Swedish Nigger Balls - not what You think it is

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
bimbolena
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Stockholm

Swedish Nigger Balls - not what You think it is

Unread post by bimbolena » February 10th, 2012, 4:22 am

Hi,

I'm new here. Hope it's OK I post. I joined kinda because I find gangs exciting like. But I ended up reading lotsa here because it's like interesting.

Anyway, this can give a perspective from outside USA.

In Sweden we have a kind of cookies that was chocolate balls covered in sugar. When I was a kid they was called "Neger bollar", in english that's "Nigger balls", and had allways been called that. Nobody thought it was strange and nobody had any idea it was insulting. Becuase in Sweden it wasn't until when I grow up that neger become a real forbidden word. Because we had no history of using it to insult or belittle people, it was just a word for person with black skin.

And strangely it seems nobody even made the association of what balls could mean.

Nowadays everyone know the american feeling on the subject, and we have enough racism here on our own to. So now Neger has become a forbidden word and the cookies are called chocolate balls instead. It even got into national news recently when a cafe sold neger bollar.

Lena

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”