, 2005, 6:49 am
Location: "It is the racist who creates the inferior." fanon.

Unread post by black » January 9th, 2007, 2:50 am

'X' wrote:A Black leader is one who's actions, thoughts, prayers, talents, work, and behavior all push towards the liberation of Black folks here and worldwide; and they demonstrate an effective solution to whatever contemporary impediment [s] Black folks' face through word and deed.
And people wonder why i laugh at some of these so called black leaders. Ain't no half steppin bruh and i ain't with that playin both sides of the fence either. either you with us or against us.

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 613
Joined: March 10th, 2005, 10:44 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » January 11th, 2007, 2:22 pm

rich educated black woman but very stupid opinionated person her mouth runs like a gooses ass same with bill oreily i like the guy but i cant believe he sad rap isnt music its what music this is the music of this time and centuries youth generation

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5404
Joined: September 21st, 2005, 6:47 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, New York

Unread post by A Ghost » January 11th, 2007, 7:29 pm

I think that media in America pumps this image that people need to have expensive things or look a certain way to be a good person, or a person of power and thats what these kids see so naturally they are gonna want the Ipods and stuff. Its not out of greed its because these kids are brainwashed.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 14th, 2007, 12:34 am

perongregory wrote:thats true but we have to get to teh base of why kids here wanna fu-- off, and other kids in the world wanna do something. And our public school systems are still really #%@& up, we gotta fix that. A public school kid sees time in class for some "BS" as an oppurtunity cost, or that he can be out makin money, something real and tangible, to him, than sittin in some classroom. Thats a #%@& up way of thinkin in this country...it shouldn't be like that.
It's not just that.

The kids in South Africa and other countries are hungry.
The kids in the ""inner city"" are hungry... in a different way.

The kids in South Africa and other countries have REAL needs and REAL hunger.
Most (not all but most) kids in the ""inner city"" at least have most basic necessities, and their hunger is more about the materialistic things that most of the world considers luxuries and yet somehow Americans consider them to be basic.

Which goes into what A Ghost is saying about the media... watch 106 and Park and I guarantee at least half the videos celebrate excessive materialism either directly or indirectly. Watch any mass media channel (MTV, BET, etc) for 15 minutes and I guarantee you will be asked to spend money on something totally idiotic and superficial.
'X' wrote:Funny, but last time I checked those grown assed white broads whooped and hollered when you were giving away material shit on your show Oprah. Did you get frustrated with them?
OOUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :twisted:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5404
Joined: September 21st, 2005, 6:47 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, New York

Unread post by A Ghost » January 14th, 2007, 12:45 am

lol @ the white broads :lol:

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » January 14th, 2007, 10:44 am

im glad she gave the money to africans. africa is the poorest place on the planet and nobody seems to care. mass genocide, rebels controllment, extreme poverty. those people definatly need it a lot more. if she would have given it to the US, it probably just would have built some school kids wouldn't go to and have numerous gangs in it. money well donated in my opinion.

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1417
Joined: August 9th, 2006, 7:52 pm
Location: BOOGIE DOWN BRONX

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » January 14th, 2007, 12:34 pm

honestly, although oprah has accomplished and has done many good things, she could suck my dick with that dumbass comment....n she could front like she likes hip hop all she want, bitch is an oreo, only conserned about a bunch of white issues (not 2 be racist)...yea she's donated money 2 black funds n shit like that, but i think its just a front....she disrespected my man ludacris 2, if im not mistaken, the homey was supposed 2 be discusin his role in some movie(forgot) and the bitch flipped the script n started poppin her gums about his music and why he says them things he says about women, and that wasnt even the topic that was 2 be disscused....regardless of which, oprah aint done shit for me or the hood, so oprah could stay her ass in hollywood, sippin on half ass martinis....

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1417
Joined: August 9th, 2006, 7:52 pm
Location: BOOGIE DOWN BRONX

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » January 14th, 2007, 12:35 pm

and whoever thinks otherwise, go ahead n speak ur mind, but respect my opinion...

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » January 14th, 2007, 2:21 pm

bxxmilitia, you want people to respect your opinion but dont respect oprahs. the lady can give all her fucking money to a save the wildlife fund for all i care. i just thought it was good she gave some money to the poorest and most screwed up places in the world.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2900
Joined: July 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Location: Africa
Contact:

Unread post by Mcminister » January 14th, 2007, 8:50 pm

oprah is a fuckin liar she ain doin it fo no poverty she doin it fo the females....all female schoo WTF is that for every female in africa is taught how to be a house wife and tend to they men as if the man is a god anywayz....why doesnt she want to start a schoo where boyz of south africa are allowed to go to ...lets see her ass go to some african schoo with SA boyz...SA has 30,000 murders per year those are the numbrs of body found...all the young boyz are on some crazy shit n they wudnt hesitate on rappin on oprahs ass

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Unread post by perongregory » January 15th, 2007, 6:54 pm

BxxMILITIA wrote:honestly, although oprah has accomplished and has done many good things, she could suck my dick with that dumbass comment....n she could front like she likes hip hop all she want, bitch is an oreo, only conserned about a bunch of white issues (not 2 be racist)...yea she's donated money 2 black funds n shit like that, but i think its just a front....she disrespected my man ludacris 2, if im not mistaken, the homey was supposed 2 be discusin his role in some movie(forgot) and the bitch flipped the script n started poppin her gums about his music and why he says them things he says about women, and that wasnt even the topic that was 2 be disscused....regardless of which, oprah aint done shit for me or the hood, so oprah could stay her ass in hollywood, sippin on half ass martinis....
haha, forreal. People be talkin like they're black and accomplished somethign, they're rich, blah, blah, blah....What the fuck does that matter if they aint really givin back to the community and don't really care. With all the money she got and shit. Tryin to exclude boys and shit, why is it hard for her to make a school for boys and girls, or make 2 schools one in America and one in Africa?

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5533
Joined: December 7th, 2003, 2:17 pm
Location: s/s riverside
Contact:

Unread post by BlaKK » January 15th, 2007, 7:09 pm

really tho, bottom line is the money Oprah spent building that school, could have fed over a million kids in Africa for a month.

100
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 929
Joined: August 3rd, 2004, 11:38 pm

Unread post by 100 » January 16th, 2007, 2:28 pm

BlaKK wrote:really tho, bottom line is the money Oprah spent building that school, could have fed over a million kids in Africa for a month.
A MOnth? that school is gonna last more than a month

frozen fire
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 615
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 4:44 am

Unread post by frozen fire » January 18th, 2007, 12:19 pm

40 MILLION DOLLARS FOR ONE SKOOL!! wow, she could have built 40 good skools for boys and girls in africa.....but its her choice, her money.
I heard someone say something about her not being fully for the black community..you are right, but imagine if she was, do you think all of those middle aged white ladies would show up on the show, clappin their hands and screaming. Do you think her show would be as succesful?, i dont know?
in the end she is only an entertainer lookin for audience and money, you cant blame her, she is only human.

frozen fire
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 615
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 4:44 am

Unread post by frozen fire » January 18th, 2007, 12:21 pm

BlaKK wrote:really tho, bottom line is the money Oprah spent building that school, could have fed over a million kids in Africa for a month.
what she spends in one day, can feed a whole family for a month in africa.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 18th, 2007, 1:00 pm

People who hate on her for donating her money in that way are dum asses. Its' her money, she do what she wants. The people who critisize her should be doing what they want Oprah to do haha. Shiet she spent so much money for the females in Africa because she wants them to have a good life. It's more than just a school, its a place for them girls to hang out with no stress.

frozen fire
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 615
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 4:44 am

Unread post by frozen fire » January 18th, 2007, 1:08 pm

It's more than just a school, its a place for them girls to hang out with no stress.
You need 40 million dollers to do that?? my bad, im not hating on her, i respect her choice, im just thinking out loud.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 18th, 2007, 1:31 pm

They have special services there. They can do girl things and all that. Such as a spa, salon and more. O yea and Oprah hand picked these girls herself.

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1183
Joined: September 13th, 2006, 5:05 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Unread post by johnnny » January 18th, 2007, 1:35 pm

NikexCortez wrote:They have special services there. They can do girl things and all that. Such as a spa, salon and more. O yea and Oprah hand picked these girls herself.
there being opraha-ducated

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2900
Joined: July 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Location: Africa
Contact:

Unread post by Mcminister » January 18th, 2007, 5:53 pm

damn jst today my aunt had hre african peeps over they was talkin n i overheard'em talk bout oprah gettin mad as hell.....some dude was getin homicidal hatin on oprah sayin she is jst a dumb rich Bi*tch
ima jot down someshit they was sayin

oprah sayed that its for poor kids..and there is white kids and indian kids in that school....there isnt a single white ghetto kid in the whole of south africa or even an indian one they are the wealthy people there (dude swore there isnt even 1 poor white or indian kid)

oprah paid 40 mill for a 280 student schoo..in africa to make a schoo is cheap u can make bout 5 classes for 4000$..there are some african kids that graduated from schools worth 20,000 dollars n now make triple that....poor african kids from the slums dont need all that 40mil dollar schoo ....my aunt sayed the girls there dont feel confort in there coz its too much..anywayz my point here was oprah cud have used that money to build over 10,000 schools for a 1000 african kids who need schools...dats 10,000,000 african kids getin an education they proly wont get


it is nearly imposible to qualify for her schoo u have to be a Virgin...how buot the rest :?
well dey had alot of points but i forgot

they sayed oprah shud neva go back there they don need her help

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”