Bullets in the Hood

Discuss TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage. Video games are also discussed in this section.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Bullets in the Hood

Unread post by 'X' » November 28th, 2005, 1:51 am

Bullets in the Hood': Claflin student's documentary picked for film festival
By T&D Staff Report

"Bullets in the Hood: A Bed-Stuy Story," an award-winning film co-directed by Claflin University student Daniel Howard and Terrence Fisher, has been selected for this year's Urbanworld Film Festival.

Fisher had been standing behind his closest friend, Timothy Stansbury, when Stansbury was fatally shot by a police officer on the roof of a Brooklyn housing project on Jan. 24, 2004.

Fisher dealt with his loss by picking up a video camera. "Bullets in the Hood" documents the tense hours and days after the shooting as family and friends looked for ways to handle their grief.

"Experiencing my friend's death was hard, but I try to stay constructive," Fisher said in a statement. "I hope that 'Bullets in the Hood' will help keep the streets safe and teach youth in our community about what's happening on our streets."

The Urbanworld Film Festival will run from Wednesday through Sunday. "Bullets in the Hood" will be shown at 3 p.m. Friday and at 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

"I think many young adults throughout the United States can relate to our film and the issues that are discussed," Howard said in a statement.

"For us as inner-city youth to establish a connection to the world about our issue I think is monumental," Howard said. "We feel we are obligated to make a change in our neighborhood and to express our frustration of police brutality and gun violence in our lives."

Howard and Fisher have mourned 11 of their friends gunned down in the streets of Brooklyn.

"Bullets in the Hood" runs 22 minutes. It won a Special Jury Prize in Short Filmmaking at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.

It was produced at Downtown Community Television Center, a nonprofit media center in New York, through its PRO-TV youth media arts training program, which empowers inner-city teens to explore issues of social significance for themselves and their communities.

The Urbanworld Film Festival has presented more than 450 features, shorts and documentaries since it was founded in 1997 by Stacy Spikes, a former executive at Miramax and October Films.

The festival includes feature, documentary, short film, and music video screenings, as well as panel discussions, live staged screenplay readings and the celebrated Actor's Spotlight, with previous honorees including Vondie Curtis Hall, Samuel L. Jackson, Billy Dee Williams and Rosie Perez.

Howard won a Student Emmy (National Student Television Award of Excellence) for his biographical film, "State of Mind: Living in the Projects." Also, he earned an honorable mention in the Student Emmys for "Jai-Yen: Cool Heart," his film on his experiences during an international reporting assignment in Laos.

At Claflin, Howard earned the Emma Bowen Foundation four-year scholarship. While at the Orangeburg university, he will have the chance to participate in an internship at an NBC affiliate each summer.

youngwun
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngwun » December 8th, 2005, 9:27 pm

Oh good lookin' out X, I been wanting to see that but I guess it went to the back of my mind or some shit. Thanks for reminding me, looks like a real good film.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » December 8th, 2005, 9:47 pm

youngwun wrote:Oh good lookin' out X, I been wanting to see that but I guess it went to the back of my mind or some shit. Thanks for reminding me, looks like a real good film.

Yeah I want to check this out too.

305 Cuban Boy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 305 Cuban Boy » January 1st, 2006, 1:53 pm

word i wanna peep this flick too is it gon be make like to a movie or some?

lb516
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by lb516 » January 1st, 2006, 3:58 pm

here the offical website. i seen it at the brooklyn academy of music back in like september.

http://www.dctvny.org/bullets/index.html

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » January 1st, 2006, 9:17 pm

what year was this actually put out? in 04 or 05?

Return to “Film, TV, Footage, Documentaries & Video Games”