Father Greg Boyle aka G-DOG

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Impala
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Father Greg Boyle aka G-DOG

Unread post by Impala » January 19th, 2004, 8:51 pm

The only gang intervention program that I've seen with my own eyes work is Father Gregs "Jobs 4 the Future" and "Homeboy Industries" programs. If anyones looking for an out; this good man and his programs can help.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Father Greg Boyle aka G-DOG

Unread post by Noog » February 4th, 2004, 10:53 am

True. Homeboy Industries and Jobs for a Future represent hope and a future. Access to meaningful employment, access into counselling, and finding a path toward a life worth living. He is a good man who heads up a good organisation which saves lives.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » February 4th, 2004, 7:33 pm

keep the info coming in. good lookin' out.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

other options worth checking out

Unread post by Common Sense » February 5th, 2004, 9:53 pm

I don't knw this program personally, but it could be worth checking out if you are from the Long Beach Area.
http://www.ci.long-beach.ca.us
recreation & program (gang prevention)

Recreations & Programs

Gang Prevention

Office of Gang Intervention and Prevention
1550 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Long Beach, California 90813
Office (562) 570-1609 & Fax (562) 570-1946

Hours: Monday - Friday 8a.m. – 5p.m. & Saturdays 9a.m. – 1p.m.
Evening hours available upon request.

ATTITUDE CREW Mon. – Fri., 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. with services available Saturdays, from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Supervised educational program encouraging youth to aspire to such values as leadership and community service. Attitude Crew receives referrals from Juvenile Courts, Los Angeles County Probation Department, and California State Parole Department for juveniles ordered to do community service.

CONFLICT MEDITATION — By request. Gang Intervention/Prevention Outreach Staff will respond to school sites, park sites, and community
organizations to provide direct intervention of immediate crises.

COURT ADVOCACY PROGRAM – By referral in cooperation with the Juvenile Court System. Attitude Crew will assist juveniles and their parents
with a minor who is under court-ordered supervision.

EDUCATIONAL / CAREER / GED COUNSELING By request. Organized for youth, young adults, and individuals who are not attending school and would like to further their education. In conjunction with Long Beach City College, Gang Intervention/Prevention staff will assist individuals in obtaining a G.E.D.(General Education Diploma).

GANGS 101 – Upon request. An in-depth overview of the history of urban street gangs. This presentation is available to schools within and outside of L.B.U.S.D. Also available to churches, community based organizations, and law enforcement agencies.

G. I. P. P. PERFORMING ARTS – GIPP staff work with a variety of local and national entertainment entities that make themselves available to teach youth basic skills in music, dance, and theater arts.

HOME VISITS Upon Request. Gang Intervention / Prevention staff will visit the home to meet with parents and youth to discuss alternatives to gang involvement.

JOB PLACEMENT AND REFERRALS Networking with several agencies throughout the City, we have the capability of placing individuals ages 18 years and older in entry level positions. Workshops are offered in resume writing and job interviewing techniques.

TATTOO REMOVAL PROGRAM By appointment only. “Erase the Past” Tattoo removal program for ages 14-25. Persons over age 25 are referred to the Long Beach Health Department Tattoo Removal Program.

All services available in English, Spanish and Khmer.

For schools, parks, and organizations outside the City of Long Beach, a fee may be required.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

LAUSD JOB TRAINING

Unread post by Common Sense » February 6th, 2004, 5:01 pm

LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

East Los Angeles Skills Center
3921 SELIG PLACE, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90031
(213) 227-0018 FAX (213) 222-2351

PETE FERNANDEZ
Principal

"We are an adult vocational school that provides short-term skills training and job placement enhanced by appropriate academic, personal, and community support programs."

BACKGROUND:

The East Los Angeles Skills Center, established in 1966, provides vocational and academic training and job placement for low income, economically disadvantaged individuals.

RESOURCES:

* ROC (Regional Occupational Center), Adult Division, Los Angeles Unified School District, State of California
* JTPA: City of Los Angeles, County of Los Angeles, Hub Cities Consortium
* AEWC (Alternative Education Work Center), Adult Division, Los Angeles Unified School District, State of California

TARGET POPULATION:

Low income, economically disadvantaged youth and adults. Displaced workers, gang members, at risk youth, unemployment insurance recipients, welfare recipients, teen parents, ex-offenders, homeless.

SERVICES PROVIDED:

* Vocational/Academic Training
* High School Classes/Diploma/GED
* Specialized Job Preparation Classes
* Vocational Counseling
* Gang Prevention Program
* Job Placement
* Vocational and Academic Assessment

COMMUNITY LINKAGE PROVIDED AT SKILLS CENTER:

* El Centro Mental Health
* Los Angeles County Probation Department
* Employment Development Department
* Trade Advisory Councils
* Community Advisory Council
* Esperanza Project
* Big Brothers of America

Philosophy

The East Los Angeles Skills Center provides a unique curricular program which coordinates academic and vocational training. Instruction is designed to improve the student's academic or basic skills competence while simultaneously preparing the student for job specific employment.

The Center is dedicated to promoting personal development, technical skills and economic opportunity in the diverse community it serves. Partnerships with educational, business and community based organizations are intended to support the overall program in enabling the student to realize his/her potential as a productive and contributing member of society.

Mission Statement

We are an adult vocational school that provides short-term skills training and job placement enhanced by appropriate academic, personal, and community support programs.

Major Goals

* Improve business and industry awareness of the Skills Center mission.
* Enhance student employability through the improvement of the curriculum.
* Secure additional ftinding for the Center through networking with government and private sector.
* gang prevention and intervention services. Most of our community partners have staff at our school. They include:

El Centro Mental Health
Los Angeles County Probation Department
California Employment Development Department
Esperanza Project
Big Brothers of America
El Jardin de Ninos Children's Center
Salvation Army
Business industry Representative
Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services
Community Advisory Council

* Corporate support for our students and programs. Active trade advisory councils are in place for each of our programs. This support has allowed us to stay in contact with local employers to continuously update course content, and equip classes with modern technology. Several industries have flinded entire classes, including the instructor's salary. Others have purchased entire learning labs for our students. Some provide part-time work for our students during training. Close contact with business has allowed us to diversity over the years to meet the changing needs of the work force. At present, we have a particular emphasis on advanced electronics, construction inspection, and the entertainment industry.

* A dedicated staff. East Los Angeles Skills Center staff members are closely tied to the students, their needs and the community. Consequently, our staff makes school much more accessible for students.

SCHOOL DESCRIPTION

The East Los Angeles Skills Center offers a unique curricular program in the coordination of both academic study and employment training. This is designed to improve the student's academic or basic skills, particularly in language arts and mathematics, while simultaneously preparing the student with a job specific skill. The Skills Center is dedicated to providing the community with employment preparation that meets industry standards and reflects the latest technology. This quality training program coupled with a close relationship to the local business community has resulted in a consistently outstanding job placement rate.

Along with vocational and academic instruction the students are offered on site community resources including social, Probation and Employment Development services, as well as, marital, family, psychological and substance abuse counseling.

Situated in a changing community, the East Los Angeles Skills Center serves a population which may best be described as "at risk". The unemployment rate in the area is near 40% and 40% of the residents receive welfare benefits; nearly 40% are single parents; 25% ex-offenders; and the school dropout rate in the area is 45%. Primarily a minority area, residents are 80% Hispanic, 10% Asian, 5% black and 5% other.

The East Los Angeles Skills Center has developed a strong partnership with local community agencies, community leaders, parent groups, advisory members and area businesses to provide resources, services and flill employment for its students and to develop a genuine involvement with the community at large.

All classes are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Funded in part by Los Angeles City, Los Angeles County and Hub Cities PlC JTPA.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » February 11th, 2004, 10:29 am

Nice one, that sounds like common sense! Check the Homeboy Industry site on the net too, easy to find on any search engine and pure positivity. Just love hope, l got it like an incurable infection!

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » March 2nd, 2004, 8:41 pm

Homeboy Industries is a great place, they have a greay tattoo removal program and they have one site counselors there, great place.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 15th, 2004, 9:05 pm

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED

1. Career Resources For Gang Members
( a little outdated but still has good stuff)
http://www.arborrow.net/gangs

2. Wathen Foundation Riverside, Ca.
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaane ... _gang.html

3. RFK Medical Center Gang Intervention Program, San Pedro, CA.
(310) 349-4009

4. Intervention Program (Sheriffs Dept), Utah
http://www.slsheriff.org/html/org/metrogang/refer.html

Jtusi

Unread post by Jtusi » August 29th, 2006, 7:26 pm

I just finished reading G-Dog and the Homeboys, it seems like Fr. Boyle is truly a miracle en los barrios. The novel is probably the closest thing to a window I have of the L.A. street scene, I can still see how lucky the area is to have him though. I may be far away, but that doesn't mean I can't pray for you all out there. Good Luck, there's always a way out.

Paz y Amor.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » September 7th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Impala wrote:The only gang intervention program that I've seen with my own eyes work is Father Gregs "Jobs 4 the Future" and "Homeboy Industries" programs. If anyones looking for an out; this good man and his programs can help.
Best program ever

Annabelle

Unread post by Annabelle » September 7th, 2006, 6:30 pm

I just met Father Greg and visited the facility. It's pretty awesome and all the ex gang members were very open and honest with my son about what they've been through, what they regret and how this program helped them change.

Too bad there isn't more programs like this all over the country.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 8th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Annabelle wrote:I just met Father Greg and visited the facility. It's pretty awesome and all the ex gang members were very open and honest with my son about what they've been through, what they regret and how this program helped them change.

Too bad there isn't more programs like this all over the country.
How did your son react/ take all this in??? Can you tell if it made an impact on him? You are a hell of a mom Annabelle.....so many parents just let their kids go.

Annabelle

Unread post by Annabelle » September 9th, 2006, 8:05 am

He didn't react much at all. I took his friend as well, his friend was shot two weeks ago in Lawndale during a drive by. When I dropped off his friend, he thanked me for taking him and said he learned something. When I asked my son why he didn't seem to think it was a big deal that his friend was shot, he told me that people get shot all the time and that it's no big deal. He told me that I don't "understand" what it's like out on the streets. I told him that is because I chose not to put myself in that position but I just took him to people who do understand. He then told me that he's sick and tired of me being on his ass about this every day and to stop talking to him because I was starting a fight. My blood began to boil and I shut my mouth. He went up to his room and I didn't see him the rest of the night. When I came home from work yesterday he was here with his friend who was shot and this other kid who I know is in a gang. He told me he wanted to go to the high school football game but his friends didn't want to go. His dad came and picked all three of them up. I called his dad before he got here and told him to keep a close eye on the kids because kid no. 3 is a known gang member. He said he wasn't going to let them out of the house. I handed him a package of their myspace profiles and messages to each other where they talk about stealing guns and shooting people, pictures of them posing with a gun and flashing gang signs. He has seen these things before but I thought I'd put it all together and give him a copy. I also printing out some of the articles that Common Sense posted up here. All I can hope for is that having it in black and white in front of his face will change his attitude about what is happening with our son. Unfortunately, he's not a very smart man.

I want to move to Boulder, CO, he won't let me take my son. He doesn't seem to think that a change in environment would do my son any good. My son is obviously a follower. None of this makes sense. My son has grown up going to the beach and on surf trips. Sometime during junior high he met these kids who live in Lawndale but were going to Redondo schools on permits. Some of these kids come from families who are all gang members and that's when my son became "interested" or whatever you want to call it. His dad lives in Lawndale, so when he would go to his dad's on the weekend he was hanging out with these kids and their older brothers. And it has just progressed and gotten worse, especially in the past year.

Last year he and his friends were claiming "latin kings" -- my son got beat up pretty bad and suffered a fractured cheekbone. So, he stopped claiming LK and started "gang shopping" -- he doesn't even know enough about it to know how much danger he's putting himself in. However, since he thinks he knows it all, I am of course "stupid" and "don't understand."

Sorry about the rant. All of this has me worried (although that word doesn't really express how I feel).

I'm trying to find out as much as I possibly can and use any possible resources to get through to him. To me this isn't "just a phase" it's a death sentence.

ok, I'll stop now. sorry 'bout that!

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » September 9th, 2006, 8:37 am

I don't think moving is going to fix the problem. I taught in a suburban school where lots of families moved to escape the inner city problems, and the problems just followed the kids because they hadn't changed at all. For some, it helps. because it gives them the chance to start over, but for most, they just start over as a "new problem" for another area.

Granted, there may be less opportunity there to do the things that he's doing now, but he is still going to stay in contact with his current friends and contacts, and if his father still lives in the area, as soon as he visits his father (if he lets him leave) he'll be back in the same pattern.

It's so hard to deal with this because you just want tp peel there half-shut eyes open, but you can't. You obviously know that this is his choice, but how can you help him make the right choice?

Yes, people get shot every day, that is why you ACTIVELY put yourself in a position NOT to get shot, and that generally means not banging.

What does his dad think about the gang activitiy? Does he have a good relationship with his father?

Has he read any books? It's sounds like YOU are doing the research, but your son isn't.

I think someone already said it, but I'm going echo it: I wish more parents are doing what you are doing. I also want to you to remember that these are your SON'S choices and don't let anyone make you feel guilty for that.

You may have already answered these questions elsewhere - if so, just direct me to the thread.In any case, I think you should keep on doing what you are doing and remind your son daily that you love him.

Annabelle

Unread post by Annabelle » September 9th, 2006, 10:15 am

I'm not sure what his dad thinks about it. He was upset the first time I brought it to his attention and then we didn't hear from him for a week and he hasn't said anything about it since. I think he just likes to bury his head and pretend it's not happening, or it's not as bad as it really is.

All the research I'm doing now is recent. I've found a lot of information just from this site and plan on getting the books that have been recommended here. I'll start with Father Greg's book and maybe since my son actually met the man, he'll read it.

My concern is that I'll push him too hard and he'll rebel even more. It's a fine line, but I'm tired of walking on egg shells around him. A couple of months ago I put my foot down with him and he took off for two days and wouldn't answer his cellphone. I called the police and the Redondo police wouldn't help me, however the Lawndale Sherrif were very helpful and gave me a starting point for all the action I'm taking now.

He'll do stuff like this and then come home and be on his best behavior for a couple of weeks and then it all starts up again.

His relationship with his father isn't much really. He sees his dad every other weekend, despite the fact his dad is home from work by 4, he doesn't come pick him up. Instead he points his finger at me and says its all my fault because I don't get home from work until 7. He's always been one to take minimal responsibility, that way if something goes wrong, he's not responsible and he puts it all off on me and tells me that I'm not doing a good enough job with my son. Honestly, I am at a point now where I feel his dad is completely ineffective and I can't even have a conversation with him without it blowing up into a huge argument. When that happens he tells me "look at you, you're all upset and unable to have a decent conversation" --- that happens after he tells me all the things he thinks I do wrong, while he sits on his fat ass and does NOTHING.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 9th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Annabelle wrote:He didn't react much at all. I took his friend as well, his friend was shot two weeks ago in Lawndale during a drive by. When I dropped off his friend, he thanked me for taking him and said he learned something. When I asked my son why he didn't seem to think it was a big deal that his friend was shot, he told me that people get shot all the time and that it's no big deal. He told me that I don't "understand" what it's like out on the streets. I told him that is because I chose not to put myself in that position but I just took him to people who do understand. He then told me that he's sick and tired of me being on his ass about this every day and to stop talking to him because I was starting a fight. My blood began to boil and I shut my mouth. He went up to his room and I didn't see him the rest of the night. When I came home from work yesterday he was here with his friend who was shot and this other kid who I know is in a gang. He told me he wanted to go to the high school football game but his friends didn't want to go. His dad came and picked all three of them up. I called his dad before he got here and told him to keep a close eye on the kids because kid no. 3 is a known gang member. He said he wasn't going to let them out of the house. I handed him a package of their myspace profiles and messages to each other where they talk about stealing guns and shooting people, pictures of them posing with a gun and flashing gang signs. He has seen these things before but I thought I'd put it all together and give him a copy. I also printing out some of the articles that Common Sense posted up here. All I can hope for is that having it in black and white in front of his face will change his attitude about what is happening with our son. Unfortunately, he's not a very smart man.

I want to move to Boulder, CO, he won't let me take my son. He doesn't seem to think that a change in environment would do my son any good. My son is obviously a follower. None of this makes sense. My son has grown up going to the beach and on surf trips. Sometime during junior high he met these kids who live in Lawndale but were going to Redondo schools on permits. Some of these kids come from families who are all gang members and that's when my son became "interested" or whatever you want to call it. His dad lives in Lawndale, so when he would go to his dad's on the weekend he was hanging out with these kids and their older brothers. And it has just progressed and gotten worse, especially in the past year.

Last year he and his friends were claiming "latin kings" -- my son got beat up pretty bad and suffered a fractured cheekbone. So, he stopped claiming LK and started "gang shopping" -- he doesn't even know enough about it to know how much danger he's putting himself in. However, since he thinks he knows it all, I am of course "stupid" and "don't understand."

Sorry about the rant. All of this has me worried (although that word doesn't really express how I feel).

I'm trying to find out as much as I possibly can and use any possible resources to get through to him. To me this isn't "just a phase" it's a death sentence.

I was'nt to heavy involved with street gangs so to speak when I was growing up...till not so very long ago (in the big picture). I was involved in numerous other dangerous activities from using drugs to participating in the manufacturing of them. I carried a firearm, I ran with motorcycle gangs. My poor mother tried to get me help on many occasions and I was just not interested. No matter what she did or said I did it my way. My way landed me in prison. Sometimes no matter what a parent says or does a kid is dead set on what he wants even though they dont have aclue what they are doing to their lives and the danger they are putting themselves in. I was hoping to hear your son had recieved the intervention better than what you are saying. Its hard to know where the fine line is on what pushes them away and what they are willing to hear. You are doing the best you can and I encourage you to not give up. I am not so sure the moving would be a good idea, there are gangs everywhere and moving to a new place might do more harm than good. It may force him into a situation where he feels he has to find a gang to join being a new kid in a new place as a support system. thats a hard call though. Let me see if I can find another parent on here that is more knowledgable about the types of issues you are facing.

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » September 23rd, 2006, 4:42 am

Homeboy Industries has helped so many gang members and their loved ones in a postive step in the right direction.I give them much props.Great thread BTW:-).Theres a need for more progrmas like Father Gregs all over the USA:-)

http://www.homeboy-industries.org/

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 23rd, 2006, 5:48 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Annabelle wrote:He didn't react much at all. I took his friend as well, his friend was shot two weeks ago in Lawndale during a drive by. When I dropped off his friend, he thanked me for taking him and said he learned something. When I asked my son why he didn't seem to think it was a big deal that his friend was shot, he told me that people get shot all the time and that it's no big deal. He told me that I don't "understand" what it's like out on the streets. I told him that is because I chose not to put myself in that position but I just took him to people who do understand. He then told me that he's sick and tired of me being on his ass about this every day and to stop talking to him because I was starting a fight. My blood began to boil and I shut my mouth. He went up to his room and I didn't see him the rest of the night. When I came home from work yesterday he was here with his friend who was shot and this other kid who I know is in a gang. He told me he wanted to go to the high school football game but his friends didn't want to go. His dad came and picked all three of them up. I called his dad before he got here and told him to keep a close eye on the kids because kid no. 3 is a known gang member. He said he wasn't going to let them out of the house. I handed him a package of their myspace profiles and messages to each other where they talk about stealing guns and shooting people, pictures of them posing with a gun and flashing gang signs. He has seen these things before but I thought I'd put it all together and give him a copy. I also printing out some of the articles that Common Sense posted up here. All I can hope for is that having it in black and white in front of his face will change his attitude about what is happening with our son. Unfortunately, he's not a very smart man.

I was'nt to heavy involved with street gangs so to speak when I was growing up...till not so very long ago (in the big picture). I was involved in numerous other dangerous activities from using drugs to participating in the manufacturing of them. I carried a firearm, I ran with motorcycle gangs. My poor mother tried to get me help on many occasions and I was just not interested. No matter what she did or said I did it my way. My way landed me in prison. Sometimes no matter what a parent says or does a kid is dead set on what he wants even though they dont have aclue what they are doing to their lives and the danger they are putting themselves in. I was hoping to hear your son had recieved the intervention better than what you are saying. Its hard to know where the fine line is on what pushes them away and what they are willing to hear. You are doing the best you can and I encourage you to not give up. I am not so sure the moving would be a good idea, there are gangs everywhere and moving to a new place might do more harm than good. It may force him into a situation where he feels he has to find a gang to join being a new kid in a new place as a support system. thats a hard call though. Let me see if I can find another parent on here that is more knowledgable about the types of issues you are facing.
The person I had in mind never responded. My apologies.

ARomo11
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Denver

Unread post by ARomo11 » November 13th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Wow, I just found this thread and this was me posting! Unfortunately, my son did end up in prison a week after he turned 18. He was in for 2.5 years, paroled and was out for a year and he's back in now. The biggest difference between before he went in and now is he is even deeper in the gang culture, totally brainwashed, has completely lost his own identity and I fear he is also "institutionalized." My heart is broken.

I did end up moving him out to Colorado and he was doing great. He finished high school early and was going to college fulltime at age 17. He visited his dad during Christmas that year (2008) and his friend was killed by another gang. It spun my son out, he returned home after that winter break and was a mess. So angry. I tried to get him help and nothing was working. He turned 18 and bought a plane ticket back to California for spring break and within a week he was in jail and then off to prison. He was released in 2011 and again was doing well, back in college, etc. But then he started hanging out with those same old friends, starting using drugs and now he's back in. He's 21 now. I still can't wrap my mind around how he ended up in a gang, he actually wasn't jumped into the gang until after he was released from prison in 2011. It made no sense to me. He had everything, a place to live, a car, his tuition was covered, a supportive family, EVERYTHING.

Reading the things I wrote back in 2006 is mind blowing. So much a part of me was in denial but what is on the screen in front of me here, obviously I wasn't as clueless as I perceived myself to be.

*Sigh*

As a mother, the grief is unbearable. The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that at least he's still alive and where there is life, there is hope.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”