L.A GANG Movies, Los Angeles gangster films

Discuss TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage. Video games are also discussed in this section.
GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: L.A GANG MOOVIES

Unread post by GIBBY » August 14th, 2003, 1:14 pm

Silencioso wrote:A gang movie from the late 70's that's hard to find is "Walk Proud". It's about cholos from the Venice area. It's pretty good actually. They got the look of cholos from that period right on, better than "Blvd. Nights".
LOS AZTECAS LOL

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pico » August 18th, 2003, 12:45 pm

:roll: CASPER, it's interesting what you said about Boyz N the Hood. I wondered about that movie because I wasn't sure about which sets they were showing. To me, it seemed like Doughboy and his boys were just a crew. I do however remember the scene where the cops pulled Tre and Ricky over and hassled them. The black cop mentioned Roling 60's and some other sets.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » August 18th, 2003, 10:25 pm

yes even that cat name dookie in the movie boys n the hood he is a gang member named mouse from rollin90's and you never wonder why they called the movie boys in the HOOD , baby boys is all hoodsta also
they are suposed to be 60's or 40's cause the way he talk and he was dressed it was shot in leimert park and some creenshaw area known to be hoodstaz

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pico » August 19th, 2003, 11:21 am

I see.

Cereal_K
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cereal_K » August 26th, 2003, 5:20 am

Here in europe ya dont get much american films like " dead homies" , because they arent made with much money, so here only get studio hits like 187 ( the scene of the gang member in new york was dope] and " colors" that 4 me is the dopest film ive ever seen, showin drive-by´s, bloods and crips, hispanic gangs, i think is real as fuck, the part i like most is when the crips are in they crib with all these uzis and shotguns.
i think someone should do a film about the start of the crips.

KIR, lil dawgz !!! ( hey homiez, crips also call themselves doggs ?)

Cay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cay » August 29th, 2003, 5:13 pm

aight...here a list of gangsta movies I've seen and liked

menace to society
colors
boyz in the hood
thicker than water
south central
blood in, blood out
barrio boys
crime boss??
AMERICAN HISTORY X (HELLA DOPE)
belly
baby boy!!! (i hate you!!...I loveeee you..LoL)

despite of what bgCasper gotta say the EastSidaz was a dope movie..LoL.. duces and trayz, blue magic, and the rest of they independent movies is on point

Cay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cay » August 29th, 2003, 5:16 pm

the dude that shot ricky in boyz in the hood name spider from jungle stones.

do crips say dogg? hell, theres crips with dogg in their name, there some crips named 'red' also....

Cay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cay » August 29th, 2003, 5:17 pm

Monster Kody movie is called 'War Stories'...

Cereal_K
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cereal_K » August 31st, 2003, 12:50 pm

Yo , american history X is a great gangster movie !!!! and whats barrio boys ?

Cay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cay » September 1st, 2003, 1:19 pm

barrio boys is one of those blockbuster classics that never made it to the theatre!! LoL...good movie tho, atleast I thought so...

Cereal_K
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cereal_K » September 2nd, 2003, 7:04 am

I know BOYZ N THE HOOD isnt bout gangsta, bout it shows gangsta, i think is a real good movie, and the best part is where the lil boyz go to the railways, and play football, and the ball goes to where some homies be chillin hearin the sucker mcs, they dont give the ball back, and then one kicks the lil ice cube, thats where its real, where the homies be chillin.

Keep it real , doggs, !!!! Im from The M

bree
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bree » September 13th, 2003, 6:05 pm

i thought american history X was some "i will get banned" racist propraganda. they address the issue of racism only in terms of how the problem affects white people and thus, even when they set forth to do their work, they fail miserably by showing only one limited view. These films then undercut their own points by reinforcing ethnic notions and placing whites in the role of “savior” and blacks in role of “enabler”.
American History X is no different than its cinematic predecessors in this manner, despite its claims to be “groundbreaking” or “brutally honest”. It shares all the same downfalls and in turn shows itself to be what it is, a film written by a white man, David McKenna (Screenwriter, co-producer) from Southern California’s notoriously racist Orange County somehow rationalizing and coming to terms with his own racism, his own white guilt. The director, Tony Kaye, a commercial maker for the likes of Volvo, Nike and VW was attracted to the film because of the issues it tackled. He then lists it among his issues that he has helped better the world by addressing along side with Abortion rights and Romanian Orphans.Yet, the most alarming and telling part of American History X for me is the way in which it portrays its characters. The white characters are well developed and though misguided, much of their dialogue where they spill forth their racist views spliced with rather palatable or patriotic opinions. This fact is enhanced by the use of the American flag during many of the these scenes, for example, when Danny twirls the American flag toothpick in the principal’s office after writing his book report on Mien Kaumpf, in the black and white scene where Derrick is shown as a teen after his father was killed fighting a fire in a “nigger” neighborhood where the flag blows behind him on his house or at Cameron’s house during the party where American flags decorate the walls and Cameron drinks from an American flag tumbler. What kind of damage is then done when racist messages are put along side of patriotic symbols by characters that are likable? In addition to this question, it must be noted that while the pure hatred is countered later on in the movie, the views that are brought up about blacks being on welfare and taking the jobs away from more qualified white people never are.

nemesi
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by nemesi » September 16th, 2003, 1:59 am

This is for CAY: I read that dude who shot Ricky in “Boyz n The Hood” (Jungle-Stones’ Spider according to you) “became a killer after the movie” (John Singleton’s words).

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » September 16th, 2003, 2:03 pm

bree, did we even watch the same move. Lol.. I thought it was pretty darn anti-racist with a thread of redemption from racism running thru it. As for OC, have you ever lived there? No offense offense, but there is a lot more diversity these days (with hoods in some cities like Santa Ana) than the Nixon days.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » September 16th, 2003, 3:07 pm

Wait a minute. I can see another side to this if you look at the movie and how it depicts minorities. There is a paradox here. Whites will see the movie as an antiracist movie with a message for redemption from antiracism but minorities will see themselves depicted cruelly. Wow! What a trip.

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 17th, 2003, 8:03 pm

I haven't seen enough to pick any but I like how Training Day showed real hoods/varrios

bree
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by bree » September 19th, 2003, 10:44 am

yes i actually wrote a somewhat longish article about American History X an the ways in which it claim to be revolutionary, but in actuality just reinforces many racist steriotypes.
i grew up in foster care an lived in a total of 17 places all over LA, i am very familiar with most areas no offensive offensive.
i can send u a copy of the essay i wrote on that paper, it is to be one in a series of essays on racism in american from the perspecitive of where i come from.

Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Unread post by Ice » September 21st, 2003, 12:28 pm

omack wrote:I haven't seen enough to pick any but I like how Training Day showed real hoods/varrios
yea, training day had sum real shit in it, the jungles and the peeps there was real, no actors and shit....

Cereal_II
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Cereal_II » September 23rd, 2003, 4:13 pm

Stillnobody has put it clear, the ones in red in training day are which gang ?? and some say that the blue ones are the PJ watts, other Grape street,who knows !

Keep it reel, dawgz !!!

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 23rd, 2003, 5:17 pm

On FX this fall, there will be a TV movie on the life of Stanley Williams, co-founder of the Crips. Jamie Foxx is going to be playing Williams.

Fre$h
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Fre$h » September 25th, 2003, 8:32 am

Cereal_II wrote:Stillnobody has put it clear, the ones in red in training day are which gang ?? and some say that the blue ones are the PJ watts, other Grape street,who knows !

Keep it reel, dawgz !!!

It can't possibly be made any more clear than it already has been. Read back over the other posts on the subject, & you'll find what you're looking for.

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 25th, 2003, 4:01 pm

Fre$h, forget about him. Some peeps on this board don't read and can't seem to stop beefing.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

A MAN APART

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » September 29th, 2003, 9:17 am

check this flick out. It's directed by F. Gary Gray, the same cat who directed "Friday. Anyways, this is a Bigger Picture story about the drug scene in Cali, with scenes shot in ECHOPARQUE, South Central, San Pedro, and Mexico. Let me know what you think.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » October 6th, 2003, 10:04 am

who the hell r u to say B-puppies? fool u dont know what the hell ur talkin about, if u a man go into the 20s or crenshaw and shout out B puppies...they might serve ya right

Quintana

Unread post by Quintana » November 5th, 2003, 1:12 pm

Casper can u tell me more about what happened after the film "American Me" was made. U mentioned that that was one of the reasons people involved with the film were killed. also who exactly is La eme.

Quintana

Unread post by Quintana » November 5th, 2003, 1:18 pm

Casper one other thing being on the other side of the pond in sunny England i cant get hold of the film american me. can u help. :?

Quintana

Unread post by Quintana » November 5th, 2003, 1:44 pm

Cay wrote:Monster Kody movie is called 'War Stories'...

Cay - is this film out already. ive read his book and am sure lookin forward to the film. have u seen it. whatcha think.

TINY_ENNY
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by TINY_ENNY » November 5th, 2003, 9:04 pm

Last edited by TINY_ENNY on May 28th, 2004, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pershing
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Pershing » November 5th, 2003, 10:06 pm

I think Bully should be mentioned in this thread. It's not a typical gang movie but it has some gang influence, situations, and is a true story.

Hyp Notica
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Hyp Notica » November 11th, 2003, 1:12 pm

yo casper the kid! so you travelin round the world? where u at now? me i jsut been around some ways n i'm tryin ta make my way inta LA.. never seen the pacific -- mad wild! but soon shall see from el salvador's beach.

just wonderin where u was at cuz i did my divin classs this summer n it was real! but soon much more ocean madness (this was just a lake in canada --no joke!).. so lemme know wassup..

yo i c sum potencial 4 dis site ta git me hooked! just joined taday n it's just so much gossip.. guess it took me awhile ta git on the infomation train! paz

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » February 16th, 2004, 3:28 pm

Boyz in the hood

Did any of you know that Poetic Justice is the sequal to Boyz in the hood?

Doe boys mom owns the beauty salon...ole girl that hangs with justice is in both the movies...When she got in the fight with joe torre she told him I'm going to get Monsta and Dookie to shoot you...Monsta and Dookie was Doe boys homies in Boyz in the hood. Also dookie has a part with Tupac when tupac talks to him in the street. Therefore Poetic Justice is a hoodsta movie LOL...Kinda

Menace to society

Did anyone notice that in the driveby scene the nigga who retaliated had two different kinds of guns in the scene...When they show Ilena's cousin shootin at Kane he has a tech ....when they go back to the scene he has a regular handgun.

Does anyone know wher Kane and Harold got Jacked and where does the retaliation take place?

Ps has anyone heard that Singleton is in the process of making a Baby Boy sequal.

Bsiderida
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Bsiderida » February 16th, 2004, 3:47 pm

does anybody remember the movie "YoungBlood" that sh-t was tight it, I'm not really sure but i think it was filmed in LA, it had lawrence hilton-jacobs the guy that played on Cooley High

Return to “Film, TV, Footage, Documentaries & Video Games”