Chinese, the Olympics and Tibet

Discuss Afghanistan [Afġānistān, افغانستان], Bahrain, Brunei, Cambodia, China [中华/中華, Zhonghua], East Timor, Indonesia, Iran [Irān, جمهوری اسلامی ایران], Iraq [al-‘Irāq, العراق], Israel [מְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל, Yisrā'el], Japan [日本国], Jordan [Al-Mamlaka al-Urduniyya al-Hashemiyya], Korea [한국, Hanguk], Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nippon, Oman, Pakistan [Pākistān, اسلامی جمہوریۂ پاکستان], Palestine [As-Sulṭa Al-Filasṭīniyya,السلطة الوطنية الفلسطينية], Philipines [Pilipinas, pɪlɪˈpinɐs], Qatar, Saudi Arabia [as-Su‘ūdīyah, as-Su‘ūdīyah], Singapore [Singapura, 新加坡共和国], Syria, Taiwan, Thailand [Thai, ราชอาณาจักรไทย], United Arab Emirates [دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة], Vietnam [Việt Nam].and Yemen.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Chinese, the Olympics and Tibet

Unread post by alexalonso » March 25th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Has anyone seen the people of Tibet protest the human rights violations by the Chinese government during Olympic events?

61deuce
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Minneapolis

Unread post by 61deuce » March 26th, 2008, 12:49 am

I read about it and I think the Tibetans pick the right time to do it because of all the medias in China (for the Olympic). Not sure if its a good idea on their (Tibetans) behalf because that country is pretty much run by the Chinese government. Hope it don't turn out like the Tianamen Square protest back in 1989.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » March 26th, 2008, 2:08 am

well Tibet is not a country, and because of the proximity to rivers in the Tibetan region, China will not want to give that area independence. It is a modern day colonialization. Pray for those people and be grateful that you live with some form of freedom.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » March 26th, 2008, 7:18 am

-wasnt tibet a part of china during before the british became involved with the politics, and the red army was just re conquering tibet because historically it was there property? They didnt need to re conquer land that was still technically part of china

-could all this independence talk be remnants of the british ambitions in the area years ago? Before all this did the americans and british want tibet to be independent because of human rights or freedom it was all political

http://www.index-china.com/index-english/Tibet-s.html

I was reading from alot of sources that tibetans were enslaved by there own rich people, was the dali lama of old a slave owner? ill let you decide

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » March 26th, 2008, 10:07 am

whiskeyjack wrote:-wasnt tibet a part of china during before the british became involved with the politics, and the red army was just re conquering tibet because historically it was there property? They didnt need to re conquer land that was still technically part of china
Tibet was part of the Chinese Empire on and off. But there was also a time when large parts of todays China were part of the Tibetian Empire. Ethnically and culturally speaking, Tibet is their own thing.
I wouldnt be surprised if Taiwan and other areas in China will use the Olympic Games too to express their anger against the central government.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 9th, 2008, 8:06 am

Sentenza wrote:
whiskeyjack wrote:-wasnt tibet a part of china during before the british became involved with the politics, and the red army was just re conquering tibet because historically it was there property? They didnt need to re conquer land that was still technically part of china
Tibet was part of the Chinese Empire on and off. But there was also a time when large parts of todays China were part of the Tibetian Empire. Ethnically and culturally speaking, Tibet is their own thing.
I wouldnt be surprised if Taiwan and other areas in China will use the Olympic Games too to express their anger against the central government.
what dou think the reaction will be like in the xingyang province of china?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » April 26th, 2008, 11:10 am

whiskeyjack wrote:
Sentenza wrote:
what dou think the reaction will be like in the xingyang province of china?
Probably the same. The chinese government said that some of those people there have ties to Al-Qaeda and even though i wouldnt doubt that, since its very close to Afghanistan and Pakistan i do not believe anything the chinese goverment says.

Return to “Middle East / South East / Far East - Asia”