Sonny Sandoval

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
sd30619540
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Sonny Sandoval

Unread post by sd30619540 » November 12th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Does anyone know what gang Sonny Sandoval was in? He is the lead singer of P.O.D. It says in his biography that he grew up in a Chicano area of S.D. and he joined a gang at 13.

yardstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Dago

Re: Sonny Sandoval

Unread post by yardstick » November 12th, 2008, 9:29 pm

The drummer (Noah) and Sonny are related from what i've heard (cousins?). They grew up in South San Diego. The guitarist Marcos Curiel (real cool dude...i met him once) grew up in Chula Vista. And the bassist grew up in Cleaveland and moved to Escondido or Vista.

A lot of cats say that Sonny and the drummer are mad wanna bes. They always repped that they were gangsters from the "ghetto," but they will never say what set they were from. Supposedly they grew up in a decent neighborhood in South Side. I always heard that they were church going kids in high school that talked the talk, but couldn't walk the walk. The crowd that they hung with were supposed to be a bunch of wanna bes. Back when the group formed, being gangster was turning into a style. I guess the figured that rapping=being ghetto. I heard that a lot of people used to hit them up before they got big..but they would get all shy.

I have been told that Marcos Curiel was always a rocker and never a banger, people say that he was always straight with what he really was (a proud non-gangbanging Chicano). He didn't try to portray himself as some gangster from the ghetto. Oddly enough... he was supposed to have grown up real poor, and came from a broken family, but he didn't turn into a gangster or hoodlum.

I don't now anything about the bassist.

And I have no idea of what this "South Town" shit is that they talk about. I have never heard a G in San Diego use that term to describe any part of San Diego. I heard that is part of the reason why the guitarist left-was because he was sick of the wanna be ghetto sterotype that they were trying to portray. I guess they are back together though.

Supposedly POD didn't get that much support from the San Diego punk rock amd rap scenes because a lot of people didn't belive their street cred, and the punkers shyed away from their preaching and christian influenced music.

The only famous true G's that I know of that came out of San Diego music scene are:
Jayo Felony-NH Rollin 40s
Mr. Shadow-Wop Town
Mr. Knightowl-Wop Town
Mitchy Slick-Lincoln Park Bloods
Lil CS-East Dago Mob
Ecay Uno-West Coast Rollin 30s?
Damu-South Side Brims
Ganster Ern (RIP)-South Side Brims
Young Sick-Shelltown 38
Terms-Varrio Loco Otay

jtsd619
What city do you live in now?: Otay

Unread post by jtsd619 » February 8th, 2009, 8:18 pm

they grew up in del sol

yardstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Dago

Unread post by yardstick » February 12th, 2009, 7:48 pm

jtsd619 wrote:they grew up in del sol
yeah..i knew it was one of those South San Diego neighborhoods. Del Sol's a trip. You got some spots that are real nice, and some spots that are tore up. I'd rather live in any of those SSD nieghborhoods (Nestor, Sidro, Egger Highlands, Otay Mesa), than in SESD or City Heights anytime though. Don't get me wrong...I'm not dissing SESD or CH, it's just that the gang problem is way more worse in SESD and CH.

The whole South Bay in general is a lot safer than SESD or CH. The two worse varrios in the SB are probably Otay, and the area of National City that meets Shelltown (OTNC vs Gamma).

You from VLO?....now that's a hood.

That area of Chula Vista looks like it should be in Southeast San Diego or East Los. Old english murals, dirt alleyways, houses and apartment buildings that are hit up, junkies, nasty ass hookers...etc. And can you belive that the area has actually cleaned up alot since the 80's and 90's! I was eating at a roach coach down there by Main and 4th, and there were bullet shells scattered in the parking lot! Chula Vista is another one of those trippy spots. On the west side of CV there's little pockets of hood in between nice quiet neigborhoods. You can have a crazy ass gangster in a f-cked up duplex or apartment living right next to an upstanding citizen that lives in a well manicured $500,000 house. It almost seems like in some spots that it goes neighborhood to neighborhood...or even house to house. But the east side...pure money! There's even multimillion dollar houses in the east side of that city.

The other trippy thing about West CV is that there are a lot of ex-gangsters, and gangsters from other hoods that live there. It's like a retirement community for cholos. Lots of ex-gangsters from LA... I met homeboys from Big Hazard, Gardena 13, Compton VLargo, 18th ST, LOTT 13, Geraghty Lomas, Tepa 13, and Sangra, that live or lived in Chula Vista. Lots of SESD gangsters too. Logan, Shelltown, Lomas, Sherman, 73 LS, Market Street, PH Locos.

Plus, if your an out of town G and you are on the west side, you gotta keep your lids peeled for Otay, VChula Vista, and West Side Locos. Also there's a lot of activity from Del Sol, Palm City, and OTNC in west Chula Vista, since DS and PC are to the south of CV, and OTNC is to the north of CV. It's almost like all those gangs use Broadway as their main route to wherever they go. You can start on N Broadway by C ST, and you'll see OTNC and WSLS hitups...then near G ST you start seeing VCV hitups.... Once you get near Naples ST, you start seeing PC, DS, and Otay hitups. And all sorts of hitups anywhere in between.

jtsd619
What city do you live in now?: Otay

Unread post by jtsd619 » March 9th, 2009, 2:07 pm

naw im not, not from the O, but my family and homies are, jus born an raised here n shit

BullaBritches
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: SOUTH BAY SAN DIEGO

Unread post by BullaBritches » September 8th, 2009, 7:59 pm

i think they used to try to try to rep DEL SOL-but they were DENIED by the homies! yea, i dont think that they should have tried to come off as G's when they werent-but at that time they were young and everyone wanted to be a gangster.it was in style. my homie had a tape of the first album they put out in '92...it was mad conservative christian! then they did a 180-and got real big.

but-good for them that they went that far. the guitarist has a new band thats suppost to be real good...like rock style-not that rap/metal stuff.

Return to “Gang Questions, Info & News - West Coast - U.S.A.”