Mexico Issues Stamps of Black Character

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » July 22nd, 2005, 11:17 am

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » July 22nd, 2005, 2:56 pm

Dr. Gonzo wrote:
Ancient Tribes of America wrote:
Dr. Gonzo wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:Indians have nothing to do with this.I hate it when people act like one wrong excuses another,or makes another less bad.We are talking about Memin Penguin and how these stamps are offensive to blacks.
I'm not making an excuse. All, I'm saying is the mexican government looks down on dark people.
is the government run by dark people?
Hell no! Does Vicente Fox look dark to you?
no... he looks white as snow.

what does villaraigosa have to say about this?

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » July 22nd, 2005, 3:08 pm

Who knows? But Antonio is of indian ancestry that's for sure.

kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kcf_4_ever_4_lyfe » July 22nd, 2005, 6:43 pm

It doesn't matter, it is just a stamp in my opinion. Why would it be a big deal if a stamp in mexico has a black person on it. Actually, i don't care about a stamp, I care why mexicans would put a black person on a stamp. i noe that probably every country has their own race on the stamp. Is it because of racial tensions or a big protest.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 22nd, 2005, 7:24 pm

It is crazy man, the comic strip been around for over 50 years, but now that it is being "honorably" recognized as an icon of Mexico, it now becomes an issue of contention and racism (?). LO QUE SERA, SERA.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 23rd, 2005, 12:38 am

lonewolf wrote:It is crazy man, the comic strip been around for over 50 years, but now that it is being "honorably" recognized as an icon of Mexico, it now becomes an issue of contention and racism (?). LO QUE SERA, SERA.
people have problems with everything. too many ppl are easily offended.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » July 23rd, 2005, 7:14 am

se11 wrote:
lonewolf wrote:It is crazy man, the comic strip been around for over 50 years, but now that it is being "honorably" recognized as an icon of Mexico, it now becomes an issue of contention and racism (?). LO QUE SERA, SERA.

WHY WAS THE COMIC STARTED TO BEGIN WITH AND WHY DID THEY MAKE EM LOOK LIKE MONKEYS COMPARED TO THE SPANISH MEXICANS?

ANSWER THAT!

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » July 23rd, 2005, 8:58 am

Funny how this comic book is popular in Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Panama, Colombia and the Philippines. I guess those countries are all racist for supporting the comic book which displays a boy with exaggerated features.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 23rd, 2005, 10:53 am

Dr. Gonzo wrote:Funny how this comic book is popular in Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Panama, Colombia and the Philippines. I guess those countries are all racist for supporting the comic book which displays a boy with exaggerated features.
I think was troubling many people about the stamp is that black people are still being stereotyped with a "Jim Crow" type character after all these years. Unfortunately most Americans have no clue what is going on in the world outside of her borders, let alone many black Americans not knowing what's going on past a few city blocks. Yes... Menin Penguin has been around for 50+ years, but most black Americans had no clue about his existence, or something would have been said years ago.

I feel the black community should take some of the blame for some of the current stereotypes that are wrongly and unjustly stereotyping black people. What I mean by this is: Don't wait until the media throws it in your face to get in an uproar. The black community should have known about Menin Penguin years ago and should have done something about it (protest etc.), but these are not important issues until they become public and embarrassing. Too many are caught up in the bling bling, ghetto superstar, rapper, mack daddy mentality.

This should be a wake up call to many Afro Americans. Learn what's going on outside of your neighborhood. Menin Penguin is not the only black character on the world stage.
viewtopic.php?t=8174&highlight=

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 23rd, 2005, 4:26 pm

100 wrote:
se11 wrote:

WHY WAS THE COMIC STARTED TO BEGIN WITH AND WHY DID THEY MAKE EM LOOK LIKE MONKEYS COMPARED TO THE SPANISH MEXICANS?

ANSWER THAT!
why did nobody have a problem with it for 50 years, then suddnley everyone does?

is memin penguin even suppose to be a black person or just a monkey?

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » July 25th, 2005, 12:40 pm

se11 wrote:
100 wrote:
se11 wrote:

ANSWER THAT!
why did nobody have a problem with it for 50 years, then suddnley everyone does?

sell-why did nobody have a problem with it for 50 years, then suddnley everyone does?

MAYBE BLACKS IN LATIN AMERICA SEEN THEMSELVES AS MONKEYS I DON'T KNOW!

so this comic book been in circulation in america for 50 years or mexico for fifity years?

the reason why blacks are in uproar is because mexicans circulate these stamps it in the united states. it was not about the comic book it was about the stamp the comic came later when they explain it which makes it worse

i mean japan has some too but until japan start distributing comics like that in america then you hear noise!

what you think?, it's already known he is portraying a black person but he's portrayed in looking like a monkey which your type of people and hispanics and native americans see us as anyway so it don't surprise me that you feel this way i rather them have a black person in human form not in form of an animal that people see us as.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 25th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Whatever man, beleive what you like. You ain't never heard or read from me calling anyone a monkey. I only hear yourselves calling yourselves with such a name.

But do you really beleive that with all these negative vibes and attitude on your behalf is going to make things better?

I can honestly say to you, that it is precicely this type of attitude from some amongst black people which accounts for others to distance themselves even further & keeping up the stereotypes.

You go ahead and continue hating back and running all that negativity and see what it gets you.

It will get you more of the same, you reap what you sow.

You ain't free from the same mistakes which others make, and you are not as innocent as you try to portray yourself as.

Take a good look at yourself, look down deep inside and ponder on who and what you are made of.

Trust me, if you are proud of yourself and happy with what you see within you, then you would strive to accomplish a constructive life, seeking the best in people and not conflict.

Needless to say, righteousness is not what lives in your heart.

You VOMIT HATE, yet you want others to LOVE YOU.

That ain't the way sir, that is a receipe for an unhappy life full of conflict.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » July 25th, 2005, 2:11 pm

Last edited by 100 on July 25th, 2005, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 25th, 2005, 2:14 pm

^^^ looks pretty similar to me!

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » July 25th, 2005, 2:17 pm

Cold Bear wrote:^^^ looks pretty similar to me!

huh

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 25th, 2005, 2:18 pm

Cold Bear wrote:^^^ looks pretty similar to me!
lol...
And me too my BROTHER.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 25th, 2005, 2:18 pm

It looks exactly the same as Memin Pinguin,

Fuck it man... I think that people should have issue with the Memin cartoon... It's exactly like the racist ass Sambo comics, portraying Blacks in a ludicrous role and caricaturing Blacks. Whether the intention is racist or not, it's more than likely influenced by racist cartoons like Sambo, maybe just the character and not the attitude, but who knows. the damn cartoon is problematic at least... otherwise nobody would be talking about the damn thing.

Maybe Mexicans should have issue with it too since they are told to IDENTIFY with the cartoon, like Lonewolf said! the purpose of the Sambo comics was for whites to laught at him, at the symbol of Black people.

fuck that I feel like this is all hot air, so this is the last post on this topic I'm putting.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 25th, 2005, 3:07 pm

HELL man, I've gone through the same evils of discrimination and stereotyping as any other Black Man.
From being assaulted and having had back surgery on account of an act by a racist white man, to being a victim of profiling by the authorities, to being insulted with racial names thought out my life. These and so much other unfair and unequal treatment, even to this day. A day rarely goes by in which in some form or another I feel that I get the short end of the stick.

But I'm tired of hating back, I'm tired of not getting to know the "real people" behind the mask. I'm tired of holding grudges, I'm tired of the past creeping up on me and trying to keep me down. Just plain tired man.

My best friends right now consist of 1 Polar Bear, 1 Blood, 1 Rock-A-Billy Chicano, 1 White Family Man, 1 Filipino Brother, 1 Guamanian, and 1 Olden Chicano Homeboy.
We play poker, go fishing, have BBQ's, celebrate kid's birthdays, exchange view points, poke fun at each other, exchange gifts, give rides to each other, and all that goes with a cool friendship. Not Homeboys, just a cool regular normal friendship.

We don't expect more than what can be expected from each other, we accept our differences and we live our own different styled lives, yet we get along and we respect each other. I learn from them and they learn from me. I simply see things in a different perpective than from prior times, and to be all honest, I'm very comfortable with how I conduct myself with "all" those around me, regardless of race or social status.

If I see you on the side of the freeway with your car broken down, you know what, I pull over and offer some assistance, even if its the middle of the night and I take a risk. That is the type of person I am now, and "I feel safe by it".

I'm not much of a smart talker with quick come backs and insults, and I don't have a finess or coolness with words. But what I do have is alot of heart and muchos huevos.

I don't care what color you are, if you are my friend, I GOT YOUR BACK. If you come wake me up in the early morning hours with a problem that you may have, I'M THERE FOR YOU. I don't expect anything back from you, I thank the LORD that blesses me plenty. The only thing I wish from you, is that you give me some cammaderie.

My young princess has mostly Black friends, my Junior has a beautiful Filipina girlfriend, my middle boy has the most tender heart in which he just likes to have plenty of friends, a sportsman he is.
My lady is ignorant for the most part to this racial stuff, she just like to laugh it out with whomever has the joking spirit - she is definitely a fun person. My whole family is fun loving and I have never witness any of them doing harm to anyone based on race, NEVER.

So when I hear all this bullcrap about racist Mexicans, I say to you, that you are wrong to throw a blanket rap on all, on account of some.

If you have an issue, then an issue you have and get it off your chest. Just don't get up on my face and pick a fight with me, because I GUARANTEE YOU, YOU AIN'T GOING AWAY CLEAN FACED, simple as that.

And it won't be because of race, it will be because YOU ASKED FOR IT.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » July 25th, 2005, 4:09 pm

lonewolf wrote:Whatever man, beleive what you like. You ain't never heard or read from me calling anyone a monkey. I only hear yourselves calling yourselves with such a name.

But do you really beleive that with all these negative vibes and attitude on your behalf is going to make things better?

I can honestly say to you, that it is precicely this type of attitude from some amongst black people which accounts for others to distance themselves even further & keeping up the stereotypes.
so,we should just let others disrespect us,and say nothing in return,because if we do it might cause even more people to dislike and look down upon us?

Youre a fucking idiot.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » July 25th, 2005, 7:10 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Whatever man, beleive what you like. You ain't never heard or read from me calling anyone a monkey. I only hear yourselves calling yourselves with such a name.

so,we should just let others disrespect us,and say nothing in return,because if we do it might cause even more people to dislike and look down upon us?

Youre a #%@&#%@ idiot.

EXACTLY I DON'T SAY NOTHING ABOUT ANY OTHER NATIONAL, ETHNIC GROUP OR RACE UNLESS THEY TRY TO GET GRIMEY with the MOUTH AND THERE MAY BE CONSENQUENCES. MLK WAS COOL BUT HE GET KNOCKED DOWN BY THE FIST OF WHITES AND DONE NOTHING BUT I GUESS HE HAD A POINT ALSO CAUSE IF HE'D DID HIS ASS WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT OR HANG ON SITE OF HIS MARCHES!~ BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT TIMES NOW!

Low_Dogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Low_Dogg » July 26th, 2005, 1:47 pm

THOSE BITHCEZ(mexicanz)HATE NIGGAZ CUZZ WE the MOST TALENT NATION AND WE RUN the STREETZ AND THEY JEALOUS OF US
MUTHAPHUKK MEXICANS

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 26th, 2005, 3:55 pm

100 wrote:MLK WAS COOL BUT HE GET KNOCKED DOWN BY THE FIST OF WHITES AND DONE NOTHING BUT I GUESS HE HAD A POINT ALSO CAUSE IF HE'D DID HIS ASS WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT OR HANG ON SITE OF HIS MARCHES!~ BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT TIMES NOW!
MLK was waaayy before his times. People today can't really comprehend or understand what he actually did. His whole game plan was to show the world that the southern whites were the aggressers and the oppressors. He was too smart to use his fist, (secondly if he did, blacks/minorities wouldn't be hooked up today).
He went non-violence for change. He went the economic/media warfare route. If he would have taken the action as so many want to take today, the world stage would not have supported him, the world stage would have sided with the southern whites saying I guess they were savages after all. "Look at them."
100 wrote:ALSO CAUSE IF HE'D DID HIS ASS WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT OR HANG ON SITE OF HIS MARCHES!~ BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT TIMES NOW!
The KKK knew the world was watching MLK and and the people of the south, they treaded lightly on him vs. your average black in the south during the 1960s.

The violent ignorant never gains any ground. That why there hasn't been any major leaps and bounds by the black community sense the civil rightd era. To tell you the truth, the black community has actually gone backwards. Divisive (hatin' on each other), cliques, materialistics, won't read, won't get educated, becoming increasingly racist, and violent.

Talk to older black people from the south during the civil rights era, you didn't have all of this BS that's going around today. MLK was the sacrificial lamb, and this is how he's honored?????

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » August 3rd, 2005, 11:28 am

OH YEAH THIS REMINDS ME THIS OLD BOARD I USED TO BE ON DISCUSS MEMIN A YEAR AGO!

PLZ READ
http://www.brazzilbrief.com/viewtopic.php?t=14190

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 3rd, 2005, 11:47 am

Interesting thread on Menin and what Brazilians thought of Americans regarding race.

Secondly, I didn't know the story history of Menin Penguin, so I posted it below for others.

Story History of Menin Penguin:
memin was a young poor black kid from Havanna cuba ,around 8 years old, a really funny kid, latin america's answer to dennis the menace, also the son of a maid called Eufrosina.

Memin was a menace , he was also a mediocre student , but a really fun loving kid, with a big soul, he had a tiny dog called gordita.

his popularity was so big, that it went beyond the borders of latin america and was published in Hong Kong, Philipines, Greece, Italy and France.

and in Malasya it was declared mandatory for kids at school to read memin, because they couldn't get enough of this little black latin american kid's stories.
and the malasya's education officials considered memin was an excellent tool for kids to enhance their reading and comprehension skills making it mandatory.

memin used to sell at least 70 million copies a month in only world wide.

except in the USA, where its publication was forbidden due to the fact, that the american government thought that memin was stereotyping black boys as menace kids, and mediocre students!!

also the drawings of eufrosina, memin's mom were considered too stereotypical of blacks.

memin was succesfully published from 1944 to 1991.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » August 4th, 2005, 10:35 am

To me,its not Memin's behavior that is offensive(I guess,since I have never read one of the comics,are they available translated to english?) its the way he looks.I mean he looks like a fucking monkey,while people of other races look human in the comic.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 4th, 2005, 10:45 am

blackmanofhonor wrote:To me,its not Memin's behavior that is offensive(I guess,since I have never read one of the comics,are they available translated to english?) its the way he looks.I mean he looks like a #%@&#%@ monkey,while people of other races look human in the comic.
You are so right. Menin day to day struggles can represent people anywhere, except for his looks. He is drawn in a stereotypic and racist view of black people. When this character first erupted, these type of drawings of blacks was the order of the day. Menin's character was/is in need of a badly overdue makeover.

Yes people worldwide may identify with Menin, but people worldwide also associate an early 19th century minstrel character (one of inferior race) with modern day blacks. That's what's offensive.

ratt
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ratt » August 4th, 2005, 11:53 am

i have seen the stamps and i have read everyones post.

if memin is mexico, why doesn't he look like a mexican?

secondly, not all mexicans are racist i know many who would die for me.

however, it is obvious that most mexicans are racist.

finally, i'm sure the mexican people hated to see it get canceled.
if it's just a kartoon they can remake it to look like a mexican.

they shouldn't have a problem with that.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » August 5th, 2005, 11:49 am

ratt wrote:i have seen the stamps and i have read everyones post.

if memin is mexico, why doesn't he look like a mexican?

secondly, not all mexicans are racist i know many who would die for me.

however, it is obvious that most mexicans are racist.

finally, i'm sure the mexican people hated to see it get canceled.
if it's just a kartoon they can remake it to look like a mexican.

they shouldn't have a problem with that.

bgpride1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bgpride1 » December 27th, 2007, 12:25 am

pierrot wrote:man what's wrong with these mexicans nowadays? first they are killing innocent non-affiliated africans-americans in the street of los angeles. second their president fox made some derogatories comments about blacks and now they are back at it with this stamp controversy. why dont they leave black people alone? that's wrong all these anti-black feelings from those mexicans.
some mexicans r the new house niggas under whitey, instead of fightin side by side like back in the day its easier ta stab blacks in the back to get in whiteys favor, fuckin racist slaves.I use ta have plenty of mexican homeboys and in the late 80s, early 90s shit started bein funny and shit. Also it depends on where u live.Thats why brothas got to stop hatin one another, myself included because I hate all stupid ass people orange to yellow, anybody. Either advance and lead the way or get in line and follow a real leader or cause. When u down heat comes from everywhere even below.

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”