Possible Mob Hit in New Jersey

American organized crime groups included traditional groups such as La Cosa Nostra & the Italian Mafia to modern groups such as Black Mafia Family. Discuss the most organized criminal groups in the United States including gangs in Canada.
Forum rules
This section discusses organized crime groups in the US and Canadian street gangs.
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Possible Mob Hit in New Jersey

Unread post by thewestside » May 22nd, 2008, 10:19 pm

DRIVER A 'HIT' VICTIM - SON EYES MOB LINK
By JEANE MacINTOSH and KEVIN FASIK
May 22, 2008

A Bronx man found shot dead execution-style in his Cadillac in a New Jersey parking lot had been a longtime driver for the mob, said friends and family who always had their suspicions.

"I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't know what [crime] family," said the dead man's son, Ralph Marcucci, a 36-year-old Navy veteran.

"I'm even more naive than Anthony Soprano [Jr.]," he said. "I'm Anthony Soprano times Pi [3.14159]."

The body of William Marcucci, 64, was found with a single bullet to the back of the head Tuesday as he sat, still wearing a seatbelt, in his classic green 1999 Cadillac Deville behind a Bennigan's in Saddle River.

Investigators believe he had been killed the previous night.

A "high-ranking law enforcement source" told Jersey's Bergen Record newspaper that Marcucci ran two betting rooms in Manhattan, "dabbled" in loan-sharking and was part of a crew run by alleged Genovese capo Joey "The Eagle" Gatto.

Officially, the victim was a carpenter, but his son said he always suspected his dad used other "tools" besides hammers and nails.

Ralph, who was raised in The Bronx and now lives in Arizona, said his dad was planning to move out West with him after a heart attack two years ago and was selling a classic Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham via eBay for at least "55 large."

"He was going to take that money and move out here with me - and finally be a father to me and a grandfather to my son," said Ralph.

Someone didn't want to see William take the trip.

Investigators believe he was set up, and The Record reported yesterday that William had directions to the parking lot in his possession when his body was found at 3:35 p.m. Tuesday.

William led a quiet life at his home in the Fordham section of The Bronx, but a former neighbor in Bronxdale said the gangland violence was no surprise.

"He was old-time mob - I'm talking old-time," said the longtime pal, who didn't want his name published.

"Maybe that came back to haunt him."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222008/ne ... 112015.htm

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 22nd, 2008, 10:32 pm

This could be the fifth mob hit involving the Genovese family over the last ten years. Soldier Ralph Coppola disappeared in 1998. Massachusetts Captain Adolfo "Big Al" Bruno was killed in 2003. Acting New Jersey Captain Larry Ricci was found in the trunk of a car in 2005. Lucchese Soldier Frank Langano was killed in 2007. And Soldier Rudolph Izzi was found shot to death in his home also in 2007. And now William Marcucci. Incidentally, like Lucchese Soldier Frank Langano, Marcucci was tied to gambling operations overseen by Genovese Captain Joseph Gatto, some of which have been broken up in recent years by law enforcement. The Genovese are widely considered to be the most well run and stable LCN family in the country but they have also been the most active in carrying out hits over the last decade. A sign that they still enforce discipline with the ultimate penalty.

Mr.Bungle
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Mr.Bungle » May 24th, 2008, 11:28 pm

Why would Gatto and the Genovece want this small-timer killed? I could see why Bruno and a few others,but this guy was never even a blip on the radar. How many crews and made members do the Genovece have in Jersey?

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 25th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Mr.Bungle wrote:Why would Gatto and the Genovece want this small-timer killed? I could see why Bruno and a few others,but this guy was never even a blip on the radar. How many crews and made members do the Genovece have in Jersey?
The Genovese family has about 40 members in the state. Captains Tino Fiumara, Larry Dentico, Silvio DeVita, Angelo Prisco, Joseph Gatto, and Ludwig Bruschi all have crews in New Jersey. And, although they are based in New York, crew members of Dominick Cirillo, Matthew Ianniello, Rosario Gangi, and, Alphonse Malangone, and Vincent DiNapoli are also active in the state.

Mr.Bungle
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Mr.Bungle » May 25th, 2008, 9:53 pm

How does the DeCalvacante feel about so much NY activity, and for that matter Philly activity in their hood? Partners,enemies or unable to do anything about it? Isn't there another New Jersey family? Still around?

Carmelo_Sicily
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Carmelo_Sicily » May 26th, 2008, 9:50 pm

The DeCavalcantes really aren't even strong enough to do anything about it. They don't have much left over after their big indictments in 1999 and 2000. The NY Families moved in on everything. They were just kicked out of their union (394 I think). I think all they do is just the regular gambling, loan sharking and extortion right now. They were always given the short end of the stick anyway. Philly has a crew up north but they can't have a crew in the southern part of nj, and they can't make any guys in new york which is another limit to them.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » May 27th, 2008, 12:43 am

Mr.Bungle wrote:How does the DeCalvacante feel about so much NY activity, and for that matter Philly activity in their hood? Partners,enemies or unable to do anything about it? Isn't there another New Jersey family? Still around?
Carmelo_Sicily wrote:The DeCavalcantes really aren't even strong enough to do anything about it. They don't have much left over after their big indictments in 1999 and 2000. The NY Families moved in on everything. They were just kicked out of their union (394 I think). I think all they do is just the regular gambling, loan sharking and extortion right now. They were always given the short end of the stick anyway. Philly has a crew up north but they can't have a crew in the southern part of nj, and they can't make any guys in new york which is another limit to them.

Although the DeCavalcante family is the only indigenous family in New Jersey, many of the New York families (especially the Genovese) have always had a bigger presence there. The DeCavalcantes lost control of Laborers Local 394 but are still very active in the construction industry, as well as traditional rackets like gambling, loansharking, stolen goods, etc. The Philadelphia family's territory has traditionally been in the southern part of the state. However, Atlantic City has been open territory since gambling was legalized there and the New York families have been migrating further south in recent years. Philadelphia doesn't have much of a presence in North Jersey anymore.

Return to “Canada street gangs & US Organized Crime”