Prevention at school

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Prevention at school

Unread post by Anesis » April 29th, 2005, 5:48 pm

Are there any programs that have been effective in keeping kids out of gangs?

The answer that I hear the most is after-school programs and athletics, but in most of those programs, you have to keep your grades up in order to play. Most at-risk students are either failing or in danger of failing, and will easily give up and drop out of the program at the first sign of resistance.

At my school, we have a step team which a lot of the at-rish students are interested in, but since it is a competitive team, not all can join. Plus, the teacher who coaches it is a wacko and she has no control over what those kids do. They walk all over her.

I teach in a suburban school that is only three years old. Our population is quickly changing due to all the families that are moving out of the urban gang ridden schools in an attempt to escape, and the kids are only bringing their baggage with them.

My parents either mean well and ride their kids or they HATE teachers. They generally hate the teachers because the school is calling all the time with negative reports.

I was thinking of some sort of rap or flow group, but it's a kinda cheesy idea and I don't know the first thing about rap/hip hop.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Prevention at school

Unread post by North Face » April 30th, 2005, 5:08 pm

It starts by acting up as a mentor and being able to communicate by listening to what people gotta express. My cousin for instance had followed my foot steps when dealing with alcohol and told him some negative paths which led me to prison. Just speak out and tell them what you feel because those who listen dont mind and those who mind dont matter.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » May 1st, 2005, 6:47 pm

So you don't think there is much else that can really be done other than just letting people express themselves?

I thin kthe best thing that I have used in my class is group discussions (once they get comfortable) and journals. If they don't want me to grade or comment on thr journal, they just write the international NO sign with my name in it. I still read the comments, but they don't get in trouble for what they write. Once they realize that they won't get in trouble for venting off steam, they actually start to open up a bit more.

One thing that I have started doing is instead of sending kids to the office, I give them a teacher detention, which means they have to come to my room before or after school. That way, we can talk about the problems in private and his/her friends think that he/she HAS to go because of a punishment.

What about rewards or punishments? My kids don't give a damn about a sticker or a call home to mom. It seems that my kids act right in my class because they like me, but as soon as they go to another person class, they get sent to the office.

One thing that I do is I have a lot of personal pictures on my desk. When they ask me about the pictures, I use the pictures to tell stories. "That s my step-brother Albert who dropped out of school and is in a gang. He always wanted to join the Marines, but they don't take drop outs." "This is Lawrence. He joined a gang in high school, then joined the Marines. When he got out, he went back to hanging out with his old friends, and is now hiding out in Mexico due to a federal warrant for his arrest." I think it makes me more human, more approachable.

I know that personalities have a lot to do with motivation, but is there anything else? I want my students to do well on a test because they WANT to do well on the test, not because they want to make me happy.

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » May 1st, 2005, 7:46 pm

At our schools we have the GREAT program. (Gang Resistance Education And Training) It works like the DARE program. It's new to us.
Here is the url

http://www.great-online.org/

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 1st, 2005, 7:48 pm

metal detectors have been working aight since 86 ---
im not sure if they have em in white hoods

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » May 1st, 2005, 7:50 pm

They wanted to put those in my school but they couldn't because there were too many kids to check. About 3,000 total. It would have taken all day.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » May 1st, 2005, 7:54 pm

that doesnt make sense ----- the metal detectors are walk thru. i know my school had at least 7000 heads at Freddy Doug High in Harlem and they did not so random searches on problem kids

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » May 1st, 2005, 8:06 pm

purplecityhello wrote:that doesnt make sense ----- the metal detectors are walk thru. i know my school had at least 7000 heads at Freddy Doug High in Harlem and they did not so random searches on problem kids
Maybe our school was just too lazy. I don't understand why they wouldn't. Maybe because we already had a strong police presence. It was a substation. Always 1 or 2 working. Along with security. If you want I can post a pic of the school... Yours had 7000 people and they used detectors? It didn't take long? We were also part of a new project in which they gave everyone a free laptop to use. There was a big outcry from all the suburban schools because they claimed that all we were going to do was steal them and sell them. It rarely happened. But I'm getting off topic so I'll end it here.

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » May 1st, 2005, 10:47 pm

Anesis wrote:So you don't think there is much else that can really be done other than just letting people express themselves?

I thin kthe best thing that I have used in my class is group discussions (once they get comfortable) and journals. If they don't want me to grade or comment on thr journal, they just write the international NO sign with my name in it. I still read the comments, but they don't get in trouble for what they write. Once they realize that they won't get in trouble for venting off steam, they actually start to open up a bit more.

One thing that I have started doing is instead of sending kids to the office, I give them a teacher detention, which means they have to come to my room before or after school. That way, we can talk about the problems in private and his/her friends think that he/she HAS to go because of a punishment.

What about rewards or punishments? My kids don't give a damn about a sticker or a call home to mom. It seems that my kids act right in my class because they like me, but as soon as they go to another person class, they get sent to the office.

One thing that I do is I have a lot of personal pictures on my desk. When they ask me about the pictures, I use the pictures to tell stories. "That s my step-brother Albert who dropped out of school and is in a gang. He always wanted to join the Marines, but they don't take drop outs." "This is Lawrence. He joined a gang in high school, then joined the Marines. When he got out, he went back to hanging out with his old friends, and is now hiding out in Mexico due to a federal warrant for his arrest." I think it makes me more human, more approachable.

I know that personalities have a lot to do with motivation, but is there anything else? I want my students to do well on a test because they WANT to do well on the test, not because they want to make me happy.
You can talk about your own ideas, i just gave you my oppinions. People can talk amongs themselves right? Its a freedom of speech and all i gotta say is keep it real stay true and positive. Thinking back when you was a child im pretty sure we lived and acted better. Just think about it.

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » May 2nd, 2005, 8:20 am

THERE WILL NEVER BE GANG PREVENTION, CUZ YOU CANT TELL ANYONE NOT TO DO OR WHAT U DO, WHATEVER YOU DO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND KEEP IT REAL TO YOURSELF AND JUST STAY SAFE.3X

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » May 2nd, 2005, 4:54 pm

BG MLOCO wrote:THERE WILL NEVER BE GANG PREVENTION, because YOU CANT TELL ANYONE NOT TO DO OR WHAT U DO, WHATEVER YOU DO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND KEEP IT REAL TO YOURSELF AND JUST STAY SAFE.3X
Their is no such thing as their will never be a gang prevention. So wutchu sayn loco? If ure lil brother was in a violent gang u wouldnt do nothing? not even preach or say nothn?

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » May 6th, 2005, 12:10 am

North Face is right be a mentor.Be real with them and straight up like you have been.Its worth it even if at times it seems like what your doing is not working, it does sink in sometimes.You seem like your on the right track in your classroom.As far as rewards your right stickers wont work if theyre not in elementary.Praise when they do a good job in class is a big ego booster and Kids thrive on that i think even if they dont seem like they care they do.Just keep doing what your doing and dont give up.So many kids are given up on and therefore give up in life, its great to see a teacher like you who cares.I dont think its hopeless.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 6th, 2005, 2:44 am

Thats right. A little youth I know wanted to talk recently. He was on his face, no paper in his pocket and a friend of his had just got out of prison - his friend had a plan to go round all our local train stations for the purpose of robbery at knifepoint. He wanted an opportunity to think about the temptation to make easy paper - we thought about what it would mean if he made that choice - about the vicyims - what if the victim were his mum? Or him? and so on. He didnt go with his friend, cos at the end of the day, he had enough self esteem and brains to resist. Street robbery is a scumbag thing to do, simple as, so I am very proud of my man for thinking straight.

BabyJesus
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BabyJesus » May 6th, 2005, 9:47 pm

Well, no not really but yesterday since it wuz Cinco de Mayo en der wuz rumors en shit bout hispanics killin blacc ppl, der wuz security evrywhere en shit en Bernard Parks came to our skool. Hardly eny blacc ppl came, en nothin happened though. Der shud be more security like that evry day. it reely helps.

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » May 9th, 2005, 8:24 am

TO NORTH FACE HELL YEA I WOULD PREACH TO HIM SHOW HIM MY WAR SCARS AND TRY MY BEST BUT I CANT FORCE HIM NOT TO DO IT, WHEN I WAS YOUNG I KNEW THE PROS AND CONS OF JOINING A GANG, BUT IT JUST CAUGHT UP with ME, AND I WISH HE WOULDNT JOIN A GANG BUT IF HE DO DECIDES TOO, THEN HEY I GOT TO DEAL with IT AND WATCH OUT FOR HIM A LIL EXTRA.3X

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 13th, 2005, 4:21 pm

Not related directly to school but one way to escape the criminal and deprived life of inner cities where im from is to be good at sport. 80% of children in these rough areas want to be professional footballers. They see stars like David Beckham earning £100,000 a week and think yeah, this what i wanna do.

Thats why when you look at the England National team it is 90% made up from players born in the countries most deprived districts (Manchester, Liverpool, East London).

Only problem is being good enough to get recognised.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 13th, 2005, 7:23 pm

Here, we have the "No Pass, No Play" rule courtesy of Ross Perot.

If you have failing grades, you are not eligible to play sports on the school sports team.

Also, some for kids, if they get ANY resistance at all, it is easier for them to quit than work to correct the situation. If they get kicked off the team for bad grades, it is easier for them to drop out than try to bring their grades up.

I have mixed feelings about "No Pass, No Play." Yeah, I want all of my students to make good grades and pass standardized testing, but they need to have something to look forward to at school. And if they are working to keep their grades up for athletics, that is still only external motivation. They don't have a desire to learn anything, they merely have the desire to stay in sports. But it's better than nothing.

Are students with decent grades (even if it is for sports) considered weak?

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » June 13th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Anesis wrote:Are students with decent grades (even if it is for sports) considered weak?
no because most people who go through college do it for more money in their job in the end so it's kind of the same situation as the one i quoted
i'm sure most people wouldn't go through school if there wasn't some kind of reward since most of it is boring as f---

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » June 14th, 2005, 2:46 am

Anesis wrote:Here, we have the "No Pass, No Play" rule ?
Dont matter how bad your grades are in England. If your a good player you will be in the sports teams, irrespective of grades.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”