Keffiyehs Scarf - gang behavio?

An open section to speak about anything on your mind from News, politics, Conspiracy Theories, and any random street or urban event.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Keffiyehs Scarf - gang behavio?

Unread postby alexalonso » November 12th, 2008, 2:26 pm

the below quote is written by a Jersey city detective explaining the gang connection to Keffiyeh cloths

-----------------
The keffiyeh or scarf you are referring to is often worn by gang members in my town. Originally they were being worn by blood members,some, who claimed ties to the Taliban, Dip set or UBN homies. Then we started observing them being worn by or Hoover deuce population,obviously in different colors. The scarf which was once a symbol of Palestinian identity is now largely imported from China. Thereby, creating a reduction in cost, making them much more accessible to members of the general public. Many of the people wearing them now have no ties to gangs
and do not wear them for religious beliefs. I know of an incident where a young man wearing a Keffiyeh was confronted by gang members for wearing the scarf.

He did not know the proper responses after being G checked. Also an Oklahoma school district lost a court case for violating the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment, for refusing to allow a young Muslim female student from wearing her scarf. If you are going to take Keffiyehs from your students you should probably connect it to "gang related" behavior.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Re: Keffiyehs Scarf - gang behavio?

Unread postby Cold Bear » November 13th, 2008, 6:59 am

Just like with anything, clothing items change significance. you got for instance dudes all over the BX and BK and Harlem wearing the rosaries, both Black and Spanish kids. You can differentiate the dudes who wear it for religious reasons, for fashion reasons, or for gang reasons. Some people even started to say the rosaries are 'a gang thing' but usually it's just when they rock the blue or red rosaries, or if they got five rosaries on (ride the 5) etc. and they do that because they're going to get stopped by police for straight up flagging. So it's a different way to show affiliation.

Never heard this about keffiyeh's though but I'm not surprised. I think that shit has been played for a minute. Dudes from NY said they were doing that in the early nineties and it's been on the rise since I been here in '99. White girls, especially.

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby MiChuhSuh » December 16th, 2008, 4:26 am

WTF? Fuck these out of towners coming up with weird shit. This is supposed to be basic clothing not gang related, what the hell is wrong with people? And even rosaries? Are these weirdos gonna start wearing different colored yarmulkes/kippah to different sides and make that "gang related" too? Fuck it, why not throw in pencil pouches, backpacks, police badges, all different colors and worn in different way, and we can just start banning the shit out of everything from school.

Jersey city detective explaining the gang connection to Keffiyeh cloths

^ MISLEADING wording, there is no "gang connection to Keffiyeh cloths" there are some jackass gang member using it that way, keffiyat are for protection from environmental exposure (sun, dust, etc). US AND BRITISH TROOPS IN DESERT AREAS ARE ALL ISSUED STANDARD KEFFIYAT. Is there "gang connection" to plastic toothbrushes because they are sharpened to use as shanks in prison?

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread postby Cold Bear » December 16th, 2008, 6:47 am

The rest of the US is 'out of towners' to NYC dude. Keep things in perspective. I personally don't believe this story about the keffiyehs I think it's an overreaction by the police and authorities at seeing children of color rocking what some would call 'a terrorist scarf'. As far as the rosaries, yeah, it doesn't look bad at all. Dominicans of course and other Latinos will wear rosaries and beads a lot, and Black dudes picked up on it and, even if it wasn't a gang, I'm telling you EVERY SINGLE dude in the hood last summer had at least one rosary on in Brooklyn and BX, if they fell in a certain age group. Obviously some do it different to show affiliation.

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread postby MiChuhSuh » December 16th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Cold Bear wrote:As far as the rosaries, yeah, it doesn't look bad at all. Dominicans of course and other Latinos will wear rosaries and beads a lot, and Black dudes picked up on it and, even if it wasn't a gang, I'm telling you EVERY SINGLE dude in the hood last summer had at least one rosary on in Brooklyn and BX, if they fell in a certain age group. Obviously some do it different to show affiliation.

That's crazy, direct corruption and hijacking of religion and culture. I'm not Catholic but that's disrespectful to Catholics.

As far as the NY thing, I love NY but come on, keffiyat, rosaries, Islamic cultures, all turned into banging shit there.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread postby $outhPhillypuppet » December 19th, 2008, 8:19 am

dudes use the solid colored ones as stick up gear 'round here.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread postby Cold Bear » December 19th, 2008, 9:52 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:As far as the rosaries, yeah, it doesn't look bad at all. Dominicans of course and other Latinos will wear rosaries and beads a lot, and Black dudes picked up on it and, even if it wasn't a gang, I'm telling you EVERY SINGLE dude in the hood last summer had at least one rosary on in Brooklyn and BX, if they fell in a certain age group. Obviously some do it different to show affiliation.

That's crazy, direct corruption and hijacking of religion and culture. I'm not Catholic but that's disrespectful to Catholics.

As far as the NY thing, I love NY but come on, keffiyat, rosaries, Islamic cultures, all turned into banging shit there.

It's just street shit that overlaps into dudes that do the gang thing. The two worlds are never separate, like White T's for instance, dudes wear the shit outta some white T's and either do or don't bang.

Triggeration
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sin City

Unread postby Triggeration » February 7th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Dont know if it's gang behavior or not, but that shit looks so boo boo.

Return to “Open Section for Other Random Topics & Controverisal issues”