50 greates boxers of all time

Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Golf, Rugby, Wrestling and any other sport.
TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

50 greates boxers of all time

Unread postby TomTom » September 19th, 2013, 10:58 am

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Joe Louis
5. Willie Pep
6. Roberto Duran
7. Benny Leonard
8. Jack Johnson
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Sam Langford
11. Joe Gans
12. Sugar Ray Leonard
13. Harry Greb
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jimmy Wilde
16. Gene Tunney
17. Mickey Walker
18. Archie Moore
19. Stanley Ketchel
20. George Foreman
21. Tony Canzoneri
22. Barney Ross
23. Jimmy McLarnin
24. Julio Cesar Chavez
25. Marcel Cerdan
26. Joe Frazier
27. Ezzard Charles
28. Jake LaMotta
29. Sandy Saddler
30. Terry McGovern
31. Billy Conn
32. Jose Napoles
33. Ruben Olivares
34. Emile Griffith
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Eder Jofre
37. Thomas Hearns
38. Larry Holmes
39. Oscar De La Hoya
40. Evander Holyfield
41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
42. Alexis Arguello
43. Marco Antonio Barrera
44. Pernell Whitaker
45. Carlos Monzon
46. Roy Jones Jr.
47. Bernard Hopkins
48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
49. Erik Morales
50. Mike Tyson

http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/50_greatest.htm

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: 50 greates boxers of all time

Unread postby TomTom » September 19th, 2013, 11:14 am

Do you all agree with this list? Putting Sugar Ray Robinson over Muhammad Ali is a good debate but Roberto Duran over Sugar Ray Leonard after the infamous “No Mas” fight?
Julio Caesar Chavez over Marvelous Marvin Hagler? Are you kidding me?
I will tell you what would have been a great fight if both of these guys were in their prime: Pernel" Sweet Pea" Whitaker vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Or how about Mike Tyson in his prime VS George Forman. Both of those guys had that power style of boxing.

Damn; what happened to boxing? I miss that sport for real. It has gotten too boring now for me to watch.
But yea Roberto Duran was great but just go back to those clips where Duran was in the corner hollering at “No Mas No Mas”..Bruh didn’t want any more of that.For those that didn’t watch boxing that match was so popular you can just type in No Mas fight with out even putting in names and it will pull up. Peeps let me know what yall think of this list though.

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby TomTom » September 19th, 2013, 11:18 am

Oh and another one. Rocky Marciano had a great career after finishing undefeated, but I just can’t see him beating Holyfield in Holyfield’s prime.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » September 19th, 2013, 12:20 pm

BS list. Writer's goal was to stir a debate. Robinson over Ali I can see that but Foreman, Griffith, Chavez and Duran over Hagler is stupid as shit. All were great fighters, but Hagler was dominant. You thought middleweight, you thought Hagler. IF not for the Olypics and his "Hollywood image", I could argue that Hagler was better then Leonard as well.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 19th, 2013, 1:21 pm

TomTom wrote:1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Joe Louis---I really enjoy watching him fight, love his punching mechanics.
5. Willie Pep
6. Roberto Duran---@135 Duran was an animal. Straight old school.
7. Benny Leonard
8. Jack Johnson
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Sam Langford
11. Joe Gans
12. Sugar Ray Leonard---Another one of my favorite fighters to watch. Great speed of hand and foot, good power, combination puncher, and when he hurt his opponent, he would finish him.
13. Harry Greb
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jimmy Wilde
16. Gene Tunney
17. Mickey Walker
18. Archie Moore---This guy is really fun to watch. He was so crafty, shit he had to be in order to fight as long as he did.
19. Stanley Ketchel
20. George Foreman
21. Tony Canzoneri
22. Barney Ross
23. Jimmy McLarnin
24. Julio Cesar Chavez
25. Marcel Cerdan
26. Joe Frazier
27. Ezzard Charles---Another good fighter that is fun to watch.
28. Jake LaMotta
29. Sandy Saddler
30. Terry McGovern
31. Billy Conn
32. Jose Napoles
33. Ruben Olivares
34. Emile Griffith
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Eder Jofre
37. Thomas Hearns
38. Larry Holmes---I've always liked Holmes. He had a great jab.
39. Oscar De La Hoya
40. Evander Holyfield---Warrior with great technique.
41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
42. Alexis Arguello
43. Marco Antonio Barrera---He was a great fighter, I always enjoyed his fights, especially when he kicked hameds ass.
44. Pernell Whitaker---Another all time great. Just because he doesn't have a high KO % he doesn't get enough credit. Often thought of as a feather fisted runner by casual fans.
45. Carlos Monzon
46. Roy Jones Jr.---I respect all fighters, but I was never really a fan of Jones. To me he relied on his athletically abilities too much.
47. Bernard Hopkins---Another old schooler. Now he's the opposite of Jones Jr. He does everything technically correct.
48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
49. Erik Morales---Good fighter but never been a fan of his. I prefered JMM & Barrera boxing style to his.
50. Mike Tyson

No mention of Ricardo Lopez.

http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/50_greatest.htm

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby TomTom » September 19th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Yea Roy Jones Jr was cold with the hands most def. And Bernard Hopkins seemed to have that hood and aggressive style of boxing. Almost like Hagler. Come to think about it; I am surprised they put Oscar De La hoya over Floyd Mayweather Jr.
What is a shame is how Mike Tyson for a while was being dubbed as the best pound for pound boxer when his career first kicked off. Then bruh just hit rock bottom. Say what you want but when Tyson was in his prime; bruh was vicious. I guess that prison bid hurt his career more than anything. I still remember him getting beat by James “Buster” Douglas. I was so heated I damn near threw something at the TV.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread postby Quepolo3 » September 19th, 2013, 7:39 pm

I don't agree with this list at all. IMO, I would have ranked many of the fighters differently. There are fighter not listed that should be. For Instance, how can you put Alexis Arguello (who was a great fighter) but not put Aaron Pryor. I would put Macho Camacho in front of several of the fighters listed. I personally thought that Shane Mosley, Zab Judah and a few others were better than some of the people listed.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 19th, 2013, 11:12 pm

I'm a fan of Mosley and Judah, you can check my previous posts, I've never had anything bad to say about either of them, but because Shane had used PED's, I don't think he should be allowed on any greatest list.

As for Judah, that dude just disappoints me. I will always root for him, but he comes up short most of the time.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread postby Sentenza » September 19th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Is this an american only list? There are some german boxers that would belong in the top 50 at least.

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby TomTom » September 20th, 2013, 6:24 am

What German boxers are you talking about?

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby TomTom » September 20th, 2013, 6:27 am

Zab Judah and Hector “Macho” Camacho were both great fighters, but I don’t know if they would have made my top 50 list.

attila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: amsterdam

Unread postby attila » September 20th, 2013, 7:01 am

Chris Eubank

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 20th, 2013, 7:20 am

Sentenza wrote:Is this an american only list? There are some german boxers that would belong in the top 50 at least.

Duran is from Panama, and Chavez is from Mexico, so it can't be just an American list.

What German fighters would you add to the list?

Even though I'm a big fan of Zab Judah, I don't think belongs on the list either.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 20th, 2013, 7:25 am

attila wrote:Chris Eubank

"Simply The Best" dude had style.....ha ha ha

Would have loved to seen him and James Toney fight.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » September 20th, 2013, 9:12 am

Mosley and Judah do not belong...Judah has not lived up to his potential at all.

I would put Hopkins higher due to him still being active and top tier in the sport. Hopkins vs. Hagler would have been classic.

Thinking more about Holmes....he should have been higher as well. He was as dominant a boxer at HW that you could be during his reign. He had that whole period between the end of Ali and the beginning of Tyson era to himself...nobody can say that Spinx Jinx really beat him.

Que I agree...no Arguello if there is no Pryor...at that time only Leonard and Hearns were more dominant then Pryor.

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby TomTom » September 20th, 2013, 10:30 am

Yea I most definitely have to give more props to Thomas”the Hitman” Hearns”. Hold up; Hagler did put it on Hearns in the fight dubbed as “The War:. Yea I remember that. Hagler rocked Hearns and then Hearns started Smiling, but ended up getting rocked to the point where he couldn’t go anymore. Great great fight..

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » September 20th, 2013, 11:49 am

Sweet P was misunderstood for his time. He did not get the respect he deserved for his skill set. He was not a KO artist but made guys look stupid like Mayweather does now. Oso, Whitaker never peaked in the publics eyes until they put him up against De La Hoya. If anyone remembers, Whitaker fought a Cuban before he fought De La Hoya that was actually giving him troubles...he may have been leading on the score cards before he ran out of gas. It really looked like the ref let Sweet P punish the boy before stopping that fight.

And James Toney? He has issues but his skills were top notch during his run. Timing was bad because of Roy Jones.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 20th, 2013, 2:20 pm

@160 & 168 James Toney was the man, well at least to me he was. I really liked the way he boxed. His performance against Iran Barkley was excellent.

About Whitaker having trouble fighting a Cuban, it doesn't ring a bell to me, I'm going to check into it that one.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » September 20th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Look up old HBO fights. It was right before the De La Hoya fight...the Cuban was countering him and making him work hard. At the end, he stopped the kid...which is not the norm for Whitaker. The ref let him hit the kid with 4 or 5 clean shots before stopping it.

Yeah, Toney just peaked when Roy Jones did. They both dominated Middleweight at times...moved up and in some ways mirrored each other. Toney should not have played with Jones and all that speed....that loss put Jones over him from a career standpoint.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby cliffard » September 20th, 2013, 4:48 pm

chris eubank? whose been smoking sherm? im english and even i dont see eubank as one of the goat...i always liked nigel benn better, but he was never the same after the mclellan fight...

fair play for jimmy wilde 'the ghost with a hammer in his hand' but what about bob fitzsimmons? a middleweight that battered the heavies of the time? and ted 'kid' lewis? i dont get what americans have got against calzaghe either...or lennox for that matter...

if you wanna take it back to the bare knuckle era, the first heavyweight champion of the world, tom cribb, beat tom molyneaux, a black american...jem mace, a middleweight that fought heavies...

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 20th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Coup wrote:Look up old HBO fights. It was right before the De La Hoya fight...the Cuban was countering him and making him work hard. At the end, he stopped the kid...which is not the norm for Whitaker. The ref let him hit the kid with 4 or 5 clean shots before stopping it.

I found the fight on Youtube. I only had time to watch one round but I'll finish watching the rest of the fight tonight.

About James Toney, it was you or someone that had mentioned he had some problems. Yeah I know, he was inconsistent with his training and diet, otherwise he would have accomplished a lot more in his career.

Like I said, @160 & 168 Toney had the boxing style that I really admired. Toney, Mayweather, Whitaker, JMM, Moore, Louis, Charles, Hasegawa, Walcott, Donaire, Ricardo Lopez, and many others I like to watch, based on their style of boxing. I don't care if they suffered any losses or not, its fun to watch how these fighter's move and execute their techniques.

Check out George Benton, any of his moves look familiar?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 20th, 2013, 8:00 pm

cliffard wrote:chris eubank? whose been smoking sherm? im english and even i dont see eubank as one of the goat...i always liked nigel benn better, but he was never the same after the mclellan fight

You had me rolling with that one. :lol:

Hey it's just someone's opinion. Just like that list, that's their opinion.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread postby Sentenza » September 21st, 2013, 11:17 am

oso1 wrote:
Sentenza wrote:Is this an american only list? There are some german boxers that would belong in the top 50 at least.

Duran is from Panama, and Chavez is from Mexico, so it can't be just an American list.

What German fighters would you add to the list?

Even though I'm a big fan of Zab Judah, I don't think belongs on the list either.

TomTom wrote:What German boxers are you talking about?

There are some that wrote history.

Max Schmeling vs Joe Lewis was the biggest thing during their times (1930s). It also had implications on Schmeling because he became friends with Lewis, which was heavily frowned upon in Nazi Germany. But during his times he was one of the best in the world.

Henry Maske sucked in my eyes, but he was pretty succesful too. Didnt like his slow ass fighting style though.

I think at least one of the Klitschkos belongs into that list, even though they are only kind of german.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » September 21st, 2013, 4:08 pm

If any Klitschkos end up on any all time boxing list then that list is automatically trashed.

The HW division is so watered down it is crazy. These dudes are dividing a pie that is half baked. I would not even add Lennox Lewis to an all time list. After Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, the HW division has been complete garbage. Not blaming the Klitschkos or HBO...it just is what it is. The money and best fighters today are in the LW through Super MW divisions.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread postby Sentenza » September 21st, 2013, 4:43 pm

Coup wrote:If any Klitschkos end up on any all time boxing list then that list is automatically trashed.

The HW division is so watered down it is crazy. These dudes are dividing a pie that is half baked. I would not even add Lennox Lewis to an all time list. After Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, the HW division has been complete garbage. Not blaming the Klitschkos or HBO...it just is what it is. The money and best fighters today are in the LW through Super MW divisions.

They are pretty succesfull though, like them or not...They are not spectacular like Ali or Tyson, but they drop their opponents.

If Joe Luis is ranked 4. of all time, Max Schmeling is up there. He beat Joe Luis in their first fight.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread postby alexalonso » September 24th, 2013, 2:39 am

Felix Trinidad, Rpy Jones Jr.?

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby TomTom » September 24th, 2013, 12:58 pm

I forgot about Felix Trinidad. He was cold with the hands as well

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread postby alexalonso » September 24th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Zab Judah needed to beat Costa Tszyou to be considered a great 140 lb fighter and he never was the same after that.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » September 24th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Zab with all his talent shouldn't have lost to
Spinks,
Baldomir,
Clottey,
Khan,
Danny Garcia,
Cotto is a 50/50 but I chose Judah on that one.
Kostya, was a tuff one to call.
and I thought Zab was going to beat Matthysse too.

If he would have won all those fight's convincingly, he would be placed a lot higher than where he is at now.

Two other fighters that disappoint their fans, Spadafora and Collazo.

Tricky69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Desert

Unread postby Tricky69 » September 30th, 2013, 10:16 pm

How about Bobby?

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » October 28th, 2013, 3:13 pm

oso1 wrote:
Coup wrote:Look up old HBO fights. It was right before the De La Hoya fight...the Cuban was countering him and making him work hard. At the end, he stopped the kid...which is not the norm for Whitaker. The ref let him hit the kid with 4 or 5 clean shots before stopping it.

I found the fight on Youtube. I only had time to watch one round but I'll finish watching the rest of the fight tonight.

About James Toney, it was you or someone that had mentioned he had some problems. Yeah I know, he was inconsistent with his training and diet, otherwise he would have accomplished a lot more in his career.

Like I said, @160 & 168 Toney had the boxing style that I really admired. Toney, Mayweather, Whitaker, JMM, Moore, Louis, Charles, Hasegawa, Walcott, Donaire, Ricardo Lopez, and many others I like to watch, based on their style of boxing. I don't care if they suffered any losses or not, its fun to watch how these fighter's move and execute their techniques.

Check out George Benton, any of his moves look familiar?

Philly shoulder role

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » October 28th, 2013, 11:42 pm

That's right.

I see some Toney and Mayweather.

Return to “All Sports Talk”