WHATS THE HISTORY OF WOP TOWN CRAZYS

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
REEBOK

WHATS THE HISTORY OF WOP TOWN CRAZYS

Unread post by REEBOK » October 6th, 2008, 10:38 pm

RAPPERS MR SHADOW & KNIGHTOWL ARE FROM THAT BARRIO

yardstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Dago

Re: WHATS THE HISTORY OF WOP TOWN CRAZYS

Unread post by yardstick » October 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm

I think Wop Town came up in the 70's (mid or late). They are named after the Little Italy district of San Diego (WOP was a slur towards Italian immigrants way back...."WithOut Papers). History via relatives: Back in the 60' and 70's, the Little Italy and Midtown districts of Downtown San Diego were tore up. There area was predominantly low income, and there was a lot of crime there (prostitution, drugs, etc....).

Towards the mid 70's a Mexican American gang formed in that area, and took on the name Wop Town since the center of their hood was in the Little Italy district. Early on they used to beef with Logan Red Steps (Red Step territory used to go into the Dowtown East Village area). I don't know when or how their beef with Old Town San Diego started-but OTSD is their main rival. In fact, i don't know when OTSD came up. I guess Krazy Boys is a relatively newer click of Wop Town....when I was a youngster, it was just Wop Town (WT), or Wop Town Locos (WTLS).

The LI district began to clean up around the mid 90's. And now, it is a rich neighborhood...all due to gentrifcation. And, the Midtown district is mostly commercial complexes, and parking for Lindbergh Field. I guess Wop Town's main hang out is Amici Park now. I am suprised they are still around due to all of the gentrification. I guess their current turf is Little Itay, Midtown, and Park West. Although Park West and LI are somewhat affluent areas now.

REEBOK

Unread post by REEBOK » October 7th, 2008, 10:55 pm

thanks

Boardxtremist
What city do you live in now?: San Jose

Unread post by Boardxtremist » March 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Growing up i had cousins in WTLs. We are italian and my family owned homes and worked in Little Italy. So... I do know that WT was mixed in the sense that it had a lot of Hispanic and Italian members.

yardstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Dago

Unread post by yardstick » April 30th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Boardxtremist wrote:Growing up i had cousins in WTLs. We are italian and my family owned homes and worked in Little Italy. So... I do know that WT was mixed in the sense that it had a lot of Hispanic and Italian members.
Yea...the gang was probably mixed in the beginning. An older cousin of mine said that there used to be a few Potuguese homies from Wop Town back in the day. That area of SD used to have a lot of Portuguese too. A lot of SD chicano gangs were mixed in the 70's and 80's. People don't belive me, but i remeber a japanese american cholo from OTNC and an african american from VCV in the early 80's (i think he was called smokey). i remember a lot white cholos, and a couple of Pinoys from OTNC too in the early 80's too. From what i remember at that time, Logan, Sherman, Otay, and Sidro were the gangs that were strictly Chicano, with the exception of a couple of white homies here and there. But those white homies were just like the chicanos. they spoke spanish/spanglish, they were catholic.........in essence they were ethnically chicano/mexican. Now it seems like the chicano gangs in SD only allow latinos , whites, or Native Americans. every one in a while you'll come across a half mexican/half african american cholo, or half pinoy half mexican cholo. it's all due to the prison politics....

It seems like there isn't a lot of Italians in Little Italy any more...it's like the yuppies are running them out. I was down there last month...man that place has changed! it's like the new spot to be in SD. the streets were packed..and a bunch of yuppie bars have opened up.

to tell the truth...i'm suprised WTX3 still exists at all. most of the homies from there probably don't even live in that neighborhood anymore.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 8th, 2009, 10:35 pm

WOP TOWN goes back to at least the 60s that I know of
stories i've heard place back the mexican barrio to the 1950s
the top of the hill, above little italy, was mexican in the 1970s
a lot of gentrification has taken place up there.

the lower part, around india and state, all the way to the waterfront
has indeed given way to tourism, car rentals and parking structures
the homies were driven farther north.. towards amici park

the varrio in the old days, stretched all the way to downtown SD
all the way where the Union Station used to be
but that's all old times, old news, WxT is nowhere near there anymore

just like the old Barrio Sherman used to be stretch to downtown on the east side
and just like Logan 's CHERRIES (Red Steps) bordered on the southern side

things were a lot different back in time.. when SD was all full of entertainmment
for the Military, all along what is now today ~> The Gaslamp District, 5th & 6th

SHOOTER
What city do you live in now?: SAN DIEGO

Unread post by SHOOTER » September 19th, 2009, 2:18 pm

I was busted with a couple of them a loooooong time ago. Homies named Penguin and Puppet. Puppet had recently got burned on his shoulders at that time and had just had recent surgery for skin grafts on both shoulders. Back in 1991! Both were solid guys.

scrub1819
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by scrub1819 » September 20th, 2009, 12:59 am

damn it seems like all the older guys got some kind of memory of Woptown.
im young[20], but my dad and a couple of his siblings grew up with a lot of people from Woptown, back in the 70s &80s.
ive met random people that have memories involving Woptown, i worked with a couple of guys that had talked about Woptown as if it was one of those hotspots..
crazy;
i think nowadays most of the remaining heads are out in Spring Valley i think..

BullaBritches
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: SOUTH BAY SAN DIEGO

Unread post by BullaBritches » September 20th, 2009, 11:26 am

yea..shadow is suppost to live in Jamul now! some of those WTOWNERS were living by in North Park and near LOMAS for a while. i wonder how there getting alon with SVLS

MENACE18
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOS ANGELES

Unread post by MENACE18 » September 20th, 2009, 7:31 pm

BullaBritches wrote:yea..shadow is suppost to live in Jamul now! some of those WTOWNERS were living by in North Park and near LOMAS for a while. i wonder how there getting alon with SVLS
my homie harris is uncle has a recording studio in his hous over in rancho san diego and in jamul to and shadow would go there to record some tracks,he would be driven a fucked up 63 impala,the paint job and just the car itself looked like shit

Return to “Gang Questions, Info & News - West Coast - U.S.A.”