ROOTS OF LATINO/BLACK ANGER

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

ROOTS OF LATINO/BLACK ANGER

Unread post by 'X' » January 8th, 2007, 7:11 pm

Roots of Latino/black anger
Longtime prejudices, not economic rivalry, fuel tensions.

By Tanya K. Hernandez

THE ACRIMONIOUS relationship between Latinos and African Americans in Los Angeles is growing hard to ignore. Although last weekend's black-versus-Latino race riot at Chino state prison is unfortunately not an aberration, the Dec. 15 murder in the Harbor Gateway neighborhood of Cheryl Green, a 14-year-old African American, allegedly by members of a Latino gang, was shocking.

Yet there was nothing really new about it. Rather, the murder was a manifestation of an increasingly common trend: Latino ethnic cleansing of African Americans from multiracial neighborhoods. Just last August, federal prosecutors convicted four Latino gang members of engaging in a six-year conspiracy to assault and murder African Americans in Highland Park. During the trial, prosecutors demonstrated that African American residents (with no gang ties at all) were being terrorized in an effort to force them out of a neighborhood now perceived as Latino.

For example, one African American resident was murdered by Latino gang members as he looked for a parking space near his Highland Park home. In another case, a woman was knocked off her bicycle and her husband was threatened with a box cutter by one of the defendants, who said, "You niggers have been here long enough."

At first blush, it may be mystifying why such animosity exists between two ethnic groups that share so many of the same socioeconomic deprivations. Over the years, the hostility has been explained as a natural reaction to competition for blue-collar jobs in a tight labor market, or as the result of turf battles and cultural disputes in changing neighborhoods. Others have suggested that perhaps Latinos have simply been adept at learning the U.S. lesson of anti-black racism, or that perhaps black Americans are resentful at having the benefits of the civil rights movement extended to Latinos. :roll:

Although there may be a degree of truth to some or all of these explanations, they are insufficient to explain the extremity of the ethnic violence.

Over the years, there's also been a tendency on the part of observers to blame the conflict more on African Americans (who are often portrayed as the aggressors) than on Latinos. But although it's certainly true that there's plenty of blame to go around, it's important not to ignore the effect of Latino culture and history in fueling the rift.

The fact is that racism — and anti-black racism in particular — is a pervasive and historically entrenched reality of life in Latin America and the Caribbean. More than 90% of the approximately 10 million enslaved Africans brought to the Americas were taken to Latin America and the Caribbean (by the French, Spanish and British, primarily), whereas only 4.6% were brought to the United States. By 1793, colonial Mexico had a population of 370,000 Africans (and descendants of Africans) — the largest concentration in all of Spanish America.

The legacy of the slave period in Latin America and the Caribbean is similar to that in the United States: Having lighter skin and European features increases the chances of socioeconomic opportunity, while having darker skin and African features severely limits social mobility.

White supremacy is deeply ingrained in Latin America and continues into the present. In Mexico, for instance, citizens of African descent (who are estimated to make up 1% of the population) report that they regularly experience racial harassment at the hands of local and state police, according to recent studies by Antonieta Gimeno, then of Mount Holyoke College, and Sagrario Cruz-Carretero of the University of Veracruz.

Mexican public discourse reflects the hostility toward blackness; consider such common phrases as "getting black" to denote getting angry, and "a supper of blacks" to describe a riotous gathering of people. Similarly, the word "black" is often used to mean "ugly." It is not surprising that Mexicans who have been surveyed indicate a disinclination to marry darker-skinned partners, as reported in a 2001 study by Bobby Vaughn, an anthropology professor at Notre Dame de Namur University.

Anti-black sentiment also manifests itself in Mexican politics. During the 2001 elections, for instance, Lazaro Cardenas, a candidate for governor of the state of Michoacan, is believed to have lost substantial support among voters for having an Afro Cuban wife. Even though Cardenas had great name recognition (as the grandson of Mexico's most popular president), he only won by 5 percentage points — largely because of the anti-black platform of his opponent, Alfredo Anaya, who said that "there is a great feeling that we want to be governed by our own race, by our own people." --->(I agree on this one)

Given this, it should not be surprising that migrants from Mexico and other areas of Latin America and the Caribbean arrive in the U.S. carrying the baggage of racism. Nor that this facet of Latino culture is in turn transmitted, to some degree, to younger generations along with all other manifestations of the culture.

The sociological concept of "social distance" measures the unease one ethnic or racial group has for interacting with another. Social science studies of Latino racial attitudes often indicate a preference for maintaining social distance from African Americans. And although the social distance level is largest for recent immigrants, more established communities of Latinos in the United States also show a marked social distance from African Americans.

For instance, in University of Houston sociologist Tatcho Mindiola's 2002 survey of 600 Latinos in Houston (two-thirds of whom were Mexican, the remainder Salvadoran and Colombian) and 600 African Americans, the African Americans had substantially more positive views of Latinos than Latinos had of African Americans. Although a slim majority of the U.S.-born Latinos used positive identifiers when describing African Americans, only a minority of the foreign-born Latinos did so. One typical foreign-born Latino respondent stated: "I just don't trust them…. The men, especially, all use drugs, and they all carry guns." :roll:

This same study found that 46% of Latino immigrants who lived in residential neighborhoods with African Americans reported almost no interaction with them.

The social distance of Latinos from African Americans is consistently reflected in Latino responses to survey questions. In a 2000 study of residential segregation, Camille Zubrinsky Charles, a sociology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, found that Latinos were more likely to reject African Americans as neighbors than they were to reject members of other racial groups. In addition, in the 1999-2000 Lilly Survey of American Attitudes and Friendships, Latinos identified African Americans as their least desirable marriage partners, whereas African Americans proved to be more accepting of intermarriage with Latinos.

Ironically, African Americans, who are often depicted as being averse to coalition-building with Latinos, have repeatedly demonstrated in their survey responses that they feel less hostility toward Latinos than Latinos feel toward them.

Although some commentators have attributed the Latino hostility to African Americans to the stress of competition in the job market, a 1996 sociological study of racial group competition suggests otherwise. In a study of 477 Latinos from the 1992 Los Angeles County Social Survey, professors Lawrence Bobo, then of Harvard, and Vincent Hutchings of the University of Michigan found that underlying prejudices and existing animosities contribute to the perception that African Americans pose an economic threat — not the other way around.

It is certainly true that the acrimony between African Americans and Latinos cannot be resolved until both sides address their own unconscious biases about one another. But it would be a mistake to ignore the Latino side of the equation as some observers have done — particularly now, when the recent violence in Los Angeles has involved Latinos targeting peaceful African American citizens.

This conflict cannot be sloughed off as simply another generation of ethnic group competition in the United States (like the familiar rivalries between Irish, Italians and Jews in the early part of the last century). Rather, as the violence grows, the "diasporic" origins of the anti-black sentiment — the entrenched anti-black prejudice among Latinos that exists not just in the United States but across the Americas — will need to be directly confronted.

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » January 8th, 2007, 9:06 pm

'X' wrote: Blacks no longer have to deal with racism anymore
You said that in my thread what are you trying to say cause your not making sense, please elaborate.

thx

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » January 8th, 2007, 10:16 pm

johnnny wrote:
'X' wrote: Blacks no longer have to deal with racism anymore
You said that in my thread what are you trying to say cause your not making sense, please elaborate.

thx
Damn you are serious :shock:.... Homework assignment for you, look up "S-A-R-C-A-S-M"...

Anyway, not trying to derail this thread, it has some insightful info in this article, and some bs too IMO....

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » January 8th, 2007, 10:33 pm

i agree with wut u posted X, good shit...its unfortunate that latinos and african americans feel so negativly about each other, especially latinos....although ive felt hostility towards certain black people before, it was never racial, n its fu*ked up that black people r being treated that way out there in cali and vice versa....if black n brown people stuck together, we would be an unstoppable force, and probably even overthro the white government...we should just live in harmony together, like brothers n sisters and live amongst each other in a peaceful way...unfotrunatly, there will always be prejudice black people as well as latinos, just like any other race...theres good people and bad people everywhere u go...just try 2 pick up the good n leave the bad, my grandpa would always tell me...regardless of which, i just try 2 look after myself, n i kno im not racist, along with all my other homies...as long as i kno shit like that dont apply 2 me or my family, or my homies, then fu*k it, u could only reach so many people, u cant try n wipe everybody's ass, kuzz it dont work that way..anywayz, good post X....

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » January 8th, 2007, 10:38 pm

BxxMILITIA wrote: its fu*ked up that black people r being treated that way out there in cali and vice versa....
It's good you put that "vice versa" in there because there is suffering on both sides...

BxxMILITIA wrote: if black n brown people stuck together, we would be an unstoppable force, and probably even overthro the white government... we should just live in harmony together, like brothers n sisters and live amongst each other in a peaceful way...
Yes siiir, Teeeach!!

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » January 8th, 2007, 11:04 pm

Point is ignorance exist on both sides, and with ignorance fallows arrogance and intolerance, for as long as there is intolerance we will never find any mutual, common grounds.

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » January 9th, 2007, 1:12 am

Good post to me I have seen mexicans more hostile towards blacks or not wanting to be around us havent seen it as much with other latinos

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » January 9th, 2007, 5:29 am

it is a good thread (nope this isnt sarcasm)

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » January 9th, 2007, 5:46 am

[quote="BxxMILITIA"]unfotrunatly, there will always be prejudice black people as well as latinos, just like any other race...theres good people and bad people everywhere u go...just try 2 pick up the good n leave the badquote]

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 9th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Hopefully more will read this article and feel compelled to chime in.. As always, fine work, brother X.

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » January 9th, 2007, 1:59 pm

black n brown people both been thru their shit, but i kno damn well if a black man came at me on some racial tip, i would have no choice but 2 defend myself 2 the furthest extent, n in return, the shit would cause a chain reaction...thats wut it is, its a chain reaction, latinos bust on blacks, black bust on latinos,n u cant blame either side on that part, kuzz both latinos and african americans are proud people, so u kno both sides r gonna retaliate on each other....jus gotta break that chain....n shit goes beyond the streets homeboy, this is an issue that goin on in the penn, and seeing as our people r most likely 2 go 2 prison than any other race, shit is gonna pop off in there as well, n word is gonna hit the streets...shit aint gonna change over night, i assure ya'll, unfortunatly....dont matter tho, i love all, as long as i get the love back....

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 9th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Feel what you spittin', BX.. However, the Black/Brown East Coast can never be paralleled to the Black/Brown West Coast. I'll simplify it, Black
dont always mean Black and Brown dont always mean Brown back East. Far too much ethnic and cultural variance for it to be that simple. So our thing is based more on rivalry and who rockin' the streets. Au contraire,
the West Black=African American and Brown =Mexican/Mexican American. So now ideology comes into play, with no subgroups to act as buffer zones.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 9th, 2007, 5:12 pm

maifeshtruth u talkin buot souther cali rite?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 9th, 2007, 6:42 pm

If muthafucaks was reding history and gettin hip to shit they woulda known this shit. Thats that white supremacy in play from both sides of the border. People thinking they better than someone else cause they are "whiter" cause some Anglo or Spanish said so, and is still pumpin that shit, and it's so prevalent till now its in teh black and brown population. colored people better purify themselves. Good Post X.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 9th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Mcminister wrote:maifeshtruth u talkin buot souther cali rite?
Yessir, good look too..

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » January 9th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Feel what you spittin', BX.. However, the Black/Brown East Coast can never be paralleled to the Black/Brown West Coast. I'll simplify it, Black
dont always mean Black and Brown dont always mean Brown back East. Far too much ethnic and cultural variance for it to be that simple. So our thing is based more on rivalry and who rockin' the streets. Au contraire,
the West Black=African American and Brown =Mexican/Mexican American. So now ideology comes into play, with no subgroups to act as buffer zones.

black n latino rivalry is worldwide, shit waterd down out here, n although it could never be compared 2 black vs brown in LA, shit still jump off between latinos n blacks...not as often as over there tho...oo well, its better off like that anyway, if ima bust somebody head open, i dont really give a fuck if he black white green or, fu*kin, magenta...

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » January 10th, 2007, 6:06 am

BxxMILITIA wrote: if ima bust somebody head open, i dont really give a fu-- if he black white green or, fu*kin, magenta...
lol

johnnny
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by johnnny » January 10th, 2007, 6:46 am

johnnny wrote:
BxxMILITIA wrote: if ima bust somebody head open, i dont really give a fu-- if he black white green or, fu*kin, magenta...
lol
hes a wrecking machine...

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 10th, 2007, 3:07 pm

johnnny wrote:
hahahaha, aiiight..

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » January 10th, 2007, 8:31 pm

BxxMILITIA wrote:
if ima bust somebody head open, i dont really give a fu-- if he black white green or, fu*kin, magenta...
right or wrong tho?

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 10th, 2007, 9:01 pm

"right or wrong tho?"

Our hand gets forced sometimes.. You know what is, mayne..

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 16th, 2007, 3:00 pm

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG

ALOT OF THIS ANIT AFRICAN AMERICANISM COMES FROM MEXICAN IMMIGRANTS A MEXICAN CAT AT ALLHIPHOP.COM EVEN SAID IT

the512messikan
THIS FOR LA RAZA

Location: Posted up on your mummy's back like thumbtack showin her the true meanin of a wetback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaviour100
Yo,512messikan,IMO,some ignorant latinos have this slave mind,as all people(white,black,latino) that leads them to think they're better than blacks.
Do you think that might be a cause of the mexican aggression?(not that blacks ain't doin foul shit,themselves)

It goes both ways, but most of the Mexicans who have a distaste for Blacks being Black arent Chicano/Cholo/Vatos, they're the immigrants. I'll tell you straight up, Blacks are looked down in Mexico like a motherfucker. There's about a million Blacks scattered mostly around the Southern region of Mexico and they're cast off from the rest of the country and get treated like shit when they leave their areas where other Mexicans arent familiar with "Afro-Mexicans". Mexican immigrants have in their minds that Black Americans are drug dealers, violent, killers, etc. and all the way that Blacks are portrayed in the media. They see that and take it to heart. Plus, there's plenty of Blacks who actually do harass Mexican immigrants. Other races do it too, but being that they're often in the same neighborhoods, shit's alot more likely to get confrontational. For the "Ese's" its always been on some gang shit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 16th, 2007, 3:02 pm

YoungSaviour100
Staff Sergeant

Posts: 719 It goes both ways, but most of the Mexicans who have a distaste for Blacks being Black arent Chicano/Cholo/Vatos, they're the immigrants. I'll tell you straight up, Blacks are looked down in Mexico like a motherfucker. There's about a million Blacks scattered mostly around the Southern region of Mexico and they're cast off from the rest of the country and get treated like shit when they leave their areas where other Mexicans arent familiar with "Afro-Mexicans". Mexican immigrants have in their minds that Black Americans are drug dealers, violent, killers, etc. and all the way that Blacks are portrayed in the media. They see that and take it to heart. Plus, there's plenty of Blacks who actually do harass Mexican immigrants. Other races do it too, but being that they're often in the same neighborhoods, shit's alot more likely to get confrontational. For the "Ese's" its always been on some gang shit. Nothing more, nothing less."

Thanks for answering. But I think more chicanos feel hatred towards blacks than you're letting on.

I believe this ignorance to feel inferior or superior is present because of slavery,regardless of the nature of your country.

I think you're implying that due to the horrible treatment blacks get in Mexico,a huge number of the ignorant mexicans are ignorant. But,IMO,that thinking has to be given from parent to child. Yes,the child is exposed to a world that'll prove his parent's thinking wrong,and a chicano will be less likely to be that ignorant,but still...I feel as tho ''chicanos'' have a considerably bigger percentage of ignorance among them.

To me,african americans can be ignorant. That's just how it is. So to balance it out,I think ''chicanos'' are,or can be,just as ignorant as them,if not even more.

That's just how a dude who ain't from LA breaks it down.

Angryblackman86
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Angryblackman86 » February 9th, 2007, 2:16 pm

loll

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”