D-Day

An open section to speak about anything on your mind from News, politics, Conspiracy Theories, and any random street or urban event.
streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

D-Day

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » June 6th, 2007, 3:36 pm

I'm tired of hearing everytime D-Day is mentioned that the US helped turned the tide in WW2 to defeat Nazi Germany. Everyone knows that it was the Soviet Union who turned that tide starting in Stalingrad. The soviet Union won that war almost single handedly. I know the U.S. poured equimpent and food into the Soviet Union but they payed with blood. They did the actual fighting. D-Day would never have been possible without Russia being in that war and taking up most of Germany's attention.
The U.S. likes to over-glorify what it does around the world. Lets be honest and give credit to where it's due. When is the last time the USA won a war without allies? The Spanish American War in Cuba probably.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Re: D-Day

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » June 6th, 2007, 3:48 pm

streetsIswatchin wrote:I'm tired of hearing everytime D-Day is mentioned that the US helped turned the tide in WW2 to defeat Nazi Germany. Everyone knows that it was the Soviet Union who turned that tide starting in Stalingrad. The soviet Union won that war almost single handedly. I know the U.S. poured equimpent and food into the Soviet Union but they payed with blood. They did the actual fighting. D-Day would never have been possible without Russia being in that war and taking up most of Germany's attention.
The U.S. likes to over-glorify what it does around the world. Lets be honest and give credit to where it's due. When is the last time the USA won a war without allies? The Spanish American War in Cuba probably.
thats just how we get down.
Americans for the most part only think bout America.
The government do be like look at what WE did alot tho to other countries.
Imaging how much shit we gonna be talkin if we do establish a stable government in Iraq.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » June 6th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Without allies the US would be nothing. We blame Bush for amping up situations to get the people to believe it...however thats what the country has been built on.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » June 6th, 2007, 8:54 pm

streetsIswatchin wrote:I'm tired of hearing everytime D-Day is mentioned that the US helped turned the tide in WW2 to defeat Nazi Germany. Everyone knows that it was the Soviet Union who turned that tide starting in Stalingrad. The soviet Union won that war almost single handedly. I know the U.S. poured equimpent and food into the Soviet Union but they payed with blood. They did the actual fighting. D-Day would never have been possible without Russia being in that war and taking up most of Germany's attention.
I have to agree. Russias losses also were huge. Something around 25 million Russians died. They took the biggest effort up on them to win the war.

Rokz

Unread post by Rokz » June 10th, 2007, 11:06 am

i think all of the allies played a major part in d day, uc ant say one specific army was the key because without one we wouldve lost

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » June 12th, 2007, 1:07 am

Single handedly? i dunno bout that, the russians eventually broke thru on the eastern front, only after losing millions, they have the highest amount of casualties ever in the 2nd world war.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » June 12th, 2007, 11:30 am

They lost millions of men, but yes they did single handedly beat Germany. The war was already going to be won by the Soviet Union when D-Day occured. D-Day just made the war end a little faster. The American Army wouldnt have had the heart to take on as many casualties as the Russians did. Can you imagine the US losing 20+ millions men? No way. They would have negotiated with Hitler... despite what you heard.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 15th, 2007, 7:42 am

Here are some estimates about the number of casualties and the amount of destruction the SU had to take:

Country Population 1939 Military deaths Civilian deaths Jewish Holocaust deaths Total deaths Deaths as % of population

Soviet Union[50] 175,500,000 10,700,000 11,900,000 1,000,000 23,600,000 13.44%

Country Branch of service Number served Killed/missing Wounded Prisoner of war Percent killed

Soviet Union 1941-45 All branches of service[7,85-87] 34,476,700 8,668,400 14,685,593 4,059,000 25.1%

I also read somewhere that no less then 17,000 Cities have been completely destroyed leaving dozens of millions or Russians homeless for some time, but i couldnt find where i got that from anymore.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » June 15th, 2007, 7:46 am

Oh shit, it messed it up, ok once again.

Country Population 1939 175,500,000
Military deaths 10,700,000
Civilian deaths 11,900,000
Jewish Holocaust deaths 1,000,000
Total deaths 23,600,000
Deaths as % of population 13.44%

Country Soviet Union 1941-45
Branch of service All branches of service
Number served 34,476,700
Killed/missing 8,668,400
Wounded 14,685,593
Prisoner of war 4,059,000
Percent killed 25.1%

Axis of Evil
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Axis of Evil » July 8th, 2007, 6:31 pm

battle for london was a major turning point also

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 8th, 2007, 6:54 pm

yeah but we made Japan surrender

Return to “Open Section for Other Random Topics & Controverisal issues”