Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez

Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Golf, Rugby, Wrestling and any other sport.
Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez

Unread postby Coup » February 20th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Should be an entertaining fight! Martinez is one of my favorite boxers but with Roach now Cotto's trainer this could be very interesting. I am going to look at Cotto's last fight again before I form an opinion on this one.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Cotto vs. Martinez

Unread postby oso1 » February 20th, 2014, 5:26 pm

At what weight are they fighting at, 154 or 160?

A healthy Martinez would win, but not long ago he suffered some injuries which evens out the playing field for Cotto.

This is a good fight, I wouldn't mind paying to watch it.

Bunknown
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: unknown

Unread postby Bunknown » February 21st, 2014, 9:32 am

Cotto hasn't been the same since Margarito II. He suffered brain damage.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » February 21st, 2014, 9:53 am

159lb if the reports are right. Cotto has a shot. Martinez had surgery on his knee that he hurt when he fought Chavez.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » February 21st, 2014, 8:47 pm

Bunknown wrote:Cotto hasn't been the same since Margarito II. He suffered brain damage.

In their rematch, Cotto came back to beat Margarito, and even though he lost, he gave a good account of himself against Floyd Mayweather.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby oso1 » February 21st, 2014, 8:52 pm

Coup wrote:159lb if the reports are right. Cotto has a shot. Martinez had surgery on his knee that he hurt when he fought Chavez.

Yeah I remember that. I didn't see his last fight, but I heard he didn't look too good. Those injuries and his age are catching up to him, but at 159 lbs, I wonder if Cotto can take his punches.

I think Cotto was better off with trainer Pedro Diaz.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » February 24th, 2014, 9:52 am

As a Martinez fan he looked like shit his last fight. If it was not in Argentina who knows what would have happened.

Cotto has that fighters toughness. Roach trained Chavez and claims to know Martinez's weaknesses. I don't know if Cotto can KO him, but outbox him maybe.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread postby alexalonso » February 24th, 2014, 11:44 am

The fight is scheduled for June 7, 2014

from ESPN:

They will meet at a maximum contract weight of 159 pounds, one below the middleweight maximum of 160, according to duBoef. Shaving one pound from the division limit is a concession to the smaller Cotto, although Martinez is not a big middleweight and has long said that for the right fight he would drop down to the 154-pound junior middleweight division, where he once held a world title.

Cotto, 33, who has won world titles at junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight, is aiming to become the first Puerto Rican fighter to win world titles in four weight divisions. And he will do it against the recognized 160-pound champion, not just an alphabet titleholder.

"I am very happy to be back in my second home, Madison Square Garden in New York, to once again make history in front of my fans," Cotto said. "I will be ready and prepared to do whatever it takes to bring the WBC middleweight title of the world to my country of Puerto Rico."

Said duBoef, "I've been with Miguel since 2000 and I have seen all of his accomplishments, and I believe this will be another landmark for him. He's had a Hall of Fame career and will show it again with his ability to move from 140 pounds [where he started] to 160."

Immediately after Cotto (38-4, 31 KOs) ended a two-fight losing streak by knocking out Delvin Rodriguez in an explosive performance Oct. 5 in Orlando, Fla. -- Cotto's first fight working with Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach -- he said he wanted to fight Martinez next.

"Cotto and Freddie are the ones who said that this is the fight they want," duBoef said. "Freddie faced Martinez with [Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.]. He knows what they are facing."

Martinez (51-2-2, 28 KOs), who will make his seventh title defense, will fight for the first time since April 2013, when he got knocked down and narrowly outpointed England's Martin Murray in an Argentina homecoming fight before a crowd of about 50,000 at a soccer stadium in Buenos Aires. Now Martinez, who turns 39 on Friday, is coming to Madison Square Garden, the arena that Cotto has packed with his large Puerto Rican following many times.

"It has been my dream to fight in the big room at Madison Square Garden, a place where many great fighters have showcased their talents." Martinez said. "It is the biggest stage in the world and the world will be watching this fight."

Said Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter, "Styles make fights, and both Sergio and Cotto will be looking for knockouts."

DiBella added that the Martinez camp agreed to the deal several weeks ago, but "we have been waiting on Cotto and Top Rank. That's why this thing took so long to get done, but this is the fight Sergio really wanted."

There is some bad blood between the fighters stemming from an incident a few years ago when they ran into each other at a television studio in Mexico. Martinez, as the story goes, was excited to meet Cotto and went to shake his hand only to get blown off. Martinez has wanted to fight him since.

Negotiations for the bout were also rocky as Cotto made many demands that annoyed Martinez, not the least of which is one thing that Martinez gave in on -- that the fight is officially being billed as "Cotto-Martinez," even though Martinez, as champion, typically would be listed first under usual boxing protocol.

"Sergio is a proud man, and he will use all of that stuff, all of the disrespect as motivation," DiBella said. "He told me that when he knocks Cotto out, nobody is going to care what the fight was called."

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez

Unread postby Coup » February 28th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Martinez has slowed down....Cotto has too though. Roach really believes that he has figured Martinez out. With the supposed bad blood this fight should be a good one.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » June 9th, 2014, 9:24 am

Damn!!! Did not see that coming. Cotto beat the shit out of Martinez....it was not even close. Martinez was done from round 1. Cotto v. Mayweather 2 is heating up. The smart money though will be Cotto vs. Canelo before he asks for that rematch.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread postby Quepolo3 » June 10th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Martinez just didn't seem to be like the old Martinez. I don't know if it was because Cotto was thumping him, but he has clearly lost a lot. Canelo vs. Cotto, sounds good, but I don't think he needs to get back in there with Mayweather.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby Coup » June 10th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Yeah they will feed off that Puerto Rican v. Mexican history.....

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread postby alexalonso » June 10th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Cotto came on point. Was surprised to see Martinez go down 3 times in the first round. Even though he lasted to round 10, I dont think a fighter should continue if he goes down 3 times in one round.

Return to “All Sports Talk”