The Los Angeles gang intervention and peace movement

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

The Los Angeles gang intervention and peace movement

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 22nd, 2013, 9:45 am

Since my first introduction to this forum their has been some miraculous accomplishments made in the streets of L.A.
There has been many peace agreements, treaties and accords among a lot of the people whom on behalf of their various communities had a vision of civility and peace for their communities.
As some of you may remember when I had 1st began to post on this forum there was a war going on in my Neighborhood that had been going on for more than 3 decades that had claimed a multitude of lives (whether they be dead or in prison serving life sentences).
Somewhere in time room has been made for diplomacy which is interesting since it did not seem possible (going back 5 years or further).
I personally am a major supporter of the peace movement and have been at the table not only as a delegate for Rollin' 20's Neighborhood Bloods, but also as a representative for 2nd C.A.L.L.
What do you think of the gang intervention peace movement in L.A. is it working?

FYI= DO YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GANG INTERVENTION WORKER AND AN INTERVENTIONIST?
GANG INTERVENTION WORKERS ARE EMPLOYED BY VARIOUS PROGRAMS THAT ARE FUNDED LIKE THE OFFICE OF G.RY.D. OR AMER-ICAN PROGRAM.

INTERVENTIONIST BELIEVE IN THE MOVEMENT TO THE EXTENT THAT THE LITERALLY VOLUNTEER THEIR SERVICE SUCH AS MYSELF.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Re: The Los Angeles gang intervention and peace movement

Unread post by Sentenza » March 22nd, 2013, 9:51 am

As far as i know crime has been on a historic low throughout the US, correct me if i am wrong.

Do you think those trends in Los Angeles are related to that and if so what do you think is the reason for it?

Or do you think those achievements have been made through gang interventionist work in Los Angeles and surrounding areas?

I read one theory that crime is so low because the drug market is not as flourishing as it used to be in the 90s, Crack, which destroyed inner city communities and many families in the US through trade and consumption, isnt as important anymore etc.
Do you believe there is any truth to that?

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 22nd, 2013, 12:50 pm

Demographics are different from place to place but the drug market in L.A. is a seperate entity from gang life.
Every drug dealer is not a gang member & every gang member is not a drug dealer.
Crack cocaine is simply government agitation on behalf of the U.S.
It provided a lots of money in the streets but nothing compared to what the government made.
Remember cocaine is not grown in the ghettos of the U.S. & gang memebers do not fly the planes with tons of cocaine on them.
The real reason the homicide rate is down in L.A. is because there are a lot of reputable members steppin' up to provide their setts with representation, everyone does not want to fight & die, but if thats all you know that's all you do.
Crack was just a smokescreen, because you have never heard about there being a war on the military issued weapons that were made available to the streets.
I hope I was able to answer your question.

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 22nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

I forgot to say it was truly horrorific that all those kids were killed in Sandyhook, but kids have been being gunned down in South Central L.A. & other impoverished communities, like Chicago for decades.
I don't want to throw things off topic by mentioning race, but The messed up thing is it took a mass shooting to happen in their back yard (to people that look like them) for them to now want to pass a nationwide assault weapons ban, but no one took it into consideration as long as the violence was isolated to the inner cities & blacks were just killing other blacks.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » March 22nd, 2013, 1:18 pm

Gang Bangin is coming to an end.

I say this for a few reasons.

The demographic shift has depleted the pool for recruitment.

The economic noose has been loosen for the new generations so opportunities are wide open.

The new generation is climbing the economic latter because their more educated then the past generations.

The angry black man is becoming an extinct dinosaur.

The flip side, the other kids aren't interested in gangs and putting in work.

It's all about Sex Drugs and Rap. They chasing money to party, to get pussy, to get high off Molly, powder and meth. Killing over a Neighborhood is the last thing on there mind.

Internal wars within gangs has broke down their moral, their loyalty and any live for theOld NNeighborhood. It has scattered members in every direction.

That's why all these funny alliances are possible now a day's. Movin Groovin Suwoopn...

It's the signs of a decline. Shit has ran its course. The violence couldnr sustain. The trend is over. Hollywood used to all up, over exposed it, chewed it up spit it out..

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » March 22nd, 2013, 1:22 pm

MaddRonald wrote:Demographics are different from place to place but the drug market in L.A. is a seperate entity from gang life.
Every drug dealer is not a gang member & every gang member is not a drug dealer.
Crack cocaine is simply government agitation on behalf of the U.S.
It provided a lots of money in the streets but nothing compared to what the government made.
Remember cocaine is not grown in the ghettos of the U.S. & gang memebers do not fly the planes with tons of cocaine on them.
The real reason the homicide rate is down in L.A. is because there are a lot of reputable members steppin' up to provide their setts with representation, everyone does not want to fight & die, but if thats all you know that's all you do.
Crack was just a smokescreen, because you have never heard about there being a war on the military issued weapons that were made available to the streets.
I hope I was able to answer your question.
Yep, thanks, i was just wondering what fuels the dynamics of that kind of violence and what exactly slows it down.
Like whats different now compared to the 80s and 90s. But i guess many people matured out of it or drew their conclusions after so many years.
From an outsiders perspective like mine drugs always seem to play a very important role. At least they played a central role in the desintegration of social/family structures as i experienced it.....
But i know the whole crack cocaine history is bigger than life and involves government corruptuion and international politics too.
As far as the assault weapons are concerned, i am guessing society didnt give two shits as long as it where "gehtto children" killing each other. Unfortunately these double standards and that kind of cynicism is pretty common in mainstream society, all over the world.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » March 22nd, 2013, 8:28 pm

the next movement will be among the Hispanic gangs if they can ever break that strangle hold.

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 22nd, 2013, 8:37 pm

Yea like I said there are reputable OG's at the table maintaining agreements between warring setts. The respect that the OG's have grants them what we call an LTO (license to operate) on behalf of the hood. In my area I was delegated to assume that position but that was partially due to my level of respect from everybody & I am one the has Ia great understanding of the politics & diplomacy that goes with being at the table. Only those who needed to know knew what was going on with us & the 30'.s behind closed doors. No news, no announcements, no photo ops, & no under the table pay offs.
To understand the urban subculture is to know the internal workings.
The gangs will never perish, even those that are on the front line don't know the level of politics that they are caught up in.
Never forget the masses are led by the few.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » March 23rd, 2013, 6:18 am

Gangs are persishing at rapid rate bro.shit Alonso has a defunct list.

Geers abandon their hood, they on nomad status like 1st ECC. The Eastside Sets are struggling to exist. Westside is feeling too. The Crenshaw District is the last Black Stronghold Population wise and Politically.

Just go over the landscape, u see defunct gangs, inactive areas all threw Los Angeles. A lot of Black Sets been pushed to the margins by the New Population.

I don't give these gang interventionist any credit for the decline.

They been had these non profit orgs going since the Long Table back in the 1970s.

The Gang World got Water Down over the factors I mention, outside forces the interventionist have no hand in.

Gangs are playing out. It don't have that appeal to the youth like it did in the1970s-90s.....

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 23rd, 2013, 7:58 am

The interventionist are instrumental in the decline in crime from what it was 20 years ago to what it is now there has never been the activism that that exist now. I don't think gangs will ever go anywhere. Although some will cease to regenerate, there are others that will flourish & grow & others that will develope.
Although there are a lot of defunct hoods, but there is no telling how many hoods have started since their demise. I recall 30 years ago ppl saying gang bangin was gonna play out, since that time I have seen how self sufficient & self sustaining gangs are. Even though crack is drying up, it does not matter. When I became a member in the 70's, crack did not exist. The thing that brought us together so tight was the fact that we were broke together. If you ever noticed my hood is & always has been a broke hood with very few major drug dealers, but the 20's hold their own.
2 great elements of the L.A. gang member is influence across the U.S. & adaptability.
Alonso is the gang expert I am pretty sure he can verify gangs have been here forever & are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » March 23rd, 2013, 8:05 am

MaddRonald wrote: Alonso is the gang expert I am pretty sure he can verify gangs have been here forever & are not going anywhere anytime soon.
The oldest known US Gangs date back to the 1800s as far as i know...On a worldwide scale there have been gangs 2000 years ago, some of them even identifying with colors, back when Cesar was kicking up dust...

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 23rd, 2013, 10:50 am

Gang interventionist are the least appreciated but do the most difficult task.
There is so much going on behind the scenes in L.A. ppl would not believe it if I began to tell it. The police and the politicians are not able to do what intervention workers do.
As a great example from me being @ the table with the 30's in 09 there has notbeen a shooting since then. Now this is the power of all that I would like someone to tell me how many lives did that effort save? & remember it is 5 years later how far does respect go & who else was able to get that kind of results?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 23rd, 2013, 11:01 am

xxx wrote:Gangs are persishing at rapid rate bro.shit Alonso has a defunct list.

Geers abandon their hood, they on nomad status like 1st ECC. The Eastside Sets are struggling to exist. Westside is feeling too. The Crenshaw District is the last Black Stronghold Population wise and Politically.

Just go over the landscape, u see defunct gangs, inactive areas all threw Los Angeles. A lot of Black Sets been pushed to the margins by the New Population.

I don't give these gang interventionist any credit for the decline.

They been had these non profit orgs going since the Long Table back in the 1970s.

The Gang World got Water Down over the factors I mention, outside forces the interventionist have no hand in.

Gangs are playing out. It don't have that appeal to the youth like it did in the1970s-90s.....

Gangs may fade in one place but the re-emerge in another place. There are several factors that create gangs and those factors ain't going away, so gangs ain't going anywhere. In certain black neighborhoods, gangs have been defunct due to demographic shifts, but others gangs will still be present.

I recall several times over the years gangs were playing out, but they have been in the US since cities were urbanized in the early 1800s, been 200 years in the US and most like will be here for hundreds more years in some form.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » March 23rd, 2013, 1:03 pm

Gang Interventionist have Zero pull among active gang members. They are viewed as Rats working with the Police and Mayor. They have to Give incident reports to the government in order to recieve funding. These activist have more pull on the squares and wannbes....and that's not saying much

The World has changed kids aren't marginalized Luke before, the same forces that help foster LA gangs don't exist. Too many different lanes these kids cam choose now..

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » March 23rd, 2013, 1:17 pm

The 20 v 30 War was watered down before yall talked in 2009.

Gang Wars in L.A as we knew it don't exist and javent for a long time.

The last Gang wars where mostly Racial, that was the nail in the coffin.

There used to be Citywide gang wars all going on at once. Now they're minor flare up that don't last a week, back and forth ononsight are rare if at all.

Last Gang Wars

F13 v ECC

ECC v GSW was a one sided embarrassment

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 23rd, 2013, 3:00 pm

Check your statistics, the reason I was called into the room was because the day before I got the call, one of the 30's was shot several times in the chest and if I am not mistaken was on life support & in retaliation they had killed a civilian on Sugar Hill.
The reality is everybody was mounting up getting ready to go live & the greater minds came together and started working it out before it got worse.
I don't know your perspective as an outsider, but I be in the on the ground with it from the community meetings, to the 2nd CALL meetings, to the unspoken of hood meetings after I have come to terms with an agenda and I have to articulate the info to my ppl that I have gathered elsewhere.
If you know the body count between the 20's & 30's you know thats decades of genocide.
I guess you would not understand that sitting behind a keyboard, but the first rule of debate is to agree to disagree, & you are entitled to your own opinion.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » March 23rd, 2013, 3:58 pm

Were Both Behind a Keyboard bro, so i dont know what your trying to say.

20 v 30, 60 v 83 or what ever Old School War you want to point to, has been watered down for a decade, if not more. and there was no Activist insight while this shit was declining. So all this coming to the table now, reminds me of the Gladiator Movie when the Romans was smashing the barbarians in Germany, after the War was over, the Prince in shining Armor showed up on a White Horse and jumped off like, where they at?. The King said kick back its all over!

Watts is the Capital for Gang Intervention. That shit was a gimick, when ever the kids wanted to start Shooting, no OG or Activist could stop it....i give more credit to drugs, these kids are too high to be doing anything......

Shit Slow down because the 3 strike laws,gang enhancements, gang injunctions, the latino population diluted the black population minimizing the chances of black expansion and recruitment and nature causes, the level of vilonce cant sustain, it peek in 1992 and been sliding down every since, niggas got burnt out, shit ran its course, niggas reloctaed to Lancster, Moreno Valley and Vegas leaving a Void, the youths focus has shifted to other trends.....Hustling, Sports, College....Gang Activst are oppurtunist milking the system, lets keep it 100 i know how this shit works, Spook the Politicians into believing they stopping something so they start throwing money at the problem, but they stopping nadda!

MaddRonald
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MaddRonald » March 23rd, 2013, 4:46 pm

I volunteer I'm not on any payroll, I am part of a group that does not get any funding because the government tries to dictate the agenda once you take their money. If that was the case I would not be working or going to school, I would just kick back & get paid for being in the hood. Being an interventionist is not something I just discovered, I have been involved for almost 13 years & I have never received money for my efforts.I don't deal with shady politicians either.My deal is I am one of those who helped make the mess & I owe it to my ppl to go back in & help clean up that mess.
I am a father & a grandfather, but I am also a Blood, I tell my young homies, just because they are Bloods does not make them criminals, at the same time I choose to lead by example, by showing them how they should demonstrate & delegate the politics, because there are still guns out there that are being fired.
Now for those out there exploiting the I can't speak for them, & if there is any money going to West Adams for gang intervention or prevention, it must be going to the schools & police.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 27th, 2013, 12:02 am

Intervention and prevention is an extremely difficult phenomena to measure and quantify. Yeah, shit has gotten watered down, but you can't point to how and why? If an intervention strategy prevented a few YGs from being with the business one night, you can say that one or two persons lives may have been saved, but at the end of the year you dont see that in the stats.

I think seeing a bunch of OGs form various hoods intermingling with each other like brothers has had an unmeasurable impact on the generations that followed to where aint as many youngsters with the business, especially during that last decade. Can't disregard the work that many people on the front line have been doing. I think it certainly has an impact.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key

Unread post by ViciousRidah » April 2nd, 2013, 7:10 pm

xxx wrote:Gang Bangin is coming to an end.

I say this for a few reasons.

The demographic shift has depleted the pool for recruitment.

The economic noose has been loosen for the new generations so opportunities are wide open.

The new generation is climbing the economic latter because their more educated then the past generations.

The angry black man is becoming an extinct dinosaur.

The flip side, the other kids aren't interested in gangs and putting in work.

It's all about Sex Drugs and Rap. They chasing money to party, to get pussy, to get high off Molly, powder and meth. Killing over a Neighborhood is the last thing on there mind.

Internal wars within gangs has broke down their moral, their loyalty and any live for theOld NNeighborhood. It has scattered members in every direction.

That's why all these funny alliances are possible now a day's. Movin Groovin Suwoopn...

It's the signs of a decline. Shit has ran its course. The violence couldnr sustain. The trend is over. Hollywood used to all up, over exposed it, chewed it up spit it out..
I don't think there is any economic mobility within the black community as of right now, that's why you have so many blacks putting their houses on the market. Some are just figuring were to spend their dollars wisely.

An the kids these days are very hot headed and bratty, especially when they think they can pull of being a gangsta wearing mohawks and loud color jeans,so its still the same angry black man with a new twist.

Bangin of the old is on a decline, but we don't know how its morphing, especially with all these hybrid gangs from Bs andCs, you also have bangers setting up camp in other areas to make extensions of their hood.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”