Training Day (2001)

Discuss TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage. Video games are also discussed in this section.
MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 3rd, 2005, 5:10 pm

$outh$ide wrote:baldwin village/baldwin hills
Yup. It's actually sort of nice on the Crenshaw side, and by that I mean Crenshaw the street. There is a big mall there, Baldwin Hills Plaza, and it's nice there.

But don't go in the residential areas, especially at night, especially on Saturday nights, lol I got jumped there once, I dissed some dealer. It wasn't anything though, they were all youngsters doing this stuff. I went to church the next day and nobody even noticed anything. But I may have been lucky, hehe.

If you go in there, just go to obvious places, like Palmwood Drive, which is where Training Day was filmed. And DON'T walk directly in front of any groups of kids, or any boys there period (if they're dealing and you're not buying... ya). Hehe, just walk on the other side of the street, the kids there are sort of used to people coming to see the place I think on that street.

slcrida

Unread post by slcrida » October 3rd, 2005, 6:02 pm

thanks i was on crenshaw yesterday trying to find it

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » October 3rd, 2005, 7:21 pm

Do people really stand on the roofs at night and guard it with shotguns like on the movie?

MiChuhSuh

Re: what crip set is in Training day?

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 11th, 2005, 12:31 pm

bgCASPER wrote:it was pj watts crips located in imperial garden project in south east watts
113st as north grape st west mona blvd as east ,imperial as their south ...
bunty hunter are their main enemy along with grape st .they one of watts 4 big project gang .
Didn't BHB and PJ Watts click up against GSW? But this post ^^^^ was from a while ago.

MiChuhSuh

Re: Realism of Training Day

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 11th, 2005, 12:34 pm

Purple Dinosaur wrote:its hollywood.......not real life
Hey it was based on the true story of David Mack, the cop who robbed a bank and turned out to be Piru. Sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » October 13th, 2005, 12:23 am

I thought it was based on rampart.

CWalkz

cwalkz

Unread post by CWalkz » November 11th, 2005, 2:56 pm

what was the name of the song playin in the background when dey passed them crips in the parking lot by imperial courts, right before they go into taht girls house

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » November 11th, 2005, 4:14 pm

CWalkz wrote:what was the name of the song playin in the background when dey passed them crips in the parking lot by imperial courts, right before they go into taht girls house
The cd is called "Still I Rise" Its by Tupac and the Outlaws.

Its the 1st song on the cd, it's called "Letter to the President"

CWalkz

Unread post by CWalkz » November 12th, 2005, 7:18 am

what's the name of that song that be playin by dem c'ripz when dey pass imperial courtz

CWalkz

Unread post by CWalkz » November 12th, 2005, 7:21 am

O iight

TD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TD » January 29th, 2006, 11:59 am

BCK 2 WAT WED SAID ABOUT THAT SIX POINT TATTOO ON that CRIPS CHEST....NAH HOMIE U MISTOOK IT 4 A MARIUJUNA LEAF...I KNO HU UR TLKIN ABOUT....UR TLKIN ABOUT THE GUY HU HAD "WATTS" WRITTEN ON HIZ ARM....I 1ST MISTOOK IT FOR A SIX POINT STAR/WAT THOSE TEXAS SHREIFF WEAR....BUT I EXAMINED PROPERLY N IT WOZ A MARIJUIANA LEEF G...

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 29th, 2006, 7:32 pm

What kind of shoes was Denzel wearing?

They were cool. 8)

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » February 21st, 2006, 4:27 pm

Invincible wrote:I thought it was based on rampart.
they definitely used some of Rampart and incorporated it into the character Alonzo from Rafael Perez.

Tuco
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tuco » February 22nd, 2006, 7:34 am

Ayer wrote his script in 1995, before the Rampart Scandal broke out. But the only substantial bringing from Rampart was coming from Denzel who wanted to look like Perez - not from Ayer, nor from Fuqua.

An important detail, Alonzo was a light skin chicano in the first draft, just like the Jake character. And, from what Ayer said, Alonzo was looking more like a tough veterano, wearing kakis and white t-shirt, than a black OG with leather jacket, silk shirt and jewelry. That's why the producers offered the Alonzo part to Bruce Willis, Gary Sinise and Tom Sizemore in the first place. But none of them felt they can took over such a character. There wasn't yet a latino major star at the time -- It was way before Traffic and Benicio Del Toro wasn't bankable yet, because he would have made a wonderful Alonzo. Because of that, Village Roadshow persuade Ayer to make Alonzo black so they can offer the part to Samuel L. Jackson. But after few negotiations, Jackson dropped the part because he didn't want to portray a street-smart cop after the box-office failure of Shaft. Denzel heard that, so he decided to look for the script and ended up buying it.

For the director's chair, it wasn't Fuqua in the first place but Davis Guggenheim. It was Denzel who brought Fuqua in the project because he felt that a street-smart black director would understand the street-culture better than a hollywood white director (even though Fuqua did a good job, why in the hell he didn't offered the gig to the Hughes Brothers or - let's be crazy - to Big Spike ?). It was also Denzel who reworked intensively many scenes to make them more insane and brought all the major ideas. The Perez look ? Denzel's idea. The look of the Monte Carlo ? Denzel's idea. The two guns ? Denzel's idea. The scene in the shooting gallery ? Denzel's idea. The line "you want to go to jail or go home" ? Denzel's idea. The gunfight in Imperial Courts ? Denzel's idea. The final climax in the jungle ? Denzel's idea. The line "King Kong ain't got shit on me" ? Denzel's idea. The live murder of Alonzo by the russians ? Denzel's idea. Fuqua explained it all in the DVD audio-commentary and in several interviews. To me Training Day was much more Denzel's movie than Fuqua's, just like Raging Bull is much more De Niro's movie than Scorsese's.

But, bottom line, it is a good movie.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » February 23rd, 2006, 12:46 am

Tuco wrote:Ayer wrote his script in 1995, before the Rampart Scandal broke out. But the only substantial bringing from Rampart was coming from Denzel who wanted to look like Perez - not from Ayer, nor from Fuqua.

An important detail, Alonzo was a light skin chicano in the first draft, just like the Jake character. And, from what Ayer said, Alonzo was looking more like a tough veterano, wearing kakis and white t-shirt, than a black OG with leather jacket, silk shirt and jewelry. That's why the producers offered the Alonzo part to Bruce Willis, Gary Sinise and Tom Sizemore in the first place. But none of them felt they can took over such a character. There wasn't yet a latino major star at the time -- It was way before Traffic and Benicio Del Toro wasn't bankable yet, because he would have made a wonderful Alonzo. Because of that, Village Roadshow persuade Ayer to make Alonzo black so they can offer the part to Samuel L. Jackson. But after few negotiations, Jackson dropped the part because he didn't want to portray a street-smart cop after the box-office failure of Shaft. Denzel heard that, so he decided to look for the script and ended up buying it.

For the director's chair, it wasn't Fuqua in the first place but Davis Guggenheim. It was Denzel who brought Fuqua in the project because he felt that a street-smart black director would understand the street-culture better than a hollywood white director (even though Fuqua did a good job, why in the hell he didn't offered the gig to the Hughes Brothers or - let's be crazy - to Big Spike ?). It was also Denzel who reworked intensively many scenes to make them more insane and brought all the major ideas. The Perez look ? Denzel's idea. The look of the Monte Carlo ? Denzel's idea. The two guns ? Denzel's idea. The scene in the shooting gallery ? Denzel's idea. The line "you want to go to jail or go home" ? Denzel's idea. The gunfight in Imperial Courts ? Denzel's idea. The final climax in the jungle ? Denzel's idea. The line "King Kong ain't got shit on me" ? Denzel's idea. The live murder of Alonzo by the russians ? Denzel's idea. Fuqua explained it all in the DVD audio-commentary and in several interviews. To me Training Day was much more Denzel's movie than Fuqua's, just like Raging Bull is much more De Niro's movie than Scorsese's.

But, bottom line, it is a good movie.
If you look at the early drafts of the script and the final draft you can see the changes made that incorporated real events that occurred in 1998 and after. I think that Denzel got many of the ideas from his discussions with people that had alot of knowledge. I have 2 friends that were in the movie, and one that was a consultant and I had many conversations with them about that movie. It was a good movie for real.

Tuco
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tuco » February 23rd, 2006, 8:07 am

^ Yes indeed, the script had some small changes to fit the backdrop of the Rampart scandal. The changes are minors, but they work well. It's mainly in the dialogue in two different scenes :

- When Jake mentions vaguely the scandal on the highway after the gunfight in Imperial Courts.

- The meeting with the 3 wise men where Gursky says : "I do not want you to dick this up and see you on the front page like the other assholes...".

And you're right, Denzel got all his ideas by doing his homework -- something becoming rare in Hollywood. From what I know, he took several things from Cle Sloan, but also from Paul Lozada and Joseph Bannon, two seasoned SFPD veteran, Mike Patterson from LASD and Brian Davis from SIS. It is a great way to work, because very few actors would have done that amount of deep researches to really know their characters - especially if they are bad guys. Denzel really deserved his academy award.

Denzel took so much knowledge from Training Day that he couldn't even use everything on the film. In the interviews he done for the Man on Fire's promo, he said that he used a great deal of the Training Day's researches material for his Creasy character. And I wouldn't be surprised if he'll say that again on the promo tour of Spike Lee's The Inside Man.

Quickdraw
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Does anybody Think Training Day was a Raw ass movie?

Unread post by Quickdraw » March 19th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Purple Dinosaur wrote:they hype up the imperial courts in that movie, i wuz in the imperial courts and the women wuz on my dick str8 up smilin and shit while they sorry ass niggaz just looked on hopelessly , they got some saucy women in the courts thats about it fu-- them mark ass niggaz there

and the nickerson garbage is even funnier i went in that muthafucka and there iz OG niggaz standin in there wearin blue beanies, and some other bitch ass niggaz tryin to mug but they aint gonna do shit while i'm ridin thru they projects all up in every street, i think these mark ass niggaz must be trucin with the flea j's on the under , why else they sportin blue beanies , like i said these niggaz need all the help they can get thats why they got the flea j's posted up in they projects

the jordan downs is the hardest niggaz in there is real and will kill yo bitch ass, that hit up on the wall "gun play" on the 2nd building tells it all
I aint know yall had projects in Los Angeles. It thought those were row houses and shit.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 19th, 2006, 5:33 pm

^ ya it is mostly houses... pj's are in watts, eastside south central (pueblo del rio) and then a bunch of random scattered ones on the e/s and in some other plaecs

but PJ's are everywhere, there's on in Pasadena even

when I first came to america when I was a baby (like 0-3 years) lived in San Pedro, honestly I don't remember it at all and from what I heard I don't want to

I thought about visiting it but it's not there anymore...

There's a bunch of new ones in San Pedro now

loser
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by loser » October 15th, 2006, 8:01 am

I have just watched this movie. It's interesting how a learner becomes more clever than a teacher.

OG Cabrini
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by OG Cabrini » March 21st, 2008, 9:59 pm

Duz anyone know the name of the street that the BPS are on? I think its lockland dr. but not sure

thonkoboy2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Harbor Area

Unread post by thonkoboy2000 » March 24th, 2008, 1:27 pm

one of my favorite movies forsure

leonr
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

monster's book mentioned by director.

Unread post by leonr » April 15th, 2008, 10:34 am

was this mentioned before? when you put the audio ccommentary by director Anthony Fuquia,he mentions he read the book of a gangbanger(monster).

Return to “Film, TV, Footage, Documentaries & Video Games”