New Gambino Boss-Dom Cefalu

American organized crime groups included traditional groups such as La Cosa Nostra & the Italian Mafia to modern groups such as Black Mafia Family. Discuss the most organized criminal groups in the United States including gangs in Canada.
Forum rules
This section discusses organized crime groups in the US and Canadian street gangs.
gornto
If in the United States: New Mexico
What city do you live in now?: Staten Island

New Gambino Boss-Dom Cefalu

Unread post by gornto » July 30th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Wiseguy Sicilian Domenico Cefalu takes reins of Gambino crime family, once ruled by Gottis

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... binos.html?

The new boss of the mob clan once ruled by the late John Gotti is Sicilian-born gangster Domenico Cefalu, an ex-con who lives with his mother.

Sources say Cefalu, 64, has taken the reins of the Gambino crime family - a move that marks a stunning break with the late John Gotti's infamous era.

"I think they picked a Sicilian because they're tired of the old, fat, lazy American Italians who turn into rats," said a law enforcement source.

Cefalu's ascension, first reported by the Gang Land News website, comes at a sensitive time for the crime family - but even more so for the convicted felon. Two fellow gangsters on the family's ruling panel - Bartolemeo (Baboots) Vernace and Daniel Marino - are in jail, leaving Cefalu as the lone made man standing.

Cefalu is also still on supervised release for a 2008 extortion conviction and was warned at his sentencing by Federal Judge Jack Weinstein not to associate with any mobsters.

Cefalu is a low-key wiseguy who couldn't be more different than the flamboyant Gotti.

He lives with his mother in Bensonhurst and says he's a salesman for a baking supply company. He's also served time for a heroin conviction and for refusing to answer questions before a grand jury about his then-captain Pasquale Conte.

Lewis Kasman, the late Gotti's so-called "adopted son," disputed the opinions of law enforcement experts who say Gotti hated Sicilian mobsters.

"I think John was not a fan of [Cefalu] because of his involvement with narcotics," Kasman told the Daily News.

"John always said the Sicilians did the best work."

I also hear from some people i know that John Gambino, Frank Cali, and other zips are getting stronger and are moving into their rackets, like construction, which had belong to american-born wiseguys since the beginning of time. If "greaseball dom" (lol, how charming) can stay out of jail for a few years the gambinos will probably be able to rebound from recent events. This also is the start of a new era of sicilian wiseguys, most of whom are already ruthless killers and good earners due to most of them move heavy amounts of heroin or blow.

-feel free to share your own opinion, how long will this boss last, etc...

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: New Gambino Boss-Dom Cefalu

Unread post by thewestside » July 31st, 2011, 12:05 am

gornto wrote:
I also hear from some people i know that John Gambino, Frank Cali, and other zips are getting stronger and are moving into their rackets, like construction, which had belong to american-born wiseguys since the beginning of time. If "greaseball dom" (lol, how charming) can stay out of jail for a few years the gambinos will probably be able to rebound from recent events. This also is the start of a new era of sicilian wiseguys, most of whom are already ruthless killers and good earners due to most of them move heavy amounts of heroin or blow.

-feel free to share your own opinion, how long will this boss last, etc...
The whole Sicilians taking over theory has been floated for years. A few families have Sicilian factions and some Sicilian members have risen high up in certain families but that's the extent of it. I mean, you could probably almost count them on one hand - Sal Catalano and Sal Montagna for the Bonannos. John Gambino and Dom Cefalu for the Gambinos. Frank Guarraci in Jersey. Stanfa in Philadelphia. And, as another poster recently pointed out, the media also tend to over play their "Sicilianess" as well. For example Montagna came over here when he was a kid and had no connection to the Mafia in Sicily. Guarraci and Cefalu have been in the US for decades and were made into their respective families in 1989 and 1990. Yet the papers make it seem like they these big Sicilian mobsters that just got off the boat and took over.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » July 31st, 2011, 1:25 pm

gornto - check you PM's.

gornto
If in the United States: New Mexico
What city do you live in now?: Staten Island

Unread post by gornto » July 31st, 2011, 3:07 pm

First off thanks westside i realize i left out the "s" last time I typed it... :roll:

Second,
The whole Sicilians taking over theory has been floated for years. A few families have Sicilian factions and some Sicilian members have risen high up in certain families but that's the extent of it. I mean, you could probably almost count them on one hand - Sal Catalano and Sal Montagna for the Bonannos. John Gambino and Dom Cefalu for the Gambinos. Frank Guarraci in Jersey. Stanfa in Philadelphia. And, as another poster recently pointed out, the media also tend to over play their "Sicilianess" as well. For example Montagna came over here when he was a kid and had no connection to the Mafia in Sicily. Guarraci and Cefalu have been in the US for decades and were made into their respective families in 1989 and 1990. Yet the papers make it seem like they these big Sicilian mobsters that just got off the boat and took over.
Statistically, it is going to look as if the media is over inflating the actual power of the sicialians, but what statistics do not show is that there are around 25-30 zips (for gambinos, who i am familiar with) who were made either here or over in italy. I know that the gambinos do not care whether a someone is made in sicily, napoli, or in america... they like to use the sicilians because of their strict following of the rules (i.e. silence). Many sicilian associates are better respected than some soldiers, they are more violent and from what i'm told are the best people to use for dirty businesses such as hookers and importing massive amounts of h. No, statistically there is no proof of how powerful the zips are because most of them are illegal, they don't own any property, they hit the road at the first sight of trouble and are replaced with more fresh off the boat zips. You never here about zips being mixed into normal american based crews, like dan marino or the dimaria crew b/c from what i hear they usually keep to themselves, as most of them dislike americans and/or cannot "espeakedeenglish" :?

icegoodbarbPresident
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by icegoodbarbPresident » August 3rd, 2011, 1:22 pm

Its true with more rats, sicilian guys or zips are more trusted but there have been zips in american mafia families , there have always been large amounts of them since the 70s and 80s with the pizza connection and massive herion importing operations but respect these days has more to do with how you conduct yourself and keeping your mouth closed so there will always be american born wiseguys and zips working in the same family, i don't think the american mafia will be all sicilian guys someday, there are still american wiseguys with massive respect like aniello migliore, joseph ligambi, vincent asaro,daniel marino, matthew ianiello

Return to “Canada street gangs & US Organized Crime”