Knowing one language compared to many

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Knowing one language compared to many

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 19th, 2008, 2:39 pm

What is your stance towards bi-lingualism compared to mono-lingiusm?

Is your country bi-lingual?

Should schools teach other languages in school? is there a point

Should a second language be used only at home? Is knowing a language more of a personal choice then a choice of necessity?

What languages do you know? Has knowing more the one language help you socialize with other cultures.

Can we learn languages to learn more about the immigrants coming into our respective countries?

Should a government spend money into keeping languages such as cree, and ojibwae alive?

Languages i know are:

English fully fluent
Finnish semi fluent
French semi fluent
and am working on polish right now

I have found that knowing some french has helped build good relations with people from quebec and 1st generation africans from the congo and zaire for example.

I have found that knowing finnish has reinforced my identity of who iam..

Are you learning any languages right now?

Should we refuse the rights of other people to speak there languages in public to furthur assimilate them?

What are your opinions?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Re: Knowing one language compared to many

Unread post by Sentenza » April 19th, 2008, 2:57 pm

whiskeyjack wrote:What is your stance towards bi-lingualism compared to mono-lingiusm?
Its always an advantage to know several languages.
whiskeyjack wrote: Is your country bi-lingual?
Technically yes. We have a very small Sorbic minority on the Polish border, but they are kind of dying out. But their schools, street signs newspapers are bilingual.
whiskeyjack wrote: Should schools teach other languages in school? is there a point

Definitely. It expands your horizon and increases your chances to get jobs. You can make A LOT of money knowing languages. The more, the better.
whiskeyjack wrote: Should a second language be used only at home? Is knowing a language more of a personal choice then a choice of necessity?


Immigrants always should learn the countries language in the first place, but also be able to use theirs if they want to.
whiskeyjack wrote: What languages do you know? Has knowing more the one language help you socialize with other cultures.


German, English, half assed french, poor Latin (even though i had it 5 years in school, but that shit is annoying :lol: ) i am studying Arabic, and i had 2 years of Swahili classes some time ago.
And yes, it definitely did help to socialize. Only being able to say "Hi how are you" in Arabic has already opened me many doors in Egypt. People love when you try to speak in their language. I get into interesting conversations in arabic stores here all the time because of that.
whiskeyjack wrote: Can we learn languages to learn more about the immigrants coming into our respective countries?


Why not. If you feel like doing that, it definitely helps.
whiskeyjack wrote: Should a government spend money into keeping languages such as cree, and ojibwae alive?

Yes. But only for acadamic purposes (i.e. studying ancient cultures). If a language dies out, there is no need to keep it alive in everyday life.
whiskeyjack wrote: Languages i know are:

English fully fluent
Finnish semi fluent
French semi fluent
and am working on polish right now


Polish is very hard from what i have heard and Finnish sounds funny to me, cause it sounds like nothing i have ever heard (no pun intended)
whiskeyjack wrote: I have found that knowing some french has helped build good relations with people from quebec and 1st generation africans from the congo and zaire for example.


Definitely, like i said above, people will help you out and embrace you when they see you are trying.

whiskeyjack wrote: Should we refuse the rights of other people to speak there languages in public to furthur assimilate them?
In certain cases yes. Like in official places only the native language should be allowed, also in schools.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 19th, 2008, 3:17 pm

I guess you would be a perfect example as someone who bridged the gap and learned another the language lol

How often do u find people trying to learn german?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » April 19th, 2008, 3:26 pm

whiskeyjack wrote:
How often do u find people trying to learn german?
Rarely. They fail with all the rrrrrrrrr's and all those other sounds that sound like you got something stuck in your throat. :lol:
Arabic is wayyyy worse though. My teacher told me, that the first 10 years of Arabic are the worst, then it gets better.
In Egypt they said "its Gods language, its got to be difficult". :lol:

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 557
Joined: April 5th, 2007, 11:19 am

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 19th, 2008, 6:39 pm

In my country, they teach Macedonian and English, and have thaught Latin before, as well as Croatian, Serbian, Bulgarian etc. In some schools they even teach Albanian because NATO says so if we don't want to get bombed.

Here in Canada, they teach you only English and French as mandatory, while you have the options to learn Spanish in high school and other languages as well...

I speak Macedonian and English fluently, and am semi-fluent in Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Bosnian etc. and understand alot of Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, etc.

My dad knows more though. He can speak French fluently as well as all those including speaking Russian fluently, he knows other European languages well too, and knows alot of words in alot of different languages.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 19th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Yea its like a tool its good to know and have

Ive been thinking of learnin the language "twe" because there is alot of ghanan's in canada that speak it and it is supposed to be mutual intellagable with the other languages in its family tree. I kinda already understand some of it by instinct and when some english nouns are mixed in with it i kinda comprehend it

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » April 20th, 2008, 5:12 am

whiskeyjack wrote: I kinda already understand some of it by instinct and when some english nouns are mixed in with it i kinda comprehend it
Yea they adapted a lot of English words into those west african languages.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » April 20th, 2008, 5:43 am

flame_guards_member1 wrote:
I speak Macedonian and English fluently, and am semi-fluent in Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Bosnian etc. and understand alot of Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, etc.
Those languages have a lot in common right? Like a lot of the same words etc.?

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 20th, 2008, 7:51 am

also too i wouldnt mind learn ojibwae

then that way i can translate all those ojibwae named streets that are off the highway.... especially in killarney

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 557
Joined: April 5th, 2007, 11:19 am

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 20th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Sentenza wrote:
flame_guards_member1 wrote:
I speak Macedonian and English fluently, and am semi-fluent in Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Bosnian etc. and understand alot of Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, etc.
Those languages have a lot in common right? Like a lot of the same words etc.?
Yes, they do, so it's easy to learn them. Living in a foreign country is easier to learn the words than learning it by a teacher because you gain experiance from different people, even though teaching still helps alot.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2284
Joined: March 7th, 2008, 5:47 pm
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 20th, 2008, 3:51 pm

whiskeyjack wrote:also too i wouldnt mind learn ojibwae

then that way i can translate all those ojibwae named streets that are off the highway.... especially in killarney
I took an Ojibwe class last year, I found it really easy, though, I have prior experience in Algonqiounian languages, so that might have been a factor.

http://www.nativetech.org/shinob/ojibwelanguage.html

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 557
Joined: April 5th, 2007, 11:19 am

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 20th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Why would you guys take a language class for a Native American language that's only limited to hundreds, if not thousands of people?

To be really useful, you need to be fluent in the top 20 languages.

But then again, if you also learn a South Slavic language fluently, be it Macedonian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Bosnian etc. You will find it easier to learn other Slavic languages, be it Russian, Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Slovenian, Slovakian, etc.

From experiance, it will also be easier for you to pernounce words orally in any language that isn't a tounge twister such as English etc. since in Macedonian, there is no spelling, literally. Same goes for Serbian. As Vuk Caradic said, say it how you read it and write it how you say it. I know that phrase means nothing to native English speakers which learn how to spell, thus have trouble with other languages such as mine where there is no spelling.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 21st, 2008, 6:24 am

say it how you read it and write it how you say it
same with finnish, every letter is pronounced

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2284
Joined: March 7th, 2008, 5:47 pm
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 22nd, 2008, 5:41 pm

flame_guards_member1 wrote:Why would you guys take a language class for a Native American language that's only limited to hundreds, if not thousands of people?
Because it's the only language class my school offers besides the mandatory French, Spanish(which I know already)..so it really wasn't a choice of which language..

Secondly, as he's in Northern Ontarion, unlike me, and you I believe?, he probably deals with Ojibwe's/Algonquion language speakers every day, as well as the street signs as he pointed out.

Plus, as I'm part Ojibwe myself, I feel it's my duty to help keep the language going, as it's dying out.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 557
Joined: April 5th, 2007, 11:19 am

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 22nd, 2008, 9:09 pm

Azure9920 wrote:
flame_guards_member1 wrote:Why would you guys take a language class for a Native American language that's only limited to hundreds, if not thousands of people?
Because it's the only language class my school offers besides the mandatory French, Spanish(which I know already)..so it really wasn't a choice of which language..

Secondly, as he's in Northern Ontarion, unlike me, and you I believe?, he probably deals with Ojibwe's/Algonquion language speakers every day, as well as the street signs as he pointed out.

Plus, as I'm part Ojibwe myself, I feel it's my duty to help keep the language going, as it's dying out.
I see. I live in Toronto, btw. :D

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 23rd, 2008, 11:55 am

Azure9920 wrote:
flame_guards_member1 wrote:Why would you guys take a language class for a Native American language that's only limited to hundreds, if not thousands of people?
Because it's the only language class my school offers besides the mandatory French, Spanish(which I know already)..so it really wasn't a choice of which language..

Secondly, as he's in Northern Ontarion, unlike me, and you I believe?, he probably deals with Ojibwe's/Algonquion language speakers every day, as well as the street signs as he pointed out.

Plus, as I'm part Ojibwe myself, I feel it's my duty to help keep the language going, as it's dying out.
Yes sir Northern Ontario born and raised

Speaking of which i just went smelt fishing and like i said every 2nd back road is in ojibwae

Azure is the word "Magnetawan" ojibwe? If so what does it translate into?

Because i bet that most of those roads if you knew there names in english would tell you want kind of flora and fauna are in the area.

And yes i do have experience with folks speaking ojibwae, and i also have experience with kaska

Ojibwae was once the trade language of the great lakes

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2284
Joined: March 7th, 2008, 5:47 pm
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 23rd, 2008, 3:04 pm

whiskeyjack wrote:
Azure9920 wrote:
flame_guards_member1 wrote:Why would you guys take a language class for a Native American language that's only limited to hundreds, if not thousands of people?
Because it's the only language class my school offers besides the mandatory French, Spanish(which I know already)..so it really wasn't a choice of which language..

Secondly, as he's in Northern Ontarion, unlike me, and you I believe?, he probably deals with Ojibwe's/Algonquion language speakers every day, as well as the street signs as he pointed out.

Plus, as I'm part Ojibwe myself, I feel it's my duty to help keep the language going, as it's dying out.
Yes sir Northern Ontario born and raised

Speaking of which i just went smelt fishing and like i said every 2nd back road is in ojibwae

Azure is the word "Magnetawan" ojibwe? If so what does it translate into?

Because i bet that most of those roads if you knew there names in english would tell you want kind of flora and fauna are in the area.

And yes i do have experience with folks speaking ojibwae, and i also have experience with kaska

Ojibwae was once the trade language of the great lakes
Magnetawan meaning "long open channel" in the Ojibwa language

Ahh smelt fishing :D, I've been going out the past 2 years...

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 613
Joined: March 10th, 2005, 10:44 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 29th, 2008, 10:52 pm

its ok to learn someone elses language in school but its another thing when people try and force there language on people who want nothing to do with it like mexicans and other latinos or whatever they want to be called do to the american native english speakers you can gone some where with that shit

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 30th, 2008, 5:54 am

ts ok to learn someone elses language in school but its another thing when people try and force there language on people who want nothing to do with it like mexicans and other latinos or whatever they want to be called do to the american native english speakers you can gone some where with that shit
Where not targetting or singling out other ethnic groups here, thats for another thread. Please no finger pointing here..


Please stay on topic i dont want my thread locked

what languages do you speak, and how and why did you learn them?

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 613
Joined: March 10th, 2005, 10:44 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 30th, 2008, 11:27 am

i speak japanese because i plan on moving to japan one day and i speak a little bit of spanish because i worked around a ton of mexicans

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 30th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Get rid of all languages and use a number based system to communicate. It works for computers! Seriously, numbers are about the only thing world wide that we all have in common. You don't need verbs or nouns or adjectives to get your point across, just numbers.

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 613
Joined: March 10th, 2005, 10:44 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » May 1st, 2008, 12:05 am

sounds crazy but that shit just might work

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 1st, 2008, 8:49 am

oXJmAuPs2005Xo wrote:sounds crazy but that shit just might work
Of course it will work. When was the last time you saw a computer beat up a calculator? Or start a war against a cash register? It doesn't happen because that would be silly. A cash register can't even defend itself. You can't misinterpret numbers. It's either a 1 or a 0, there's no way around that.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 1st, 2008, 10:25 am

^-- offtopic

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 1st, 2008, 3:10 pm

It would be off topic if it weren't true, and I was being a jerk about it. I'm serious though. Screw your knowing more then one language. It makes no sense, why know and create more when less is better. The Sumerians used a form of numbering in some of their communication and it's basically the perfect form of communicating. Why do you think we're constantly firing messages into outer space via computers? Because those messages get sent across simply as 1's and 0's. Why are the Pioneer plaques devoid of any words? Because we know full well that trying to communicate as we know it in languages as we know causes far too much confusion on earth let alone with other creatures.

To answer all your questions, (which my opinion in previous posts answered without answering) No. We don't need to know more, or learn more, or teach more. We need to find a way to communicate with each other on a simpler basis to avoid further confusions.

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 613
Joined: March 10th, 2005, 10:44 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » May 1st, 2008, 4:42 pm

you think about this stuff when you smoke because smokin the shit makes people smart sometimes

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 1st, 2008, 7:46 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:It would be off topic if it weren't true, and I was being a jerk about it. I'm serious though. Screw your knowing more then one language. It makes no sense, why know and create more when less is better. The Sumerians used a form of numbering in some of their communication and it's basically the perfect form of communicating. Why do you think we're constantly firing messages into outer space via computers? Because those messages get sent across simply as 1's and 0's. Why are the Pioneer plaques devoid of any words? Because we know full well that trying to communicate as we know it in languages as we know causes far too much confusion on earth let alone with other creatures.

To answer all your questions, (which my opinion in previous posts answered without answering) No. We don't need to know more, or learn more, or teach more. We need to find a way to communicate with each other on a simpler basis to avoid further confusions.
-im talking about langauges which is part of culture which falls under the theme of this forum section

-i not telling anyone to learn anything, im just saying its a good idea.

-the personal issues between calculators and cash registers is off-topic :lol:
We need to find a way to communicate with each other on a simpler basis to avoid further confusions.
and learning a language that you dont speak wouldnt accomplish that? speaking in binary code would accomplish that easier right?

Right now people dont talk in one universal language and binary code so right now if people want to communicate with someone with another culture it requires some learning of another language to make communicating easier. In my opinion

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 2nd, 2008, 8:24 am

whiskeyjack wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:It would be off topic if it weren't true, and I was being a jerk about it. I'm serious though. Screw your knowing more then one language. It makes no sense, why know and create more when less is better. The Sumerians used a form of numbering in some of their communication and it's basically the perfect form of communicating. Why do you think we're constantly firing messages into outer space via computers? Because those messages get sent across simply as 1's and 0's. Why are the Pioneer plaques devoid of any words? Because we know full well that trying to communicate as we know it in languages as we know causes far too much confusion on earth let alone with other creatures.

To answer all your questions, (which my opinion in previous posts answered without answering) No. We don't need to know more, or learn more, or teach more. We need to find a way to communicate with each other on a simpler basis to avoid further confusions.
-im talking about langauges which is part of culture which falls under the theme of this forum section

-i not telling anyone to learn anything, im just saying its a good idea.

-the personal issues between calculators and cash registers is off-topic :lol:
We need to find a way to communicate with each other on a simpler basis to avoid further confusions.
and learning a language that you dont speak wouldnt accomplish that? speaking in binary code would accomplish that easier right?

Right now people dont talk in one universal language and binary code so right now if people want to communicate with someone with another culture it requires some learning of another language to make communicating easier. In my opinion
Thank you for your opinion, mine is of the opposite. The topic is of learning multiple languages. I thought it would be a good time to mention how unproductive it really is. The whole story of Babylon (you don't need to be religious to understand it's lesson) is that throwing more languages at people causes more confusion. Sure, I'm not going to change the world and the way we communicate overnight, but I was merely giving my opinion about how we as people could be more productive and lessen confusing by having one universal language. That being said, my little side jokes hardly go off-topic in the sense of you and oXJmAuPs2005Xo have been lately so no need to point fingers.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 2nd, 2008, 8:52 am

Sure, I'm not going to change the world and the way we communicate overnight, but I was merely giving my opinion about how we as people could be more productive and lessen confusing by having one universal language.
-if i were you replying to me id say screw your attempt at a universal language, and make some joke in the process .but im not thats your opinion.

-nothing in this forum is productive get over it

-whatever is going on in the other thread doesn't pertain to this which is why its in the other thread. Ive kept it on topic and if you want to discuss it them message me and we can debate that.

-if you look the second post in this thread someone like sentenza actually replied to it intelligently and was able too, so to be honest this thread isn't a waste of time. i learned a thing or two in this thread believe it or not. Even oXJmAuPs2005Xo replied to this thread and kept it on topic and i never accused him of shit in this thread.

The whole story of Babylon (you don't need to be religious to understand it's lesson) is that throwing more languages at people causes more confusion
-i not telling anyone to learn anything, im just saying its a good idea.
and you know what that depends on the person

If all you can say is that we need a universal language then just say it don't talk about microwaves, aliens and cash registars

i understand alberta is predominately english but thats not the case in the rest of canada, and you know what alberta doesnt have the majority of immigrants in it yet.

And it works both ways if someone who speaks mostly punjabi comes to canada and wants to interact, i dont see them going to the bar and drawing pictures to let the bar tender know they want beer. They will try and learn our language just like some people will try and learn there language

Talk about the 5 w's pertaining to learning languages and not talk about going off-topic because oXJmAuPs2005Xo are arguing in the other thread.

Id hate to be a frenchmen were you live

If you going to reply to this make it about languages and make your points for a universal language ( i know computers talk in binary but we dont). If you want to continue talking about whats on-topic and whats off-topic message me.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 2nd, 2008, 8:56 am

so talking about your universal language

were not there yet, so i want to talk to someone that isn't English soooo one of us is going to have to learn a language...

How else would i go about being able to communicate and understand these non-English speaking people?

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 2nd, 2008, 9:45 am

whiskeyjack wrote:
Sure, I'm not going to change the world and the way we communicate overnight, but I was merely giving my opinion about how we as people could be more productive and lessen confusing by having one universal language.
-if i were you replying to me id say screw your attempt at a universal language, and make some joke in the process .but im not thats your opinion.

-nothing in this forum is productive get over it

-whatever is going on in the other thread doesn't pertain to this which is why its in the other thread. Ive kept it on topic and if you want to discuss it them message me and we can debate that.

-if you look the second post in this thread someone like sentenza actually replied to it intelligently and was able too, so to be honest this thread isn't a waste of time. i learned a thing or two in this thread believe it or not. Even oXJmAuPs2005Xo replied to this thread and kept it on topic and i never accused him of shit in this thread.

The whole story of Babylon (you don't need to be religious to understand it's lesson) is that throwing more languages at people causes more confusion
-i not telling anyone to learn anything, im just saying its a good idea.
and you know what that depends on the person

If all you can say is that we need a universal language then just say it don't talk about microwaves, aliens and cash registars

i understand alberta is predominately english but thats not the case in the rest of canada, and you know what alberta doesnt have the majority of immigrants in it yet.

And it works both ways if someone who speaks mostly punjabi comes to canada and wants to interact, i dont see them going to the bar and drawing pictures to let the bar tender know they want beer. They will try and learn our language just like some people will try and learn there language

Talk about the 5 w's pertaining to learning languages and not talk about going off-topic because oXJmAuPs2005Xo are arguing in the other thread.

Id hate to be a frenchmen were you live

If you going to reply to this make it about languages and make your points for a universal language ( i know computers talk in binary but we dont). If you want to continue talking about whats on-topic and whats off-topic message me.
I don't live in Alberta any more, so I have no clue why you're bringing that up. And there's plenty of french people where I live now and they seem to get on just fine. Where are you going with this?

Where to start. First off, you have to get a better grasp of the English language if you plan on using it because frankly your sentence structure and the general lay out of your responses is confusing at best. I'm not sure if you're mad at me, agreeing with me, or just spouting off bullet points for the sake of responding. Secondly, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I'm not going off topic, I'm not messing up your whole thread here, and I'm not joking around. Just because I don't agree with you, or respond to your questions one by one in a Grade 4 English class outline doesn't mean I'm not contributing.

The whole thread title is Knowing one language compared to many, and my opinion is of that of knowing ONE is much, much better. I'm not saying English is the one, I'm saying we all collectively learn a brand new one that's broken down to the simplest form. My analogy of aliens and computers makes perfect sense whether you like it or not and as jokingly as I may come off. NASA sends messages to outer space in the form of binary because they know full well using any worldly language would never work. Computers talk to each other in binary and at best you get random blackouts instead of World Wars (for now, I'm watching you Dell!). One is better, Simpler is better.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 2nd, 2008, 9:47 am

ok how could it be possible?

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”