Huge Gambino Family Bust

American organized crime groups included traditional groups such as La Cosa Nostra & the Italian Mafia to modern groups such as Black Mafia Family. Discuss the most organized criminal groups in the United States including gangs in Canada.
Forum rules
This section discusses organized crime groups in the US and Canadian street gangs.
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » April 8th, 2008, 4:13 am

Yes, let's get back on topic.

These are the top guys that were involved in the huge bust.

John "Jackie Nose" D'Amico - Acting Boss (Official Boss Peter Gotti is incarcerated)

Domenico "Italian Dom" Cefalu - Acting Underboss (Official Underboss Arnold Squitieri is incarcerated)

Joseph "Jo Jo" Corozzo - Consigliere

Nick "Little Nick" Corozzo - Captain (He was one of the 6 Captains/Acting Captains indicted. However, he was tipped off before he could be picked up and is currently on the run.)

Here is his FBI Wanted Profile - http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/alert/corozzo_n.htm

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » April 8th, 2008, 4:21 am

Added to the Gambino family's problems is associate Lewis Kasman. He was close to John Gotti when the the Dapper Don was alive. Gotti considered him his "adopted son." After Gotti died, however, Kasman fell out of favor with Gambino members as well as members of the Lucchese family. The news was recently released that he has been secretely working for the FBI for the last 10 years.

JohnnyRed
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by JohnnyRed » April 9th, 2008, 6:38 pm

thewestside wrote:Added to the Gambino family's problems is associate Lewis Kasman. He was close to John Gotti when the the Dapper Don was alive. Gotti considered him his "adopted son." After Gotti died, however, Kasman fell out of favor with Gambino members as well as members of the Lucchese family. The news was recently released that he has been secretely working for the FBI for the last 10 years.

This guy looks like he would do something like that huh? He has thta weak willed look. Sort of pussy from the sopranos lol he was doing the same thing working with the fuzz loool

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 10th, 2008, 2:53 am

Westside, I want to ask you a rather stupid question, but my dad in his younger age heard about some mobster from my hometown of Stip, Macedonia in the time of Al Capone called Kiro Cheshman or Chestman. Does it ring any bells?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » April 10th, 2008, 3:08 pm

flame_guards_member1 wrote:Westside, I want to ask you a rather stupid question, but my dad in his younger age heard about some mobster from my hometown of Stip, Macedonia in the time of Al Capone called Kiro Cheshman or Chestman. Does it ring any bells?
Sorry, never heard of him.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 11th, 2008, 9:22 am

thewestside wrote:
flame_guards_member1 wrote:Westside, I want to ask you a rather stupid question, but my dad in his younger age heard about some mobster from my hometown of Stip, Macedonia in the time of Al Capone called Kiro Cheshman or Chestman. Does it ring any bells?
Sorry, never heard of him.
Ah crap. :? :lol:

scyth168

Unread post by scyth168 » April 30th, 2008, 9:55 pm

holy shit man. the gambinos are finished. SHIT!!

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » April 30th, 2008, 11:17 pm

scyth168 wrote:holy shit man. the gambinos are finished. SHIT!!
Not by a long shot.

scyth168

Unread post by scyth168 » May 1st, 2008, 4:23 pm

thewestside wrote:
scyth168 wrote:holy shit man. the gambinos are finished. SHIT!!
Not by a long shot.
well i didnt mean literally FINISHED i just mean that they got seriously hurt by a bust on the boss and damn near everyone else.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 1st, 2008, 7:41 pm

scyth168 wrote: well i didnt mean literally FINISHED i just mean that they got seriously hurt by a bust on the boss and damn near everyone else.
The family's administration and captains will all do time. Most will plea bargain, although I hear that consigliere Joseph Corozzo is planning on representing himself at trial. Probably not a good move on his part. A few other defendants are facing some stiff time for more serious crimes such as murder, drugs, and extortion. But for most of them, it's illegal gambling offenses, which they'll get off with relatively light sentences.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 20th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Plea deals eyed in massive Gambino roundup
BY ANTHONY M. DESTEFANO
May 20, 2008

Brooklyn federal prosecutors are close to wrapping up most of February's massive 62 defendant Gambino crime family indictment with guilty pleas, sources close to the case said Tuesday.

As many as 45 of the reputed Gambino family members and associates charged in the case could take pleas, a development that has come about after prosecutors cut their demands for prison time in some cases by half, according to defense attorneys.

Among those said to be close to accepting a plea bargain is reputed Gambino acting-boss John D'Amico, who could face less than two years in prison, according to a legal source. He had faced more than 10 years if convicted of racketeering.

"At least 45 defendants of 62 have had agreements in principle with the government," defense attorney Alan Futerfas told federal judge Jack B. Weinstein during a conference on the case Tuesday.

"We are 99 percent there," said Futerfas, who represents reputed Gambino member Louis Filippelli.

"We have guarded optimism that this matter will be resolved in soon," said Eric Franz, attorney for Augustus Sclafani, reputed acting captain.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Joey Lipton generally agreed with Futerfas and said that the pace of plea negotiations was moving so well and so fast that it might be unnecessary to have the first trial in the case of five defendants, currently set for June 9.

Two defendants who are not expected to get favorable plea offers are reputed Gambino member Charles Carneglia, who is accused of five murder conspiracies, and fugitive captain Nicholas Corozzo, 68. Corozzo has been on the lam since the February arrest sweep when he eluded federal agents. Lipton wouldn't comment about plea negotiations outside court. Defense attorneys who didn't want to be quoted said that recent revisions in plea offers by the government might have been motivated by a desire to quickly close out cases.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo ... 0959.story

Carmelo_Sicily
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Carmelo_Sicily » May 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Definitely not as big a blow on the Gambinos as we thought...good job to the FBI...that's how I like seeing my tax dollars spent..

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 21st, 2008, 11:47 pm

Carmelo_Sicily wrote:Definitely not as big a blow on the Gambinos as we thought...good job to the FBI...that's how I like seeing my tax dollars spent..
The main guys the feds wanted were the members of the administration (Jackie D'Amico, Dom Cefalu, Joseph Corozzo) and captain Nick Corozzo. The rest were simply there for the taking and even a plea bargain is looked at as a victory for the government. It looks like D'Amico will only do a couple years. I'm not sure about Cefalu. As far as I know, Joseph Corozzo is still planning on going to trial. Of all the defendants, Nick Corozzo has the most serious charges against him, including a number of murders, and is looking at life if convicted. So it may be best for him to stay on the run. The other defendants who are looking at serious charges involving murder are Charles Carneglia and Vincent Gotti. In any event, this is a perfect example of how the mob deals with indictments nowadays - they plea bargain and cut their losses. Genovese members do it all the time.

Carmelo_Sicily
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Carmelo_Sicily » May 22nd, 2008, 3:16 am

The Genoveses have basically made it a policy to take a plea. I mean for the most part they go in for a couple of years and they're already back out. Look at Bellomo he's getting out soon. I'm sure they have some major players in that family. The Colombos have been quiet lately, but I wouldn't doubt if they get hit next.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 22nd, 2008, 5:17 am

Carmelo_Sicily wrote:The Genoveses have basically made it a policy to take a plea. I mean for the most part they go in for a couple of years and they're already back out. Look at Bellomo he's getting out soon. I'm sure they have some major players in that family. The Colombos have been quiet lately, but I wouldn't doubt if they get hit next.
Yeah, a Genovese member hasn't actually gone to trial since Vincent Gigante in 1997. They are usually out in relatively short time. Bellomo is an exception though. He's been in prison since 1997. Each time his release date would come up, the feds would indict him on something else to keep in behind bars. But he took a plea deal just this last year and the judge shortened his sentence so he'll be getting out next year.

I agree, the Colombos are the next family in New York due for a major indictment. Outside of New York, I'd say New England.

Mr.Bungle
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Mr.Bungle » May 25th, 2008, 12:36 am

thewestside wrote:
Carmelo_Sicily wrote:Definitely not as big a blow on the Gambinos as we thought...good job to the FBI...that's how I like seeing my tax dollars spent..
The main guys the feds wanted were the members of the administration (Jackie D'Amico, Dom Cefalu, Joseph Corozzo) and captain Nick Corozzo. The rest were simply there for the taking and even a plea bargain is looked at as a victory for the government. It looks like D'Amico will only do a couple years. I'm not sure about Cefalu. As far as I know, Joseph Corozzo is still planning on going to trial. Of all the defendants, Nick Corozzo has the most serious charges against him, including a number of murders, and is looking at life if convicted. So it may be best for him to stay on the run. The other defendants who are looking at serious charges involving murder are Charles Carneglia and Vincent Gotti. In any event, this is a perfect example of how the mob deals with indictments nowadays - they plea bargain and cut their losses. Genovese members do it all the time.
Dom Cefalu is part of the Zip side of the Gambinos? Do the Zips have a large presense in the Gambinos? The Bonnannos used too have the most Zips,maybe still do since Sal The Ironworker took over,but what about the other families of NY? Do the Zips still consider loyalty to the Italian side over the NY side?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 25th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Mr.Bungle wrote: Dom Cefalu is part of the Zip side of the Gambinos? Do the Zips have a large presense in the Gambinos? The Bonnannos used too have the most Zips,maybe still do since Sal The Ironworker took over,but what about the other families of NY? Do the Zips still consider loyalty to the Italian side over the NY side?
According to felice (a poster on the other forum) the Sicilian faction of the Gambinos number about 200-250 men, mostly interrelated. As they always have, both the Gambinos and Bonannos have large Sicilian factions. Some are made into the American families themselves if they aren't already members of the Sicilian Mafia. If they were made on the other side, that's where their loyalty is. The other three New York families don't seem to have as strong of ties to Sicilian mafiosi. The DeCavalcante and Philadelphia families have also made Sicilian members.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » May 25th, 2008, 2:38 pm

According to felice (a poster on the other forum) the Sicilian faction of the Gambinos number about 200-250 men
When you say the sicilian faction? does this mean an active group of associates who operate in NY? Please explain the sicilian factions with both gambinos and Bonnanos if you could.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » May 25th, 2008, 2:40 pm

"the other forum"?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 25th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Azure9920 wrote:"the other forum"?
I'll send you a PM.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » May 25th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Ok.

Eld

Unread post by Eld » May 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

The Patriarca family also has a smaller number of Sicilian born made members, such as
Nino Cucinotta, Vito DeLuca, Biagio DiGiacomo, Nicolo Leonardi, and I think Antonio Spagnolo.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 27th, 2008, 12:25 am

TeeKay wrote:
When you say the sicilian faction? does this mean an active group of associates who operate in NY? Please explain the sicilian factions with both gambinos and Bonnanos if you could.
Some are members of the Sicilian Mafia, and as such, are a separate organization from American LCN families like the Gambinos or Bonannos, although they maintain both personal and business ties with them. Others are associates of the American LCN families themselves. And still others are made members of the American LCN families. Being as those two families have always had the strongest ties to Sicilian mafiosi, it shouldn't be surprising that right now the Gambino's acting underboss (Dom Cefalu) is Sicilian and the Bonanno's acting boss (Sal Montagna) is Sicilian.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 29th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Fugitive Gambino capo in custody
BY ANTHONY M. DESTEFANO
11:49 AM EDT, May 29, 2008

Nicholas Corozzo, a fugitive since February who is alleged to be a Gambino crime family captain, surrendered Thursday morning to the FBI in Manhattan and is slated to be arraigned in the afternoon.

Corozzo, 67, was wearing a baseball cap as he walked into the federal building in Manhattan in the company of FBI agents, his head down as he tried to avoid news photographers.

Known as "Little Nickie," Corozzo, a resident of Bellmore, will be arraigned at about 2 p.m. in Brooklyn federal court. He faces racketeering charges, including murder conspiracy, in the February indictment of 62 members and associates of the crime family.

The Gambino indictments are starting to result in guilty pleas which many defendants and their attorneys view as good deals with minimal prison time. It is unknown at this time if Corozzo, whose brother Joseph, 66, is also charged in the case, will be offered a plea bargain.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo ... ?track=rss

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 29th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Supposed mob KO falls apart
BY JOHN MARZULLI - DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, May 29th 2008, 4:00 AM

The feds' knockout of the Gambino crime family looks more like a phantom punch.

Reputed boss John (Jackie Nose) D'Amico and reputed underboss Domenico (The Greaseball) Cefalu took a plea deal Wednesday, admitting to a single extortion count, and could end up spending less than two years in prison.

In the last two weeks - and with a June 7 trial date looming - prosecutors dropped their demand that D'Amico plead guilty to racketeering, which carried a more serious penalty, defense lawyer Elizabeth Macedonio said.

D'Amico and Cefalu admitted extorting a $100,000 payment from businessman-turned rat Joseph Vollaro in exchange for permission to sell his Staten Island cement company.

Prosecutors did not object when D'Amico said Vollaro would suffer "economic harm" if he didn't pay up, rather than violence.

Despite great fanfare accompanying last February's indictment of 62 Gambinos, there was no new defection of a high-ranking turncoat, and Vollaro was unable to record conversations with D'Amico, Cefalu or reputed consigliere Joseph (JoJo) Corozzo, a government source acknowledged.

Corozzo is scheduled to plead guilty to a new complaint that drops a drug trafficking charge against him. "Plea [deals] are based on lack of evidence and quality of evidence," Macedonio said.

For aging mobsters like D'Amico, 71; Cefalu, 61, and Corozzo, 66, convictions after trial would have resulted in virtual life sentences. None of the 52 defendants cutting deals faces more than three years in prison.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... apart.html

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » June 1st, 2008, 11:51 pm

Damn thats a lot of small sentences for such a large roundup...

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » June 2nd, 2008, 8:54 am

TeeKay wrote:Damn thats a lot of small sentences for such a large roundup...
A lot of things can happen in jail during a 2 year sentence.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » June 2nd, 2008, 9:22 pm

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
TeeKay wrote:Damn thats a lot of small sentences for such a large roundup...
A lot of things can happen in jail during a 2 year sentence.
Like?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Huge Gambino Family Bust

Unread post by thewestside » June 7th, 2008, 7:22 am

So as it stands now, acting boss Jackie D'Amico will get only 15-33 months with his plea deal. Acting underboss Dominco Cefalu will only get 21 to 27 months with his plea deal. And consigliere Joseph Corozzo just signed a plea deal that will only get him 51 to 63 months. Out of the 87 defendants in the case, at least 52 of them are currently taking plea deals that will get them no more than three years in prison. The only ones who might have to do serious time are the ones facing murder charges - Nick Corozzo, Charles Carneglia, and Vincent and Richard Gotti.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » June 8th, 2008, 3:43 am

Was Carneglia even involved with the Gambinos or OC anymore? The guy looked like a stoned hippie when arrested. I know he murdered a good number of people in the day,but is he still a "friend" of anyone?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » June 9th, 2008, 5:58 pm

paingod wrote:Was Carneglia even involved with the Gambinos or OC anymore? The guy looked like a stoned hippie when arrested. I know he murdered a good number of people in the day,but is he still a "friend" of anyone?
Once a "friend of ours," i.e. a made member, you remain so until you either die or flip. I don't know how active Carneglia has been in recent years but he's facing a number of charges in the indictment, including five murders.

paingod
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by paingod » June 13th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Does Carneglia have other family involved in the NY Mafia? What was he doing since he killed that cop way back when?

Return to “Canada street gangs & US Organized Crime”